More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 16:53:40

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  Pudding Factory
| | |-+  Fargo Updated
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Fargo Updated  (Read 61117 times)
Baronetess
spaceface
Retarded Reprobate

Lost in Middle-earth

View Profile
Re: Springville
« Reply #50 on: 2010 February 17, 08:04:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had some huge lags the first time I played, but after that not. I did not put down too many houses, maybe 10, and I only put one sim in the town and let the game do the rest. So I assume that lags were caused by AM running story mode and inserting sims into the town. I am playing the first version of Fargo and there are no problems with routing, other than where the path disappears at one or 2 points.

More F than you
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2010 February 17, 08:06:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since towns start out empty, the initial lag tends to be the basic NPCs spawning.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Tingeling
Malodorous Moron

- Big Cat AIDE - and proud of it!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2010 February 17, 10:57:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really like Fargo, so it is reassuring to hear it may be other issues creating the lag. I wonder though how long the NPC spawning is supposed to occur? I have played the first Fargo copy for almost a whole generation now. Admittedly, I like to put down many houses in my worlds, so that might be the cause of the choppiness. I hope not, though.

@The_Goddess: Have you given any thought as to whether or not you will be putting up the CAW files for Fargo on the site? Not to be a nag or anything, but I truly enjoy this world and it would be nice to be able to edit it to my own particular preferences.

- INTJ -
blackcat
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2010 February 17, 16:33:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@The_Goddess: Have you given any thought as to whether or not you will be putting up the CAW files for Fargo on the site? Not to be a nag or anything, but I truly enjoy this world and it would be nice to be able to edit it to my own particular preferences.
Yes, I would like CAW files too, since I really like the urban area, but would like to paint it with asphalt for more city look. This town has everything I needed and wanted. Really, really like it!
blackcat
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2010 March 12, 22:09:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry, for double post, but it's been a while since last one.
I have no idea why, but sims from non-controllable families go to community lots almost always on foot, no matter the distance. There are some that do use cars or bicycles, but there are lots of sims who try to hike across a hood. If I switch to that family, cancel the action and then immediately tell sim to go to that same location he uses taxi or car. This happens only in this hood in multiple different saves. I also believe that this behavior causes non stop freezes when I try to play in this hood, which makes it impossible. Since I populated the first save I've been constantly testing, trying different setups and starting all over to figure out the reason, and this seems to be it. Have no idea what may be causing this.
Does anybody else has the same problem with this hood or maybe there is a newer version available?
The_Goddess
Garrulous Gimp

You know how to whistle, don't you?

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2010 March 12, 23:58:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I only have the one version.  I did have to fix a few roads and reposted the updated version just 3 days after the first unveiling.  Other than that I'm playing the same hood.  I have notice a lot of pedestrians.  Personally I like it.  All of my households own one or two cars and a bike or two as well.  I see a lot of cars on the road and bikes two.  I believe the game limits the amount of cars on the road at any given time.  If you have lots of people that might account for it seeming excessive to you.  It seems as if my Sims are more active in this town then in any other town I've played.  I love how they all seem to gather at the center of town in and near the center park.

I also found it little funny how some Sims cut through other Sims yards to get to the market, but I had seen similar behavior in Riverview, when I played that hood.  I really did not use all that many sidewalks as I think they look funny without a road next to them.  Now I know you can have invisible sidewalks.  That would have allowed me to choose where their short cuts would be.  It also means that the amount of pedestrians seems higher because they are all along the road and not on back trails.

As for the freezes, I really don't get very many of them.  Occasionally I'll get a slight pause, I zoom in or out and it starts right up again.  I guess there could be routing issues, but I've never seen a stuck Sim, and I know better than to use Supreme Commander in my hood.  I put spawners on the island.  If you have Sims living on the Island and they decide to come in to town, you will have a serious routing issue.  I decided the island was a bad idea and bulldozed the homes I had there.  My next world will be a bit different.  I don't think I will make that one available, because I have plans for it to be even bigger.  That means that people who are not playing on a rocking gamming rig might have serious lag problems.
blackcat
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2010 March 13, 08:48:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you for reply.
I have the updated version with fixed roads. I have maximum the same amount of people as in Sunset Valley(about 80 total, with service). No houses on island.
I get freezes all the time, the frequency depends on how many neighbors are there. If there is only one(active) family in hood, then there are no freezes at all. As hood gets more populated the freezes get more frequent. When I had almost the same amount of people as in Sunset Valley, freezes were happening every 5-10 sim minutes and were going on for about 10-30 sec real time, which made it completely unplayable. So I decided to check what they were doing and found many sims going across the hood on foot. Since at night freezes stop(sims sleeping) I concluded that that was the issue.
I really like this hood and I already spend a lot of time on it placing houses so it would be a shame not to be able to use it now.
I have other populated custom hoods as well but no freezes there.
The_Goddess
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2010 March 13, 17:42:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you still have a usable community lot on the island?  It might be a good idea to double check to make sure all island lots are bulldozed and just to be on the safe side, change the community lots there to residential.  If you have Sims wanting to get over there it might be a problem.  Perhaps I should give some thought to revamping some of Fargo's issues and re-uploading it.  It should have a bridge to the Island and it needs more sidewalks.  I have gone through the routing map with a fine tooth comb, and can find no places where a sim cannot route to something, other than the island.  I was very careful about that as it annoyed me to no end in China to see stones my Sim could not reach.  As annoying as it was, I loved the Island in France, but if the Island is what is causing these woos It needs a bridge.  

If I rework it; it will mean your Sims will lose all social interactions with non-household Sims when they move to the new town.

Edit/add...  Also, after uploading the last time; I put the shuttle bay and airport back in for my game.  I won't take it out again if I re-upload, but I will put more lots else ware to compensate.
« Last Edit: 2010 March 13, 17:50:48 by The_Goddess » Logged
blackcat
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2010 March 13, 19:35:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Changed all lots on island to residential and looks like it helped. Gonna do more testing to be sure. Thank you for help!

Yep, definitely works now. I also removed some of the community lots I added just to b sure and it runs smoothly now. Thank you.
« Last Edit: 2010 March 14, 12:54:12 by blackcat » Logged
Dutchysim
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2010 March 14, 08:31:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is still my favorite world.
I would love to see a road to the little Island.
Because of the lag, I don't use it now  Cry
SlickCee
Asinine Airhead

~Rainbows, butterflies, & happiness~

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2010 March 20, 14:01:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is something wrong with the download link, it says that the file is unavailable.
dDefinder
Blathering Buffoon

An Acronym

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: 2010 March 23, 01:13:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The download works but the game crashes when it loads up the world.

No matter what variables there are, it all adds up to total and all-encompassing tedium.
The_Goddess
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2010 March 23, 01:39:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll look into it, but you might want to wait a few weeks anyway.  I'm revising it to make the small tropical island off the coast playable.
brownlustgirl
Knuckleheaded Knob

Giving EA the finger!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2010 March 24, 04:37:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That will be nice, cause I would love to set up that area with some nice beach homes. Will wait and see.

"So you have to be hungry to eat, right? Hmph, imagine that concept."  Kirstie Alley
GlamGirl
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2010 March 25, 13:52:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just wanted to let you know that I downloaded this world a few weeks back and am enjoying it immensely.  Great job and thank you!  Kiss
Noenmity
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2010 March 30, 05:26:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I too have been playing this world for a few days and am really liking it. Actually more than any new world so far. I'm checking this thread to see if perhaps you had any plans to revise this world in any way and apparently you do. I found some small flaws and possible pathing issues. If your interested, i'll make a check list and post it here and you can check it if you want. Thanks for your world and your time.
The_Goddess
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2010 March 30, 18:36:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I too have been playing this world for a few days and am really liking it. Actually more than any new world so far. I'm checking this thread to see if perhaps you had any plans to revise this world in any way and apparently you do. I found some small flaws and possible pathing issues. If your interested, i'll make a check list and post it here and you can check it if you want. Thanks for your world and your time.

Yes, I just returned from honeymoon, I'll be working on the world now.  Input is welcome.
Noenmity
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2010 April 02, 16:57:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt your honeymoon lol! Congratulations and best wishes on getting married!

Now on to business. I've downloaded about 30 new worlds in the past week or so but I keep going back to Fargo. I like it but there are issues. For instance many of the new houses I put in the world sink into the lots. And when I delete some of those, the lots are left with jagged impressions. There are also many tears in the land and sidewalks and streets sinking into the ground as well. There was even a manhole floating in midair near where the corralled lots are.

Also, on the highest plateau there is a large lot and a small lot and thought to mention the small lot has the best view in game and thought to suggest making the small one a larger one, but not sure the difficulty or possibility involved in doing that.

Anyway, its a great world and most worth improving in my estimation of it. And i'm not the only one who thinks so. If you read the posts all over the create a world section of the sims 3 forum, people keep mentioning how they really like this world and also keep going back to it. That about sums it up for now.
The_Goddess
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2010 April 02, 18:09:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, the lot by the waterfall does that ; as do the others that dip slightly into the ocean.  This is caused by placing a flat lot on a lot that has its own custom edges.   It is on the list of fixes.  The only way to prevent the sinking is to build your own home there or set a lot down that was built there. 
I saw only one road problem, on the corner of the road that the red school is on.  Where else have you seen this? 
The man hole I have not seen, but am now hunting for it; LOL.
Thank you for the input.
Noenmity
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2010 April 05, 12:17:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Goddess, not sure if you found the floating manhole yet, but I found it again and its not near the gated lots. but rather near the high school in the farming zone.
The_Goddess
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2010 April 05, 17:55:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Goddess, not sure if you found the floating manhole yet, but I found it again and its not near the gated lots. but rather near the high school in the farming zone.

Yes I have and it has been properly reacquainted with gravity.   I had to scratch my head over that one, as you had said "near where the corralled lots are."  I had come to the conclusion that you fancy ranches and had been using the country side to put creepy cow cut-out corrals in.  

*shudders*  Those creepy cow cut-outs always remind me of the movie ‘Motel Hell'. 
« Last Edit: 2010 April 05, 19:04:26 by The_Goddess » Logged
The_Goddess
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
Re: Fargo Updated
« Reply #71 on: 2010 August 04, 21:01:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have updated Fargo to include new career lots from Ambitions.  There is now a Junkyard/Consignment Shop, Laundromat, Styling Salon, Hangout/Tattoo Parlor and a Firehouse.  I have added a thin land bridge to provide access to the Island.  I have fixed a few floating objects and roads that grew grass from certain angles.  Because Ambitions gave us the ability to add and remove world objects, I added the Space Shuttle back to Fargo.  My Astronaut sim is quite pleased, but if you prefer not to have it, you are welcome to delete it.  I added 2 new neighborhoods to make up for the military housing that I removed.  I've also added a couple of cute parks.  There are now 109 residential lots and 40 community lots.

I'd like to offer special thanks and recognition to all the builders that created the lovely houses in my neighborhood, but I don't know who many of them are.  MATY's own Tangie created one of them; see if you can find it.  Plasticbox created many of the small houses I put in town.  Hatshepsut created many of my suburban houses.  In all cases, if there was something written in the details box, I left it there so there might be a signature of the artists on some of the houses.  If you know the names of any of the other creators, feel free to list their names and give them credit here.  I did not build any of the residential homes but I did alter many of them in tiny ways, either to touch up terrain paint or replace custom content with game objects.

If you are already playing the old Fargo, don't forget to package up your families; you will have to uninstall the old in order to install the new.

Here is where you can get your hands on it…
http://www.mediafire.com/fargo
SickLaxBro
Asinine Airhead

Bleh

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2010 August 04, 22:43:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Love it, but there are a few issues.

Some of the rabbit holes don't seem to show up for me:

- The School
- The Spa
- The Military Base

EDIT: The school and the spa show up in the little lot icon, but don't show up on the actual lot.

Before you ask, I have all EP's/SP's and Riverview. I replaced them myself in 'Edit Town', so it's not too big a problem.

Now, what I like:

- Varied. Has a nice urban area, mountain area, and farm area, and they all fit in real nice.
- Detailed. It's clear a lot of effort has been put in into creating this.
- The hidden dragon cave. Blends into the mountain real nice and naturally.
- Big. Lots of places to build on, but has a decent amount of pre-made lots as well.

What I don't like:

- Cherry trees. A few spread out look nice, but I feel like there's too many in a small area in the downtown area.
- Mountains on the small island. The peaks on them are too jagged and they seem unnatural.

Overall, I really like this world. The cons are just minor things that slightly annoy me. Typically, with custom worlds, they feel awkward to me. This one is the exception. I really enjoy it, and look forward to playing with it.
The_Goddess
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2010 August 05, 00:56:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Most of the cherry trees are on lots that can easily be deleted without hurting my feelings in the least.  I used them on all the lots for a bit of continuity.  Choose what you love and feel free to replace them.
dolldrms
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2010 August 05, 04:36:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had heard good things about this world but had not yet tried it.  I decided to download your updated version.  You may want to add in your first post that Fargo downloads with 44 custom content items from TSR.  There were windows, doors, a baby pram, patterns, garden bags, mirror...well you get the drift I'm sure.  This custom content cannot be deleted without also deleting the world.  One can try to delete the cc from the launcher but end up with an error saying it can't be done because of dependents.  I opted to delete everything since there was so much I had absolutely no interest in having in game.  It would have been nice to know in advance that the world contained cc and what it was.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: