More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 16:41:31

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Merging mods to increase Performance!
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Merging mods to increase Performance!  (Read 366188 times)
Arkali
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Merging mods to increase Performance! (Manually creating .dbc archives)
« Reply #150 on: 2010 January 16, 08:42:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi :-)  I'm having horrible issues with this.  I've followed the instructions on page one, and for the most part everything went fine.  Firstly, I'm working with arr'd store files only - no third party mods or custom content.  There have been some issues of the "magic DBF" error - I'm in the process of nuking the files that generated that error.  The problem, in a nutshell, is that merged files aren't showing up in game.  As a test I extracted all the store files into packages, put them in my mods folder as per normal and loaded the game - they did all load show up (eventually - it's not even an option to play this way - the game took 45 minutes to load and even after loading was so bogged down as to be virtually unplayable) which was my main purpose - I just wanted to make sure that they did work and that my directory structure was set up correctly.  However, when I went back and re-merged all the files - nada.  The game's loading fine and quickly, but none of the CC is showing up. 

The only other thing I can think of is that I am *not* importing as DBC - it glitches if I try.  I am importing .package files, leaving the default setting of "replace duplicates" (I think that's it - it IS the default, though) and then after everything is imported clicking "Save as..." and having the file be body.package or clothing.package, etc.  Apologies for any vagueness - I'm posting from a different computer so am trying to describe everything from memory.  Anyway, if anyone has any input, I'd appreciate it.

PS:  I'd also like to add that the Magic DBF thing is NOT necessarily due to trying to extract non-compressorized files.  I went back last night and deleted everything (the extracted .package files, merged .package files, etc.), ran the sims 3 packages through compressorizor, unpacked them, merged them, nada.

Read back a over the past few pages, all the answers are there. It sounds like the files you have are corrupted and the game is taking forever to read them. You need to check with resource monitor and also fix the errors. All the answers are here.

Thanks, Anach.  Actually, I think it was more a patience thing.  What I finally ended up doing was batching small groups together (40-50 files per), although that was mainly to keep straight what was "clean" and what was borked.  Also of note, most of the problem files I ran BACK through the compressorizor and it fixed them.  I'm not sure if they were somehow skipped the first time around or what, but aside from two (one hair and one file from the tiki set) everything else was okay.  Anyway, I guess my advice to anyone else is to do it methodically and work with a system.  While it's tempting to do ALL of the store files in one go 'round, there's almost a 1,000 files there and if there is a problem (and let's face it, there's going to be - Murphy's Law, if nothing else) it's a lot harder to root it out that way.
Capitaine Marie
Horrible Halfwit

Blonder Than You

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 2010 January 23, 00:42:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the info.  Too bad there's nothing similar for TS2. Grin

I don't think I could ever stab someone.  I mean, let's be honest.  I can barely get the straw in the Capri Sun.
Telraven
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 2010 February 06, 21:08:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is really useful, and has worked for me really well. Except for one problem I'm having. I looked through this thread and didn't find anything that looked like the same problem, so here goes:

I've only been using this on the Store items, and I was able to successfully merge my files. However when I went to run them through the BlueLotObject Fixer, three of them gave me this error message:
"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application..." It gives me the option to continue or quit, and it says that "An item with the same key has already been added." Since I know nothing about modding I have no idea what this means. Logically it should be something I need to find and do in s3pe before I save the merged package file, right?

I went through and repacked again into smaller groups and narrowed the troublemakers down to the Tiki set, the Ultra Lounge set, and the Ultra Lounge Youth set. However I have no idea what to look for in these sets to fix them in order to not get that error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
riggs
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 2010 February 06, 23:18:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Delphy's Dashboard will show you exactly which files are at fault. The tool may be overreacting, but I figure it's best to play it safe. A few strategic deletions should be enough to earn the Dashboard seal of approval.
riggs
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 2010 February 07, 19:07:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

2. I sorted the .package files into categories that suited my method of organisation, and this is what I used for basis of creating separate .package archives (for me it was 5 total - body, clothing, objects, patterns, world.)

One caveat here: It's been my experience that you do not want to convert world files to package format. I tried it first with Riverview and later with a CAW-generated file. In each case, my neighborhood display was completely borked. I didn't get the "blue lot" syndrome. It was more like looking through the matting for a photo collage. Some of the lots were simply missing--and I could see what looked like another world inside/below the first.

The good news is that the glitch seems completely reversible. After removing the package file, my neighborhoods were fine.

I've also seen that Sims cannot be packaged. They don't create any problems--they simply don't show up in the Sim bin.

All other mega-packages seem to work fine.
Grimma
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 2010 February 07, 19:38:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

2. I sorted the .package files into categories that suited my method of organisation, and this is what I used for basis of creating separate .package archives (for me it was 5 total - body, clothing, objects, patterns, world.)

One caveat here: It's been my experience that you do not want to convert world files to package format. I tried it first with Riverview and later with a CAW-generated file. In each case, my neighborhood display was completely borked. I didn't get the "blue lot" syndrome. It was more like looking through the matting for a photo collage. Some of the lots were simply missing--and I could see what looked like another world inside/below the first.

The good news is that the glitch seems completely reversible. After removing the package file, my neighborhoods were fine.

I've also seen that Sims cannot be packaged. They don't create any problems--they simply don't show up in the Sim bin.

All other mega-packages seem to work fine.

First off, for the Riverview problem, see the "Has any one else broken their game this bad" thread. You CAN, in fact, package Sims - however, placing the package in the Mods folder obviously won't work, since there's this handy "Saved Sims" folder in your My Documents EA folder. Try that - worked fine for me. Lots, too, don't go into Mods, they go into Library.

WARNING:PMs may be published if it contains butthurt or sporking which belong on the boards. And if I feel like it
riggs
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 2010 February 07, 22:33:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I read you reply and tested your suggestions:

Lots worked perfectly. (I'll have to add the Library folder to my weekly mega-packaging schedule.)

My test sim didn't show. Would I need to add the path to resource.cfg?

As for Riverview, I was able to uninstall the Riverview.sims3Pack file and "reinstall" it by copying an old Riverview.world file, as you suggested. Riverview was available from the Create a Town menu, and the description was a string of numbers, as you said it would be.

But I can't see what we gain by this. If the goal is to create mega-packages that speed gameplay, how does using a .world file help us? The only advantage I see is that it allows us to delete those horrible overall outfits that were inexplicably packaged with the world, but surely Anach didn't devise this whole strategy just to do that.  Wink
Sarafina
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 2010 February 08, 03:51:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, I used this process for a few of my files earlier (ones that will always be kept in).  I have since updated patches and installed WA.  Ever since then, my merged packages (in .package format, not dbc)do not show up again.  I do have the dbc addon in my resource.cfg as I was planning on downloading the latest store sets in that format, so that shouldn't be an issue.  All the framework is correct and installed (I triple) checked, and yet the packages are still not showing post patch and WA install.  Anyone have any idea why?
ChilltownNJ
Blathering Buffoon

Go head, Pull it, I Dare U!

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 2010 February 08, 12:05:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Seeing as we have no clue, exactly, what you have packaged together, my first suggestion would be to make quadruple sure that you have the framework present in the base game and also in the WA folder.  I believe that (that?) has been the issue for most as to why their cc was not showing up in game, post WA.  Also, make sure that you installed the complete framework, both Game and Mods folders, because in the game\bin folder resides the little file that makes the magic happen, d3dx9_31.dll.  And finally, if you replace the framework, make sure to edit the resource.cfg file to reflect any changes.  How I do it is, I extract the framework.zip file into my game folder, which overwrites the resource.cfg with the framework's default cfg file.

It may also be possible that a package file that was previously working in Base, in which you have "packaged" together with others, may be causing havoc in WA.  What exactly did you package together?

:Edited for uncertainty.  Lol  The second that not being there bugs me for some reason.  Damn MATY, and it's unforgiving ways.
« Last Edit: 2010 February 08, 14:08:59 by ChilltownNJ » Logged
geminia
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 2010 February 08, 23:35:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I'm stupid.....I'm trying to do what anach said, with my latest downloads (latest store updates) and I'm ending up with a 1.20 MB .package file, out of 114 files (66MB in total) and nothing shows up in game...I have no idea what i'm doing wrong and i'm getting really frustarted, cause I really need to find a way to install new store stuff, after the 2.3 fail patch that killed our launcher.

Edit: typos pfft...

NO TINYURLING THE DRAGONS! < ---- Pitty, but good to know anyway
Sarafina
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 2010 February 09, 00:00:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Seeing as we have no clue, exactly, what you have packaged together, my first suggestion would be to make quadruple sure that you have the framework present in the base game and also in the WA folder.  I believe that (that?) has been the issue for most as to why their cc was not showing up in game, post WA.  Also, make sure that you installed the complete framework, both Game and Mods folders, because in the game\bin folder resides the little file that makes the magic happen, d3dx9_31.dll.  And finally, if you replace the framework, make sure to edit the resource.cfg file to reflect any changes.  How I do it is, I extract the framework.zip file into my game folder, which overwrites the resource.cfg with the framework's default cfg file.

It may also be possible that a package file that was previously working in Base, in which you have "packaged" together with others, may be causing havoc in WA.  What exactly did you package together?

:Edited for uncertainty.  Lol  The second that not being there bugs me for some reason.  Damn MATY, and it's unforgiving ways.

I have three different merged packages, one of hair, one of objects, and one of store content.  I have checked the framework many times, it's most definetly in both folders (and my other package files do work and show up).  Checked the resource.cfg file again, using coconnor's example.

So yeah, the only thing I can think is wrong right now is that I might have to redo the files.  Maybe patching or installing wa breaks it for some reason.
ChilltownNJ
Blathering Buffoon

Go head, Pull it, I Dare U!

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 2010 February 09, 02:42:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sarafina, the only thing I can suggest to you, if your "up to the challenge", is to put the original .package files back into your mods folder and then delete the "packaged" files.  Now, use sims3dashboard to locate any possible mods conflicts or errors and run the Process Manager to locate any troubling .packages during a game "test run".  Do a search in MATY to find the specific whereabouts for the programs and the how to's, to set them up.  They have both been detailed extensively in other threads.
WhoreBot
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 2010 February 09, 03:15:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well a big thanks to Anach for the awesome explanation - I followed all the steps (and after giving my head a shake to get rid of the stupidity) I managed to sort it all out.  I made sure to put both the Resource.cfg and the dll in the new HELS location.  I packaged just over 6,300 packages (3.63GB) into 139 packages (2.87) including all the 3rd party CC and all store objects and everything is showing up and my game is running like a cat with its ass on fire.  Anach you've brought the joy back into my game and are officially my new precious.  I am at your bidding  Grin

Sarafina & Geminia: Stupid question but have you made sure to delete the cache files from the My Documents folder?
geminia
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 2010 February 09, 07:52:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmmm....it seems that i've missed something here..
1. I did not delete the cashe files (slaps self)
2.There is an error that pops up when I import my .package files into s3pe "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application.If you click continue,the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.If you click quit,the application will close immediately. Expected magic tag 'DBPP'. Found 'DBPP'. " I have no idea what this means -blonde was my natural as a kid- and i always click on continue and the application continues normally with no issues. I don't know if this error has anything to do with my issue.
3.I've completely missed the .dll part (framework) and I need to do a search on that as well , since I red only the first pages of this thread

Edit: I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I cleared all cashe files, even moved my mods folder to the WA folder (it was working fine in the base game one, so I had never moved it anyway)but still I can't find my newly "packaged" files in game. Any help with the .dll file? I can't seem to find any info on it. Witch file is it and what do I do with it?Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: 2010 February 09, 09:05:23 by geminia » Logged

Grimma
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 2010 February 09, 09:35:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmmm....it seems that i've missed something here..
1. I did not delete the cashe files (slaps self)
2.There is an error that pops up when I import my .package files into s3pe "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application.If you click continue,the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.If you click quit,the application will close immediately. Expected magic tag 'DBPP'. Found 'DBPP'. " I have no idea what this means -blonde was my natural as a kid- and i always click on continue and the application continues normally with no issues. I don't know if this error has anything to do with my issue.
3.I've completely missed the .dll part (framework) and I need to do a search on that as well , since I red only the first pages of this thread

Edit: I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I cleared all cashe files, even moved my mods folder to the WA folder (it was working fine in the base game one, so I had never moved it anyway)but still I can't find my newly "packaged" files in game. Any help with the .dll file? I can't seem to find any info on it. Witch file is it and what do I do with it?Thanks in advance

Yes, that error might have something to do with it, not to mention your framework fail - WTF is up with reading only some of a thread explaining something you're failing to make work?

You need the framework for mods and .package format custom content to work. Just take a look on the board or do a search, there's a "framework" rar download which you just unrar into your game directories.

Also, I'd suggest that you don't want an archive that includes an error - at the very least, the program only loads packages UP TO that error, any packages after that doesn't get imported. You'll need to identify the individual package causing the problem (I suggest the binary method, worked like a charm for me and my over 3000 packages) and avoid importing that specific package (or packages, if it's more than one) as part of your archive.

What I did to isolate problem packages (because sometimes there's more than one): First, divide all the packages you want to load into half. So if you have 100 packages you want to archive, you only load the first 50 with S3pe. If it throws out an error, you know there's a problem within that group. Now you go and make a "new" archive and import the second half (the other 50). If it loads fine, proceed to weed out the bad package in the first group, if it also throws an error, you know that you must do the same process for both these groups.

Keep repeating the process (load the first 25, then the second 25 of the first 50; then the first 12 and the second 13 of the first 25 etc) until you isolate all packages causing problems. As the amount of packages you load become less, keep an eye on the bottom of the S3pe screen, it'll tell you which file it's currently loading and obviously, the file it loads just before crashing is your culprit.

It's a long and arduous process, but well worth it.

WARNING:PMs may be published if it contains butthurt or sporking which belong on the boards. And if I feel like it
geminia
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: 2010 February 09, 15:47:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, that error might have something to do with it, not to mention your framework fail - WTF is up with reading only some of a thread explaining something you're failing to make work?

Just lame lazyness and nothng more...
Anyway I managed to isolate the files that gave me errors, and packaged the rest. I haven't figured out yet what parts of the cc were they but everything looks to be working like a charm so far. I did get an error to manually merge XML files, I hit ok , but i did nothing more than that for them to work.
I searched for the framework and it seems i already had most of the files including the .dll one.
Thanks for your help guys...I hope i won't get back to this thread with more issues
*Blames EA for braking once more the already broken launcher and game--I'm even afraid to patch again and install the latest SP 

bettybrant
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 2010 February 14, 18:07:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just have a quick question.  I've read through this entire (extremely useful) thread and followed all the steps suggested in it to merge my package files together.  I didn't skip any steps, and before merging I also ran all the files through the Dashboard and then the Blue Lot Fixer and finally the Compressorizer.  Then I merged the files using the most recent (Feb 14) s3PE tool. The process was as smooth as butter and at the end I had two nice files (rather large at 81 MB and 100 MB), which I put into my "Misc" folder in Packages.  

However one recommended step I was not able to do was to run the files through any of Delphy's tools to check them.  The Dashboard tool threw up an error and after it was done, the 2 big files were missing from the final file list.  The Blue Lot Fixer also threw up an error and closed. This didn't seem normal, so I'm wondering what caused it.  Should I be concerned that I had to skip this step?

Once  I  installed the merged files, the game loaded fine and all the objects seemed to be there in both the house of the test family and in Buy Mode, so maybe this doesn't matter, but I wondered if anyone else had a similar experience or any thoughts.  
« Last Edit: 2010 February 14, 21:06:48 by bettybrant » Logged
Drowelvenmaiden
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 2010 February 16, 15:31:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I want to thank you a lot, Anach! You made my simmy life worth again. I followed your tutorial step by step, and now my game is loading super smooth Cheesy. I am a real noob about programming, modding, etc., and your tutorial made the process easy. But (like a real noob), I have two little questions: when I was running s3pe - while saving the packages, the program screen showed me some files with the types '0x7672f0c5', '0x73e93eeb' and '0x044ae110", all with the instance '0x0000...", should I let them quiet or should I delete them?   And what about the "manually XML merge" thing? Should I import like package first, and then re-import like .dbc?   Huh

To the others noobs like me: I first ran the contents in s3rc (the sims3pack and .packages), I opened the sims3packs in the Delphy's Multipack extractor, and then I run the s3pe - I used the 's3pe-1002-07-1313' version.  Wink

To the grammar police: I am sorry, but English is not my native language and I am not used to write in it, so, I want to apollogize any mispelling or grammar mismatch.  Cool
« Last Edit: 2010 February 19, 13:18:52 by Drowelvenmaiden » Logged
nadalbaby
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 2010 February 21, 14:38:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Question. I don't know if anyone has asked but, can you merge the files in DcBackup or would that create conflicts within the game?
aelfwyne
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 2010 February 21, 22:49:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Question & Suggestion:

Q: Has anyone determined what advantage there is using "import as dbc" over "import as package"? I tend to have fewer issues using Import as Package it seems.

S: Have found managing all these files, juggling backup folders, already merged folders, testing, new downloads, etc... MUCH easier using a quad-pane file manager Smiley... http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/Q-Dir is awesome for managing all these files in random locations on hard drives, and is free... no I'm not associated with them, but if you're tired of juggling multiple explorer windows, there ya go Smiley

JMyers
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 2010 February 22, 16:57:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know this has been asked, so please do not be upset with me on this.  I have followed the steps provided by going through and using the SP3. 

I have reinstated my game.  The content that I have downloaded from here shows that it is being installed but never greys out.  I have tried to use the SP3 following the steps provided.  I think I am doing something wrong.  The store content, does not show in package when I use the SP3.  Is there something that I am supposed to use to open the content first then use the SP3?   Huh
socurious
Exasperating Eyesore

Loki Craptastic!

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 2010 February 22, 17:13:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know this has been asked, so please do not be upset with me on this.  I have followed the steps provided by going through and using the SP3. 

I have reinstated my game.  The content that I have downloaded from here shows that it is being installed but never greys out.  I have tried to use the SP3 following the steps provided.  I think I am doing something wrong.  The store content, does not show in package when I use the SP3.  Is there something that I am supposed to use to open the content first then use the SP3?   Huh

Using S3PE requires extracting the .sims3pack files to .package format.  There are a number of them available.  You can try ModTheSims.  Delphy made one called the  Sims3pack Multi-installer.  Extractor/installer - I can understand why you'd miss that in your Google search.

..."you should certainly be well-read in a subject before you pass judgement on it," Solowren
JMyers
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 2010 February 22, 23:24:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you I had that downloaded but did not know what to do with it.  Now that I am using the extractor/installer.  Some of my files go into the format others give me an error about a "3" error and maxium and minimum, any ideas? Value of "3" is not valid for value.

Value should be between minimum and maximum. 

Parameter name:  Value at system.  Windows.Forms.ProgressBar.set_value(Ing32 value) at Sims3Pack_Multi_Installer.Form1.Process Files()

Also are there files that have already been completed? 
Trystiane
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 2010 February 23, 00:32:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aelfwyne, as far as I can tell "import as package" will give you larger files and "import as dcb" will give nice compact files.  But both are the same kind of file.  I use the package option (except for store fiiles) so I don't have to go through and delete all the xml files.  My game runs great, but I am wondering if if would run even faster with dcb.

JMeyers, if you are asking whether completed merged store files are available to download, I don't know, but you can dl all store content up to Dec 09 in dcb packages which work just the same as long as you have your resource.cfg written correctly.  Search here for the dcb's.

Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks.
--Marx
JMyers
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 2010 February 23, 01:34:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you mean search this section for the dcb files?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: