More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 09:26:04

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  Pudding Factory
| | |-+  Fern Lake, my first attempt at CAW goodness.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Fern Lake, my first attempt at CAW goodness.  (Read 15017 times)
Turd Ferguson
Blathering Buffoon

Solving mysteries in a van

View Profile
Fern Lake, my first attempt at CAW goodness.
« on: 2010 January 22, 02:25:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It took a while to get my head around the controls, but most of my first custom neighborhood (outside of my Sims 2 creations) is finally taking shape. I thought I would share the WIP with you folks.

EDIT:
I've decided that since so many folks would like to mess around with this town, I'd upload the .world file. Rather than leave it as is and get all manner of complaints that so and so lot has bad placement or whatever. Well honestly I'm just tired of working on it and I'm lazy I want to give everyone the chance to tweak it a bit and learn how to use CAW yourselves you lazy peons.

http://www.mediafire.com/?fzzt2qytzln
« Last Edit: 2010 January 25, 05:42:22 by Turd Ferguson » Logged

"There's a deep-seated paranoia that Americans have about not being Americans or something." - Billy Joel

"The problem with this country is that old fucks vote. We got shit to do, old folks don't, the only thing they have to do is judge you and vote." - Doug Stanhope
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Fern Lake, my first attempt at CAW goodness.
« Reply #1 on: 2010 January 22, 02:35:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Seems a bit puny and short on lots. Embiggen moar?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Turd Ferguson
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 January 22, 02:50:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They're a lot bigger than they look, and I'm trying to keep the feeling of this being a small close knit close quarters town.

But on the subject of embiggening, is there any way while in the creator to expand the map without completely messing up the dimensions of everything I've laid down?

And has anyone figured out how to switch the vast sea with fake land? They did it in Sunset Valley.

"There's a deep-seated paranoia that Americans have about not being Americans or something." - Billy Joel

"The problem with this country is that old fucks vote. We got shit to do, old folks don't, the only thing they have to do is judge you and vote." - Doug Stanhope
CharmingFirewaller
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 January 22, 02:56:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love the map and bigger isn't always better so I'm glad you're giving it a small town feel. The huge lots in Sunset Valley actually drive me nuts cause I have trouble filling them up. I'm like, "Okay, I built a house...now what?"

I really like the town center. I don't have the latest patch so I can't get custom worlds to install but if I did I'd love to have Fern Lake in my game. Smiley
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 January 22, 03:02:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They're a lot bigger than they look, and I'm trying to keep the feeling of this being a small close knit close quarters town.
I'm not talking about the physical size of the lots themselves. I actually prefer the smaller lots. I was talking more about their QUANTITY. Remember: Unlike TS2, in which you could subject your neighborhood to Terrain Surgery any time and add more lots at will, in TS3, everything you put down is FOREVER. If you don't plan accordingly, and honestly, it looks like your neighborhood is about the same size as the existing ones, you will run out of space REALLY fast. Forever.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
chann
Corpulent Cretin

TS3: an "eye-opening tour de farce" (sic)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2010 January 22, 03:47:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And has anyone figured out how to switch the vast sea with fake land? They did it in Sunset Valley.

That's a special Environment object called Distant Terrain, basically an enormous mesh placed around the edges of the world. However, it only works on the largest map size. There's some more details about using it in the CAW walkthrough.

The endless water thing sucks. What I did was scrap my medium land-based world and start over from scratch on the largest size, obscuring the horizon around the edges with terrain and restricting the camera with non-routable paint. This still requires testing from a LOT of angles to look natural.
Viscountess
kiki
Assgrabber
Stupid Schlemiel

ENTP - RULER

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 January 22, 06:40:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Seems a bit puny and short on lots. Embiggen moar?

I love the word embiggen. It's so cromulent.

"I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they'll feel all day." - Dean Martin
<Pescado>   Because hey, sometimes you have fun, and sometimes fun has you.
DigiGekko
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010 January 22, 07:22:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At least you're TRYING to make a mainland neighborhood. I take a peek at the exchange's neighborhoods sometimes (just for a laugh, never to download) and 98% of the crap there are islands. Nothing against Coconut Island though, it's actually a nicely built hood.

You have two options to make land that appears to go off into the distance. Use the largest map size available, surround it by hills, and make your town in the middle. Have one road go off behind a hill and be non-routable for the camera for realism. Or, just use the distant terrain over and over. They're a little bitchy to place, though.
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 January 22, 16:08:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Where is the download? I'd like to try it out.

As for the number of lots, what's a good number? I heard EA says better less than 100. But I'd really like to have like 170. Would that make the game unplayable?

Sims 3 Blog: Twinbrook Redux
Turd Ferguson
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010 January 22, 19:32:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Its still a WIP. Should I ever finish it I'll let you folks know. But I still have a few bugs to work out. Moving a few lots, placing decorations and stuff.

missaaliyah
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010 January 23, 00:23:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's great so far, I understand what he means when he says he wants more lots, maybe some lakeside cabins and small cabin areas in the mountains would be cool.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010 January 23, 01:32:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm a fan of smaller neighborhoods, and I like this layout very much-- the only thing I would personally add is more trees in the hills, and maybe some farm decorations for the rural look of a small town surrounded by forest.

eforrest
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010 January 24, 17:14:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it's lovely.  Again, I love smaller neighborhoods.  Do you plan to landscape the other side of the map?  I notice the hills/mountains look a little jagged.
LauraW
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010 January 25, 04:56:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really like it!  The distance objects might work fine with some hoods but you have to rework the edges to suit the object so it won't work with everything. I tried Egypt with my desert and it looked worse than just using the camera routing. I have to admit, I am not fond of islands either..unless I really want to play an island.
Ishtari
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010 January 26, 06:59:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Could you upload the Fern Lake Lots/Layers files?
Fern lake can't load without them. Smiley
kittyuk
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010 January 31, 11:41:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love worlds with lots of lots. big and small, 100 residential at least, it gives you the option of using them or not! Looking forward to your world download.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: