More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 10:46:06

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  Run, sim, run
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Run, sim, run  (Read 45787 times)
redShoes
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Run, sim, run
« on: 2010 January 11, 09:32:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have posted about this before, but as I have still got the problem, and it's totally ruining the game, I thought I would post it again.

I'm running the base game only (as there is no way on God's green Earth I'm giving EA another penny for this rubbish), patched up and with the latest AM (I re-download before each play). I have some store CC, but no other mods at all.

With AM story progression enabled, there is a 'thing' (?) called one-shot commander that sends my Sims off to build skills while I'm playing another household. As soon as this appears in their action queue, they are hit with this running everywhere syndrome.

Example: I'm playing A.Nother household. Across the street, Harry is sleeping in his bed. A story action notification appears telling me Harry is going to skill logic. So I switch to Harry's house, and Harry's asleep. The one-shot commander is queued up. I cancel it, wait for Harry to wake up... When he does, he makes his side of the bed, runs round to make the other side, runs two tiles to reach the dresser, and etc etc. Harry will never walk again, unless I evict him and move him back in, which isn't really a fix as the same thing will just happen again as soon as this fucking commander launches.

It isn't just Harry though - it's every single sim that is left to it's own devices for a bit. As soon as it triggers, they become victims.

I've tried so many different things; new neighbourhoods, clean installs, no CC, poisonous gasses, default config. The same thing happens over and over, be it with the premades, or my own sims.

Just for the record, this didn't used to happen. It started after the 1.8 patch. And yes, I have tried running it without AM installed... I have no running sims then. Just alot of other crap, instead.  Roll Eyes

So what is going on here? I seem to be the only person who has reported this, which I wouldn't mind, if only I could find a way to fix it/ get rid of this evil commander.

Help?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Run, sim, run
« Reply #1 on: 2010 January 11, 09:57:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Although we are unclear why it is a bad thing, given that GETTING THERE FASTER can, in my view, NEVER be a bad thing, you could try getting the latest version and using "resetwalk".

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
redShoes
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 January 11, 13:23:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Although we are unclear why it is a bad thing, given that GETTING THERE FASTER can, in my view, NEVER be a bad thing, you could try getting the latest version and using "resetwalk".

It is a bad thing because it looks fucking stupid, Pescado! Would you run round a bed?

But anyway, I have tried that - it doesn't appear to be having any effect. One sim stopped running using that command... then she went off to build her charisma skill! Argh! I have also tried resetsim, no luck there either.

I'm now going to try banging my head on the bloody desk.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 January 11, 13:31:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is a bad thing because it looks fucking stupid, Pescado! Would you run round a bed?
Hell no. The wife would laugh at me if I did that. I'd go over it. Are you using the latest version?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
redShoes
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 January 11, 13:36:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hell no. The wife would laugh at me if I did that. I'd go over it. Are you using the latest version?

Exactly Wink

And yes, I'm using the latest version. I'm always using the latest version.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 January 11, 15:39:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, if it WASN'T possible to simply leap over it, then yes, the only remaining option would be to run around. Other than that, we are looking into this issue, but it can't be reliably reproduced in the time I have to look for it. And because I'm used to having to order them to navigate manually anyway.

redShoes
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 January 11, 15:54:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, if it WASN'T possible to simply leap over it, then yes, the only remaining option would be to run around. Other than that, we are looking into this issue, but it can't be reliably reproduced in the time I have to look for it. And because I'm used to having to order them to navigate manually anyway.

If only I could say the same thing!

Thanks anyway, in advance Wink
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2010 January 12, 04:11:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So are you saying supreme commander breaks their movement type and they only run?

I have a suspicion that this is why my sims never just walk anywhere. I thought the game was idiotic by default...I should try that resetwalk thing.

All this time I figured it was dumb EA programming saying "RUN IF SOMETHING IS MORE THAN 2 INCHES AWAY UNLESS YOU ARE CARRYING SOMETHING"
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 January 12, 04:37:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dumb EA programming? Hell no. That's smart AWESOME programming. EA programming is "limp at snail-like pace to object 300 feet away, taking 3 hours to reach a destination that could have been reached in 3 minutes". Any rocket scientist can tell you that in any situation where fuel is not a constraint, the minimum-time brachistochrone trajectory is to accelerate at the target at maximum power until the halfway mark, then turn and decelerate for the remainder. Since sims do not consume fuel in order to move, this is pretty much the only trajectory profile that makes any sense, as the only resource in the game is time.

Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2010 January 12, 04:53:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like the game to be...a game. I prefer the challenge of "UGH RUN YOU ARE WASTING TIME" and having to make upf or it. It's easy enough for the poorest of sims to live a constantly-in-best-mood-ever life as it is, with the weakest and most useless of furniture, and a simple change like walking instead of running makes that much more difficult. Running everywhere? Convenient...but it makes things too easy.
SonnetCeles
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010 January 12, 11:08:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wait... so you are implying that the vacations to never never lands are absolutely efficient in terms of traveling?  If so, my god this game was made for you because I cannot stand the fact we have to run from point a to point b when there are perfectly fine dirt roads for bikes or mopeds to travel on.  If you think it is stupid for them to walk then this new expansion was made for you.
« Last Edit: 2010 January 12, 14:36:50 by SonnetCeles » Logged
redShoes
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010 January 14, 10:54:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, well.... they seem to have stopped running everywhere?!

I'm now gonna grab the latest AM, and keep my fingers crossed it doesn't get broked again.

Happy bunny at the minute though, oh yes I am.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2010 January 15, 06:07:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wait... so you are implying that the vacations to never never lands are absolutely efficient in terms of traveling?  If so, my god this game was made for you because I cannot stand the fact we have to run from point a to point b when there are perfectly fine dirt roads for bikes or mopeds to travel on.  If you think it is stupid for them to walk then this new expansion was made for you.

SPOILERS: Being at home and being 500 miles from your non-road-to destination are two entirely different situations. Amazingly enough, disliking that they run around the house DOES NOT imply i dislike that they run when appropriate!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010 January 15, 06:12:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why would you NOT run around the house? How else do you expect to get anywhere?

inkysparrow
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010 January 17, 03:32:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had this problem before. It was fixed when I deleted the old NRaas computer I had and installed the new one that Twallan made. I haven't had the problem since.
Menaceman
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010 January 17, 21:40:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Today I finally decided to activate and use AwesomeStory. My Sims have now started running everywhere! I updated AM about 5 hours prior to posting this very message. At first it was just the one Sim who my playable sim had a lot of contact with. Then I noticed all of her household running and now most of the neighbourhood choose to move that way.
I used NRaas computer once a few months ago and then removed it. I've reinstalled the game since then anyway. Anything I can try to stop it?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010 January 18, 00:55:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can't reproduce this. Since the last fix, there has rather been a shortage of this and everything moves too slowly.

sheep_plushi
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010 January 18, 12:37:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sims don't run around the house but that sounds rather awesome. I hate them leisurely walking to the toilet when waking up in the morning. Personally, I haul ass. Lazy sims.

I park on your car.
egon_weber
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010 June 29, 21:57:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sim have started running, instead of walking. I hate it, why cant he wlak normal around his household?? Undecided

TheCatMeow
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010 June 30, 01:02:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really don't think this is an AM bug. People who have no mods installed say they have the running bug too. I figured sims started doing it if they were required to run. I.e., on the treadmill, jobs that have running, playing tag. Some people even said their sims started running after exiting the time machine.
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010 June 30, 01:25:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, definitely not an Awesomemod issue.  I had the same issue on vanilla Ambitions.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
redwards
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010 June 30, 02:31:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My only complaint about running is that sims can't run down the stairs, too. We really need a banister-sliding animation.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010 June 30, 06:25:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My only complaint about running is that sims can't run down the stairs, too. We really need a banister-sliding animation.
Stairs have become much more of a bottleneck compared to TS2, since in TS2, they COULD run up and down stairs.

YoungOldPrude
Corpulent Cretin

Cat-aholic

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010 June 30, 07:49:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Stairs have become much more of a bottleneck compared to TS2, since in TS2, they COULD run up and down stairs.
But didn't they steal pretty much all of the animations from TS2? Why did they have to leave that out?

"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life—music and cats." ~Albert Schweitzer

"Happy people can be so cruel."
~ Claudia of Silent Hill 3.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2010 June 30, 08:26:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To be annoying and bland, like everything else, duh.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: