More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 07:35:58

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Fixing the Launcher
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Fixing the Launcher  (Read 4383 times)
Trystiane
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Fixing the Launcher
« on: 2010 January 16, 07:02:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just stumbled onto how to fix the launcher.  The downside is you have to have an EA account for it to work. 

Short version:  You need to login to the EA Store site FROM INSIDE your game.  EA will put a .bin file with your login in your downloads folder, and your launcher will work almost just like it used to.  It still won't install EA stuff you didn't personally buy, but it will install other people's custom objects, CAS stuff, lots, sims, and I guess worlds (although I haven't tried the last yet).

Long version:  Like everybody else, I haven't been able to use the launcher for anything since the patch.  But then today I was having trouble with Riverview giving me file paths as names for sims and lots, so out of frustration I decided to try to download Riverview from within the game while it was running using the stupid "shop" button EA gave us.  I clicked on "download again" on the Riverview page, and it downloaded, but then the file just sat there, all grayed out in the launcher.  So I went to "My downloads dashboard" or whatever "shop-o-liscious" name EA gave the link, there was a list of all the stuff that I had downloaded from the EA Store with my free points.  So I clicked on Riverview in that list, and the launcher started up, asked for my EA login, and installed Riverview into my game.

After that my launcher worked again.

Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks.
--Marx
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Fixing the Launcher
« Reply #1 on: 2010 January 16, 07:25:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This information is not very useful, since it involves ALLOWING YOUR GAME TO PHONE HOME WITH ITS SPYWARE.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Trystiane
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 January 16, 18:38:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's true, but its a way faster way to install sims3packs than unpacking them, running them through the blue lot fixer and procmon, and merging them in s3pe before putting them in your game.  And it allows for finding and deleting individual objects without having to search through the package files and hope that the filename matches the in-game name. 

Once you get the launcher working again you can always unplug from the internet while using the launcher or playing the game.  In the meantime I think working for better national and international internet privacy regulations and against the corporatization and copywriting of the universe is the only way to make a dent in the future EA would like us to have.  Don't get me wrong, MATY and the booty and related entities have a central place in the struggle, but it has to grow from here.

Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks.
--Marx
kodawaruonna
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 January 16, 19:59:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or you could do this: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,17743.0.html

I tried your fix and it slowed everything down even though I was offline. 
Trystiane
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 January 16, 21:53:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe taking the new .bin file out of the downloads folder would speed your game up again.  You still have to keep aaa'rghed EA stuff in the Mods folder and not the DCCache folder.

--Marx
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 January 17, 05:48:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just switched my current .exe with one from the cd for long enough to use the launcher to install the store items that I've run through the compressor, and then just switched it back to the patched.exe to play. The dcb files worked fine in Mods with no lag, although you can change your .cfg to read them in the DCCache file so that you don't have to move them.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: