More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 07:47:08

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Different problems I had with using both Mac and Windows for WA
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Different problems I had with using both Mac and Windows for WA  (Read 5414 times)
nythawk
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Different problems I had with using both Mac and Windows for WA
« on: 2009 December 19, 02:30:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

First off, AM doesn't work for Mac users. Yes, I followed the directions about the framework, but some things do not apply for us Mac users. C:/Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 and C:/Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/World Adventures do not exist for us. For us we need to install within the application itself. So I tried this:
1. right click on WA alias> show original
2. right click on WA icon> show contents
3. go to Contents>Resources>transgaming>c_drive>Program Files>Electronic Arts
4. manually installed framework just as you would for base game, but in the WA app.

This did not work. So, I figured I'd boot up BootCamp and try to play in Windows for awhile. Oh, the headaches I came across in windows. First off, Riverview and a lot of other things would not install in Windows even though they installed fine on the Mac side. I did get Riverview to install finally in XP, here's how. I deleted it through the Launcher and installed it through that new Sim Store button in WA itself. It then recognized it. I have to do this for everything that didn't install I suppose because I deleted the Prius and did the same thing and whala! there they were installed in the game. I'm only going to use the Windows side for CAW since EA screwed this up so much. I'll just have to live without AM when I actually sim. I don't want to, but since it apparently won't work for us "outsiders" I'll deal with it.

I just figured you all may want to know a way to fix the Riverside problems on Windows.
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
Re: Different problems I had with using both Mac and Windows for WA
« Reply #1 on: 2009 December 19, 03:12:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you read the applicable threads (I know, it's a lot of reading) there are, in fact, MAC users who have the game up and running, with AwesomeMod and their custom content.

Not sure what version of the game you're using (and if you're not patched and updated to at least 1.7.9/1.7.11/2.2.8, AwesomeMod will not be compatible on either MAC or PC), but there is a thread on the problems with the latest patch under "The Horror, The Horror".

In the (should be) immortal words of Ron White:  "You can't fix stupid!"
nythawk
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 December 19, 12:35:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you read the applicable threads (I know, it's a lot of reading) there are, in fact, MAC users who have the game up and running, with AwesomeMod and their custom content.

Not sure what version of the game you're using (and if you're not patched and updated to at least 1.7.9/1.7.11/2.2.8, AwesomeMod will not be compatible on either MAC or PC), but there is a thread on the problems with the latest patch under "The Horror, The Horror".

I'd love to read the applicable threads... if I could find them. I've used different search words within "The Horror, The Horror" with no luck. I don't have the time to go through 14 pages of posts with 100 posts on each page to find something that is applicable. The search function should be my godsend and it isn't in this case. But as I've stated, I'll just have to live without AM. I'm no computer virgin and I use google a lot to find answers so if I can't figure it out or if I can't find the answer on a forum or google then I'm not going to waste my time no matter how good of a product it is.
LVRugger
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 December 22, 00:20:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

nythawk -

Do NOT search just in "The Horror, The Horror!" - click "advanced search and search on Mac Installer - Marhis has a great utility that installs in the base game for you. Following that lead you can also install into WA.
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 December 24, 21:45:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The search function should be my godsend and it isn't in this case. But as I've stated, I'll just have to live without AM. I'm no computer virgin and I use google a lot to find answers so if I can't figure it out or if I can't find the answer on a forum or google then I'm not going to waste my time no matter how good of a product it is.

That's because you aren't searching correctly. AM works on Macs. Searching with the word "mac" will bring up all sorts of helpful information, including this step by step thread.

I sing along with elevator music.
nythawk
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 January 08, 13:05:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I finally stumbled upon a thread here that actually showed where to put the files and which ones. AM now works! I had thought that it would be the same setup as the base, but that wasn't the case. Now the only problem I have is that all my store bought items will not load. And there apparently isn't a way to go to the store ingame on the Mac side so there is no way for me to fix this. Ah well. I'll deal.
dedust
Asinine Airhead

LÖR LÖR

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 January 09, 23:26:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Adding a line to the resource file and copying the .dbc files to Packages folder does the trick on Macs as well, there's a topic somewhere about that.

You will be baked, and then there will be cake.
captaincaliena
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010 January 10, 06:43:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I finally stumbled upon a thread here that actually showed where to put the files and which ones. AM now works! I had thought that it would be the same setup as the base, but that wasn't the case. Now the only problem I have is that all my store bought items will not load. And there apparently isn't a way to go to the store ingame on the Mac side so there is no way for me to fix this. Ah well. I'll deal.

It's the exact same fix you'd use on the Windows side of the game.  The only difference is that the files directories are different.  I have a Mac and, after much fiddling around, I got all my shared store CC working.  All you have to do is read through the 1.8/2.3 release thread in "The Horror, The Horror."  That thread will tell you what to do.
nythawk
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 January 10, 11:24:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's the exact same fix you'd use on the Windows side of the game.  The only difference is that the files directories are different.  I have a Mac and, after much fiddling around, I got all my shared store CC working.  All you have to do is read through the 1.8/2.3 release thread in "The Horror, The Horror."  That thread will tell you what to do.

I'm not sure what you are referring to, but I was talking about things I bought from the Sims 3 store. I found a workaround on the Windows side to get these things to work, but it requires going to the store via the game and there is no way to do that on the Mac side. The buttons just do not exist. I've written EA about it, but there has been no response.
dedust
Asinine Airhead

LÖR LÖR

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010 January 10, 19:48:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=382520

We are most likely referring to this.
Both store items and custom packages work.

You will be baked, and then there will be cake.
captaincaliena
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010 January 10, 20:03:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not sure what you are referring to, but I was talking about things I bought from the Sims 3 store. I found a workaround on the Windows side to get these things to work, but it requires going to the store via the game and there is no way to do that on the Mac side. The buttons just do not exist. I've written EA about it, but there has been no response.

Ah, my mistake.  I thought you were saying that our method that is being discussed does not work for Mac.  After I reread your post I see that you mentioned going to the store in-game.  I missed that the first time.   Roll Eyes  Our method does work though, and you should be able to get all of your CC to work with it.
nythawk
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010 January 16, 01:14:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, my mistake.  I thought you were saying that our method that is being discussed does not work for Mac.  After I reread your post I see that you mentioned going to the store in-game.  I missed that the first time.   Roll Eyes  Our method does work though, and you should be able to get all of your CC to work with it.
I'm testing this now on the Windows side of my comp. I had to uninstall CAW because it just wouldn't run for some reason so I'm hoping reinstalling it will help. If this works I'll try on the Mac side. Thanks. I just have to find an alternate sims3pack installer for Mac.
blackgryffin
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010 January 16, 09:53:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I successed to install Custom Content on 3 different Mac with EA launcher on 1.8/2.3. I explained how there :

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,17743.0.html

Maybe it will help you.

zen ...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: