More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 01:22:42

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Create-A-World Tips, Tricks, and Annoyances
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Create-A-World Tips, Tricks, and Annoyances  (Read 229375 times)
DigiGekko
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: Create-A-World Tips, Tricks, and Annoyances
« Reply #25 on: 2009 December 17, 22:07:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you hadn't noticed it, the lot size appears in the lower right corner of the program window as you make the lot. Stupidly, I don't think there's a way to edit lot size after one has been built.
KawaiiMiyo
Dollaboo
Dimwitted Dunce

INFP! ^_^

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2009 December 17, 22:22:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you hadn't noticed it, the lot size appears in the lower right corner of the program window as you make the lot. Stupidly, I don't think there's a way to edit lot size after one has been built.

Nope I hadn't noticed it a bit! Thanks for that. Also now that you've pointed that out, and I've had something to go by, I also see it shows up when selecting a lot under the "Placement" box on the left.

Also thanks Zazazu for that bit of info, thanks to you both. Got it figured out now. Last but not least. When placing a lot, does it have to be right up against the road? Or will it work 1 square off?

With how easily roads and things become crooked, It's hard to have things lined up exactly, and there have been a few times a lot might overlap a road if it was too close. So I started placing them one square away, could this be a bad idea? Is it safe to assume it will snap in place while playing?

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. ~Ayn Rand
Rhumba
Asinine Airhead

I forgot who I stole this avatar from.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2009 December 17, 22:39:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@Zazazu - I see what you mean now. I neglected to check the snap to grid, so it took some re-laying of roads to get the lots to meet the road properly to avoid gaps.

About cloning -

I was doing an edit in game and my world came to a crashing halt when I tried to select a lot.  When I went back into CAW, I realized that the clone tool duplicates the lot name also. I think it may have been causing issues when I was trying to do things to one of the clones or its original.

I went back and re-named all the cloned lots to something unique and the problem hasn't re-occurred.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2009 December 17, 23:43:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're still one step ahead of me. I can't edit in game. Everything is patched up, including World Adventures. Awesomemod is the only cc I have in and it has been updated. I can get in the game and in Sunset Valley. I cannot, however, edit in game via CAW. I skate through the initial loading screen, but on the world loader (the one with a tips window and a blurry background) it gets to about 5% and then stalls for three or four minutes, eventually crashing to CAW with no error shown.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
simovitch
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2009 December 17, 23:45:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I exported my world.  Now how do I get it into my game as a hood?

From the help.pdf:
Share your worlds on The Sims 3 Community Exchange so other players can play them in their games!
To share a world:
First add a world description and an icon by right-clicking the topmost layer of your world and 1. choosing ADD/EDIT DESCRIPTION. Your icon image must be a .png file that is 256x256.
Save your world.2.
Under the File menu, choose SELECT WORLD FOR EXPORT and then browse to the world file that 3. you want to export and choose OPEN.
Finally, upload it to the Exchange (via 4. The Sims 3 Launcher) as you would a lot or family.

From MTS discussion board (I think):
When i first installed the tool i edited quickly SunSet Valley template and then exported the files...
Then i moved them at C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Worlds and the game loaded it just fine
Next time, just go to Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Exports and double click the world. It'll start installing.

Now I can't give icon image to the world I created. "a .png file that is 256x256"? I created a 256x256 .png in paint, but then the world builder says "Selected file is not a 24-bit color PNG image". I tried to get some from google image, but none of them is 24-bit either. Help!

Which program did you end up using to create the 24 bit color png image? My photoshop doesnt seem to carry the 24 bit option, just 8, 16 or 32.
KawaiiMiyo
Dollaboo
Dimwitted Dunce

INFP! ^_^

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2009 December 18, 00:11:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're still one step ahead of me. I can't edit in game. Everything is patched up, including World Adventures. Awesomemod is the only cc I have in and it has been updated. I can get in the game and in Sunset Valley. I cannot, however, edit in game via CAW. I skate through the initial loading screen, but on the world loader (the one with a tips window and a blurry background) it gets to about 5% and then stalls for three or four minutes, eventually crashing to CAW with no error shown.

Didn't you say in the other thread you weren't able to get Riverview to install with the other CC? Correct me if I'm mistaken! But this happened to me, when I tried to edit in the game, while still having the problem Riverview file in my mods folder. After I took out all of my store content (Since I didnt know which files contained riverview) It solved the crashing problem. Not sure if thats the reason, just thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

Is it possible to use a different texture for the sidewalk in CAW? If so, maybe a sparse grass would look better than dirt and resemble a banked shoulder. I really wish there was a way to take out the sidewalk for period hoods or country hoods. I rarely see sidewalks out in the country here.

I've been experimenting with this a bit myself. I didn't like the line of grass between the dirt road and sidewalk, but found out if  for the opacity layer on the sidewalks, if I use the dirt_intersection_crosswalk.dds instead it makes it solid, so its possible to actually have the dirt sidewalk look like part of the road.  Also there is a medium grass texture included to use for the sidewalk, to hide it as well. Though it looks slightly off.

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. ~Ayn Rand
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2009 December 18, 00:33:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Which program did you end up using to create the 24 bit color png image? My photoshop doesnt seem to carry the 24 bit option, just 8, 16 or 32.

IrfanView

Sims 3 Blog: Twinbrook Redux
ingeli
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: 2009 December 18, 00:39:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is a little tricky at start, but it is growing on me. Here is a pic on what I am working on:

That is an island which, with time, will be my new Old Town in Windle.

Now, if I could figure out how to get custom paints and other textures in there, preferrably stuff I already have in game. Cheesy
ioscream
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2009 December 18, 00:55:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is a little tricky at start, but it is growing on me. Here is a pic on what I am working on:

That is an island which, with time, will be my new Old Town in Windle.

Now, if I could figure out how to get custom paints and other textures in there, preferrably stuff I already have in game. Cheesy

Were you able to connect road-ways to bridges? Still trying that one. Took me awhile to get my roads to connect.
simovitch
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2009 December 18, 00:57:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

IrfanView
Thank you. Seems like I am having a hard time with this program as well, could you possible inform me of the steps you took? Thank you again in advance!
ingeli
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: 2009 December 18, 01:02:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They look connected. Need to test though.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2009 December 18, 01:10:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Didn't you say in the other thread you weren't able to get Riverview to install with the other CC? Correct me if I'm mistaken! But this happened to me, when I tried to edit in the game, while still having the problem Riverview file in my mods folder. After I took out all of my store content (Since I didnt know which files contained riverview) It solved the crashing problem. Not sure if thats the reason, just thought I'd throw it out there just in case.
I didn't say that. I tried removing all references to Riverview in My Documents. All my other CC had been stripped out earlier. I'm still having the same problem. My next thought is to try uninstalling and reinstalling, but I'm too upset at it right now.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
ioscream
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2009 December 18, 01:46:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They look connected. Need to test though.

well i would imagine if they actually connected it would snap like road segments do.. once you get them lined up right the 2 touching ancor points (the blue ones) merge.. i noticed that bridge also has these same styled anchor points, though i havent been able to get them snap like the roads do..

EDIT: Right after I posted that I got the road to snap to the bridge.. so.. fucking awesome..
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2009 December 18, 03:12:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

IrfanView
Thank you. Seems like I am having a hard time with this program as well, could you possible inform me of the steps you took? Thank you again in advance!

File -> Batch conversion/rename -> Output format: png -> advanced -> change color depth: 16.7 million color
Then pick your output directory, add your files.

simovitch
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2009 December 18, 03:37:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

IrfanView
thank you!
File -> Batch conversion/rename -> Output format: png -> advanced -> change color depth: 16.7 million color
Rhumba
Asinine Airhead

I forgot who I stole this avatar from.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2009 December 18, 03:51:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

IrfanView

I'd like to add that the standard, comes-with-Windows-7, version of Microsoft Paint saved .PNG in 24 bit by default. That's what I used to make a thumbnail anyway. I don't know if this is true in XP or Vista though.

Well, after fussing with my starter world, I finally exported it just to see what I'd be dealing with in-game with the camera masking and so on.

You can totally blow off doing an Edit in Game in CAW of many things, and complete them after export. I left all the community lots blank and was able to fill them in in Edit Town mode. The catch is, of course, that you aren't then exporting a completed world to share... just a fixer upper.  

The Edit in Game feature is a resource hog - My system gnashed it's teeth over the whole process, though running just CAW by itself was not a problem.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2009 December 18, 04:00:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After doing an uninstall and reinstall of the base and WA, I still was having crashing on edit-in-game (or loading the exported map) with my map only. I then tried cleaning up my road bits and making sure that I had no dark blue connections. Saved and tried to edit in game again. Golden. Now I can move on to placing trees and such with the knowledge that all my work will not be in vain.

EDIT: Done.

You can download here. It is called Dragon Cay. There is a dragon, and the cay looks like its tail.

Remember, lots are basically blank and none of the functional rabbitholes have been placed. Should work in just basegame, but I'd be interested in knowing if some of the objects (mainly the dragon head) show without WA. Also remember, I like tiny lots. Most of the lots are at least 14x14, but I do have a 10x10 and a few 11x25s. There are very few "large" residentials over 20x20, but a few of the designated community lots should hold multiple rabbithole buildings. Loads if you use the compact ones found in the Pudding Factory.

EDIT: Fixed file with lot addresses, sim routing boundaries, and less funky road syndrome.
« Last Edit: 2009 December 18, 19:28:33 by Zazazu » Logged

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
ingeli
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: 2009 December 18, 08:53:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, thats very useful info Zazazu. The hood looks amazing.
I also found out how to get more options for terrain paint: "add layer" in the window for paint options means that you can pick more options from the textures for roads ect. They are dds-files. You can also browse to any location on your computer to get other textures - saved in the right format (obviously .tga ord .dds) and they must be max 1024x1024 pixels.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: 2009 December 18, 10:41:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I stll haven't got the "feel" for snapping roads to intersections and bridges.  What do I do - pull the road nearly to the bridge and then let go and see what happens?  Pull the road to the centre of the bridge?   And what signal do you get that a snap has occurred?   Last time I thought I had snapped the road to the bridge it was actually running underneath it into the river.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
ingeli
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: 2009 December 18, 10:48:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The squares must NOT be dark blue. Yeah, it was tricky, but I finally got it to work,
Baron
uknortherner
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2009 December 18, 11:47:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After doing an uninstall and reinstall of the base and WA, I still was having crashing on edit-in-game (or loading the exported map) with my map only. I then tried cleaning up my road bits and making sure that I had no dark blue connections. Saved and tried to edit in game again. Golden. Now I can move on to placing trees and such with the knowledge that all my work will not be in vain.

EDIT: Done.

You can download here. It is called Dragon Cay. There is a dragon, and the cay looks like its tail.

Remember, lots are basically blank and none of the functional rabbitholes have been placed. Should work in just basegame, but I'd be interested in knowing if some of the objects (mainly the dragon head) show without WA. Also remember, I like tiny lots. Most of the lots are at least 14x14, but I do have a 10x10 and a few 11x25s. There are very few "large" residentials over 20x20, but a few of the designated community lots should hold multiple rabbithole buildings. Loads if you use the compact ones found in the Pudding Factory.

I was going to try it, especially as I'm running the Base game only, but your link's broken.

INTJ (44/12/38/67).
"We're building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, and consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business." -EA CFO Blake Jorgensen
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2009 December 18, 12:14:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also thanks Zazazu for that bit of info, thanks to you both. Got it figured out now. Last but not least. When placing a lot, does it have to be right up against the road? Or will it work 1 square off?

With how easily roads and things become crooked, It's hard to have things lined up exactly, and there have been a few times a lot might overlap a road if it was too close. So I started placing them one square away, could this be a bad idea? Is it safe to assume it will snap in place while playing?

From the official world help.pdf:
Keep world-placed game objects at least one tile away from the outside of the lot.
However, it also says:
Lots should have one side flush against the road to enable smoother smoother routing when Sims go from their house to the road.
Roads and sidewalks are world-placed game objects, so what's the best position of lots vs. roads/sidewalks? One tile away or next to it?

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2009 December 18, 12:25:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Next to. By "objects", they mean crap like rocks, trees, etc.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
kittyuk
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2009 December 18, 13:19:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I try to 'edit in game' the caw tool crashes, any advice, please? I have read the posts on the page, but nothing helps.
When I opened a small world map and added one plant, I could 'edit in game', but when I then added a road, a couple of spaces for houses and some fish in the sea...................I couldn't 'edit in game'!
« Last Edit: 2009 December 18, 14:09:16 by kittyuk » Logged
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2009 December 18, 13:43:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Next to. By "objects", they mean crap like rocks, trees, etc.

Ok, flush to roads. What if my road network consists of mainly sidewalks. Should houses best be placed flush to the sidewalk too? Would sims go nuts routing if they ain't?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: