More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 20:12:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  What're the odds? 8 births, 8 male infants
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: What're the odds? 8 births, 8 male infants  (Read 8924 times)
sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
What're the odds? 8 births, 8 male infants
« on: 2010 January 07, 22:29:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I started a new Riverview neighborhood about a week ago... have seeded the neighborhod with several families, but mostly have just played 2.  One family was two sisters. They each spawned two boys - all with different fathers. Odd, but okay. Then one of their sons married a girl I made just for the occasion...and she had two boys. So that's six males spawned, no females, all on same lot. So then I had one of the other sons marry another sim I created  and moved off the lot. They had...wait for it...a son.

So decided to try a whole new scenario - made a married couple in CAS, moved them to a new lot, built 'em a house and let 'em get pregnant - and she just had a son.

And in checking around the neighborhood in the edit town mode, I've realized that there've been no female babies born, not even to townies. The only females in the game are the ones I've created in CAS. There have been only male children born to townie families and CAS created families that I've placed but don't actively play.

Just what's going on in this instance of Riverview? And has anyone else encountered this.

Georgette
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: What're the odds? 8 births, 8 male infants
« Reply #1 on: 2010 January 07, 22:43:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe there's a severe watermelon shortage.

sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 January 07, 22:48:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, for at least two of the pregnancies, I let the mothers to be eat nothing but watermelon - including 'raw' whole fruit watermelon as well as meals cooked with watermelon so that just adds to the strangeness of it.

Georgette
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 January 07, 22:50:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Must be sheer bad luck then, I guess. On the sims 2 I once had a couple whom I planned would have a daughter. 11 male pregnancies later, I got the girl I wanted; it's annoying!

sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 January 07, 22:56:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

11? I'd have killed 'em off long before that...in fact, I kinda miss being able to kill sims so easily... some of them just vex me to no end.

Georgette
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 January 07, 22:58:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, I killed 8 of the sons, yeah, but I really wanted that girl because the parents were so good looking. And Sims 3 is seriously lacking in terms of deaths. I mean, 5 types? In the sims 2 (with all expansion packs and the run with scissors kit) you could kill them off 19 different ways!

Jackathyn
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 January 08, 04:09:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a similar scenario happen, only with a ridiculous volume of girls. I think I ended up with twelve before it stopped. Even the pair of random triplets in there. (!!!)
I'd put it down to ghastly luck. I agree, it's a pain in the ass. Does reloading have no effect in TS3 on generated traits/gender, or has that just been my experience? I've tried the old TS2 trick of reload-reload-reload, but it just plum doesn't seem to work in TS3.
sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010 January 08, 07:04:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried it with the latest birth, no luck - still a boy, so I think that the threads on the other section of this board (the strategy part) are right - determined at conception unless changed if a 'doctor' tells you the sex...too bad I don't have a doctor in this version of Riverview as of yet.

And my latest victim, er, knocked up sim, got that way on vacay in China with her hubby, so we'll see if I'm going for male baby #9 next time I play...

Angrboda
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 January 08, 17:58:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't kill Sims.  If I get a baby I don't like I simply control+click and delete the baby.  Sure the mother walks around for awhile thinking there is a baby there, but it is fleeting.  Then just try for another baby. 

Are you making your females all really muscular, or perhaps ugly?  Do they have masculine traits such as angler, handy and criminal or super athletic?  I am just wondering if traits may be a contributing factor in sex determination.    Have you tried making a female that is absent minded, hopeless romantic, natural cook, friendly and family oriented?  I wonder what sex her babies would be? Wink  Oh wait...didn't you say you went to China?  If you got Preggo in China, don't hold your breath for a girl.

This is not poison. Go ahead, drink up.
sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010 January 08, 21:53:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

yup, nine for nine...all boys.

The current female sim I'm playing is natural cook, green thumb, hopeless romantic, neat, and oh I can't remember the 5th one - probably either flirty, friendly or charismatic...as I tend to use those a lot in created sims.

I'm running out of good boy names (and don't bother suggesting any, because by 'good' I mean 'slightly different' - last two were named Anker and Delman so guess I'm on a Scandinavian kick this week).

ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

Just another shitty day in paradise

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010 January 09, 00:39:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, for at least two of the pregnancies, I let the mothers to be eat nothing but watermelon - including 'raw' whole fruit watermelon as well as meals cooked with watermelon so that just adds to the strangeness of it.

One of the patches took out the gender affect from cooked foods, so if you counted something like watermelon pancakes as one of your three pieces of fruit needed to get a girl, it had no effect.

I usually make sure my PG sims eat at least 4 pieces of fresh (not cooked) fruit appropriate for the sex of the baby I'm after.  And if I want a girl, and I'm having the sim eat watermelons to get one, if they eat an apple in there somewhere it can mess up the "count", so I might have to make them eat another piece of watermelon just to be sure. 

I had one sim that I wanted to be sure had a boy, and had made sure to have her eat 3 apples, but she had a girl.  I always save after they get the bump, so I went back to that save and made her eat 4 apples before she delivered, and then she had the boy I wanted her to have.

I've never had the "baby sex determined by fruit" not work if they eat 4 of the sex-determining fruit.  I rely on it, as I'm maintaining my town size by having each household I play have only two children - one of each sex.  I just recently had a case of surprise twin girls, and I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the extra kid.  I'm sure something will happen to help me decide what to do before I have to worry about setting up another household.

Werewolf?<br />There! There wolf!  There castle!
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010 January 09, 04:57:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just recently had a case of surprise twin girls, and I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the extra kid.  I'm sure something will happen to help me decide what to do before I have to worry about setting up another household.
And this is why we need the smite option. That family defied the rules for their existence. They need to be punished, before the defiance spreads.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010 January 09, 05:19:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't kill Sims.  If I get a baby I don't like I simply control+click and delete the baby.  Sure the mother walks around for awhile thinking there is a baby there, but it is fleeting.  Then just try for another baby.
That does not work, the babies are still there. To properly delete an undesired sim, you have to use AwesomeMod to split it from the fambly and then delete it. Otherwise it is still around, gumming up your files.

Are you making your females all really muscular, or perhaps ugly?  Do they have masculine traits such as angler, handy and criminal or super athletic?  I am just wondering if traits may be a contributing factor in sex determination.
They are not.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010 January 09, 07:09:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

May all be moot anyway, as I apparently have a dying computer and hubby wants to do the dreaded 'scrape and reload' this weekend, but with a twist - Windows 7 and that likely means I'll need a newer version of quickbooks. eww. eww. eww.

Anyway, I could save the neighborhood files, but why bother when this one is just bound and determined to be all male...funny, but I have a friend who would prefer it that way - he's not happy with sims3, still playing sims2 - more kink available via mods.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010 January 09, 07:23:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I started a new Riverview neighborhood about a week ago... have seeded the neighborhod with several families, but mostly have just played 2.  One family was two sisters. They each spawned two boys - all with different fathers. Odd, but okay. Then one of their sons married a girl I made just for the occasion...and she had two boys. So that's six males spawned, no females, all on same lot. So then I had one of the other sons marry another sim I created  and moved off the lot. They had...wait for it...a son.
Yeah, that happens in real life, too. It's quite common, about 0.7%. Given how many births will happen in the entire simiverse, this is pretty much going to happen constantly. While it's easily to believe something that happens with 0.7% odds is very uncommon, remember, the world is a very big place, and as even the most immature encrustling knows, there must always be one Spathi that picks the short Ta Puun stick. Other factors in the game that promote bias towards male spawn may include the ready availability of apples compared to watermelons. It is far easier for a sim to accidentally eat an apple than a watermelon, and they tend to do so autonomously the moment your back is turned. In fact, it is deliberately designed to do so.

I'd put it down to ghastly luck. I agree, it's a pain in the ass. Does reloading have no effect in TS3 on generated traits/gender, or has that just been my experience? I've tried the old TS2 trick of reload-reload-reload, but it just plum doesn't seem to work in TS3.
Reloading doesn't work because the generation seed is pre-stored into the pregnancy, so you will always get the same result unless you change the variables involved. In TS2, there was thus no way to affect the outcome EXCEPT by reloading, but in TS3, you can affect the outcome by any means OTHER than reloading.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Aeschere
Asinine Airhead

Slightly Inverted

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010 January 09, 07:32:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you have debug commands enabled, you can control-shift click and select "remove from world - IRREVERSIBLE" to delete the babies. It makes the Sim invisible but can still do commands; if you reload the town they will be removed from the family tree. I've only done it a few times, I can't promise anything.

TS3 - MTS - GoS - MATY
firebox
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010 January 11, 00:46:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That does not work, the babies are still there. To properly delete an undesired sim, you have to use AwesomeMod to split it from the fambly and then delete it. Otherwise it is still around, gumming up your files.

Whoa,

So you are saying when I deleted the repo man, he is still lurking in my computer somewhere, chewing on my files?

Hmmm,

Good to know.

King Arthur: A Duck. Sir Bedevere: ...Exactly. So, logically...Peasant 1: If she weighed the same as a duck... she's made of wood. Sir Bedevere: And therefore... Peasant 2: ...A witch!
firebox
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010 January 11, 00:56:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

yup, nine for nine...all boys.

The current female sim I'm playing is natural cook, green thumb, hopeless romantic, neat, and oh I can't remember the 5th one - probably either flirty, friendly or charismatic...as I tend to use those a lot in created sims.

I'm running out of good boy names (and don't bother suggesting any, because by 'good' I mean 'slightly different' - last two were named Anker and Delman so guess I'm on a Scandinavian kick this week).

My son in real life is named Severin, not that I am suggesting it but you said you were on a Scandinavian name kick... And Annika is my daughter, I hear you on the name issue.  I hate boring names. I love Scandinavian names.

I have gone in my town and seeded several families with a new generation and every single one was a girl.  Maybe we can merge our towns.  Wink

I just today had a loopy litter of 20, and named them all M names, except for Dharma, Bindi, and Asdfg which I had to do in a fast attempt to get to the save button before she spit another kid out. Of course the litter never really happened as it was a glitch, and had to be shut down but that would be cool to have 20 kids.  Social Services anyone?

I think I will try having some boys and see what happens, I better go get apples.

King Arthur: A Duck. Sir Bedevere: ...Exactly. So, logically...Peasant 1: If she weighed the same as a duck... she's made of wood. Sir Bedevere: And therefore... Peasant 2: ...A witch!
sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010 January 11, 05:37:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh my, but this has been a 'lost weekend' and I don't mean a booze haze, either.

He did it. Put Windows 7 on - new hard drive with faster something or other and more space than I'll ever use and a bigger power supply...then last night I installed the game.

Big mistake. BIG mistake. Took me forever to get awesome mod working and my custom content to show up. Coconnor if you're reading this, I apologize. Said some dirty words...but in the end, it all works.

But slower? I thought this was supposed to make things faster. pfft.

Now to install quickbooks and turbolister and get back to work.

Oh yeah, I abandoned my old neighborhoods - I am still having issues with custom content as sims3packs (they won't install) and so the only custom content I'm left with is package files...so the old neighborhoods would be borked, so they are gone.

And thanks for the names! I just finished reading "The Sunrise Lands" so I have lots of unusual but cool names to use now!

edited to fix stupid typos

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: