More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 09:01:23

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Patch 1.8/2.3 plus Create a World Released
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Patch 1.8/2.3 plus Create a World Released  (Read 237205 times)
captaincaliena
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Patch 1.8/2.3 plus Create a World Released
« Reply #400 on: 2010 January 08, 01:48:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ack, I mistyped (mis-typed?)!  I do have it in both folders.
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: 2010 January 08, 02:19:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ack, I mistyped (mis-typed?)!  I do have it in both folders.
Try placing the Resource.cfg file into only the Mods>Packages folder in the directory where you actually have the package files.  For instance, my Mods>Packages (framework files) which contain the actual package files (and the .dbc files) are in my World Adventures directory.  But remember, if you read my "How To Install The Framework & AwesomeMod" stickied thread, that the Resource.cfg file should only be placed within the applicable directory and not within the actual Mods>Packages folders.

I do not have a Resource.cfg file in myTS3 directory, except the one in the Game>Bin folder (which should not be edited).  Mine in that location reads (in the event you need to copy & paste it back into yours):

Priority -29
PackedFile UI/UI.package
PackedFile Automation/AutomationData.package
PackedFile Jazz/JazzData.package
FileType 0xf0ff5598 triggers
FileType 0x0333406c xml
FileType 0x1a3201cd mod
FileType 0x025c95b6 layout
FileType 0x025c90a6 css
FileType 0x062e9ee0 ttf
FileType 0x062e9ee0 otf
FileType 0x062e9ee0 ttc
FileType 0x03b33ddf mod
FileType 0x0604abda dreamtree

Do not edit the resource.cfg files that the game creates unless specifically instructed to do so by someone like Pescado.  The one you edited appears to be correct and should (again) be only in the directory which contains the framework files that actually contain the package files.

Also, as a point of interest, all my content is installed and working, but before I reinstalled and patched, I had removed my Downloads folder to my desktop and simply replaced all the files afterward into the Downloads folder created in the new install.  Everything is there and everything shows up in game.  The only problem I've had is that new store items (such as the Santa hats) do not install with the launcher.  Third party Sims3packs install just fine with the launcher.

In the (should be) immortal words of Ron White:  "You can't fix stupid!"
captaincaliena
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: 2010 January 08, 05:13:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hate to say it, coconnor, but it was a no go.

I deleted the Resource.cfg out of the TS3 folder and left it in the WA folder, but alas I am still stuck with no arred content.  *plants face into desk*

I'm thinking that I have 2 options; 1) uninstall, reinstall, and only patch up to 2.2.8 or, 2)use Delphy's tool to extract the sims3packs to .packages.  I'm afraid to do that second part though because of all the reports of it causing the game to start up super slow and lag horribly.  Sad
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: 2010 January 08, 05:41:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What Resource.cfg did you have in your TS3 folder?  Was it the one you created and posted the content of?  Or did you edit the one in the TS3>Game>Bin folder?  You need the resource.cfg file created by the game in that folder, and the content should read as I posted in my last post.  If you edited that one (in Game>Bin) and subsequently deleted it, you will need to recreate it.

Where are your mods now?  In WA?  If so, the Resource.cfg, which you downloaded with the framework (or via Delphy's Installer Monkey) was supposed to be edited to read as you have it, i.e.:

Priority 500
   DirectoryFiles Mods/Packages/... autoupdate
   PackedFile Mods/Packages/*.package
   PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*.package
   PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*.package
   PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*/*.package
   PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package
   PackedFile Mods/Packages/*.dbc
   PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*.dbc

must also be in the WA directory, but not within the Mods>Packages folder.  Make sure you moved the Resource.cfg with the Mods>Packages folder.  If that does not work, I'm not sure what you're doing wrong.

Is your launcher working?  Had you deleted your downloads before reinstalling & patching?  Or did you just move them?  When presented with the option to retain your custom content and saved games, did you save it or did you wipe it all out?  I did not delete them, but backed them up to the desktop just in case and opted to save them.  I think that's why mine is working. You could try reinstalling the content that is not working via the launcher.  Mine works if I use the TS3 base game icon to start the launcher.  The WA one does not work well. I have not converted any Sims3packs to package, but I have not had to.

captaincaliena
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: 2010 January 08, 05:57:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I still have the original game Resource.cfg in the TS3/Game/Bin file.  It is unedited and looks exactly like the one you posted earlier as a reference. 

The one I edited was the one that came with the framework. 

My mods are in the WA folder, so that's where I have the edited Resource.cfg file.  Just to be clear I have 2 edited Resource.cfg files (I'm pretty sure that's what I read in this forum, but I may have been mistaken).  One is in the WA folder and the other is in WA/Mods/Files folder.

My launcher seems to be working.  I don't get any error messages or anything except when I try to install sims3pack files.  Then I just take my Mods folder out of the WA folder temporarily, install the sims3pack files, and move it back in.  The Launcher installs third party sims3packs just fine, but not my arred store content.  It says that it installs it, and it shows up in the "Installed Content" section of The Launcher, but after I start the game up it just kind of disappears.

When I uninstalled, I just dragged and dropped my Downloads folder (out of users/electronic arts/sims 3) onto my desktop.  When it asked me to delete everything I said ok because I already had it moved out of the directory.  I wonder if you're right and that's why yours is working and mine is not.  Hmm   Undecided

Did I cover everything you asked?
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: 2010 January 08, 06:21:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My mods are in the WA folder, so that's where I have the edited Resource.cfg file.  Just to be clear I have 2 edited Resource.cfg files (I'm pretty sure that's what I read in this forum, but I may have been mistaken).  One is in the WA folder and the other is in WA/Mods/Files folder.
No, you should only have one edited Resource.cfg file and it should not be in the Mods/Files folder.  In fact, the "Files" folder should not be there either, so delete it.  It was something Pescado had for an earlier process and had not taken out of the framework until recently, I believe.  You should have Mods>Packages and then whatever sub-folders you have created (within the limitations of the resource.cfg) for organizational purposes.  You do not need the "File" folder, and should not have the extra resource.cfg.  Just the one in the World Adventures directory.  Try that.

captaincaliena
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: 2010 January 08, 07:21:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I was really hoping that removing the mods/files folder was gonna do it.  Unfortunately, it did not.  I think I'm going to throw in the towel on this one.  I converted my arred sims3pack files (the ones I really wanted) to .package with Delphy's tool and they show up in the game just fine.  I don't notice a lag of any kind, so I think I'm just gonna do it this way. 

Coconnor, I want to give you a huge thank you for all of your help and patience with me.  I feel horrible that you had we had to keep going back and forth like we did.  You are truly awesome and I wish there was something I could do to repay you for your time spent on my problem. 

Perhaps you'd like to poke me with a stick?
dolldrms
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: 2010 January 08, 07:32:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Has anyone else noticed that the size of the .dbc files does not remain constant with game play?  Tonight when I started playing my dcdb0.dbc was at 205,055KB, dcdb1.dbc was at 204,048KB and dcdb2.dbc was at 8,500KB.  After quitting the game the figures were dcdb0.dbc at 204,821KB, dcdb1.dbc is now 204,526 and dcdb2.dbc is now 8,510KB.  

I had not installed or deleted any content at all.  I simply played a day of work, followed by a 3 day trip to China and home to bed.  The .dbc files in the mods>packages files still have the starting numbers, no changes.  This makes me wonder if the .dbc files from the documents section should be copied to the program area each and every time we play.  Comments?  Words of wisdom?  Suggestions?  I don't know what the correct course of action should be, i.e. not worry about the difference, or, copy the files each game start, if there is a difference in the numbers.    
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: 2010 January 08, 07:42:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I was really hoping that removing the mods/files folder was gonna do it.  Unfortunately, it did not.  I think I'm going to throw in the towel on this one.  I converted my arred sims3pack files (the ones I really wanted) to .package with Delphy's tool and they show up in the game just fine.  I don't notice a lag of any kind, so I think I'm just gonna do it this way. 

Coconnor, I want to give you a huge thank you for all of your help and patience with me.  I feel horrible that you had we had to keep going back and forth like we did.  You are truly awesome and I wish there was something I could do to repay you for your time spent on my problem. 

Nope!  Don't want to poke you with a stick because you're not an idiot.  You are spelling correctly and using punctuation.  Wish we knew what is wrong with your set-up, though!  Thanks for the compliment, but I'm really not that awesome. 

captaincaliena
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: 2010 January 08, 07:52:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nope!  Don't want to poke you with a stick because you're not an idiot.  You are spelling correctly and using punctuation.  Wish we knew what is wrong with your set-up, though!  Thanks for the compliment, but I'm really not that awesome. 

I wish I knew what was wrong with it too!  I'm glad I'm not perceived as an idiot (yet lol).  I'm kind of a grammar and spelling freak, so I I tend to proof read my posts many times.  The only thing I can think of now is that maybe I should have installed all of the arred CC before I installed the 2.3 patch.

Maybe one day I'll test that out and let you know.  Wink
twolonew
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: 2010 January 08, 12:36:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For those that need the store items in .dbc format:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5246255/The_Sims_3_Store_content_in_DCCache_format

Enjoy!

Thank you!  It solved my loading problem  Smiley
captaincaliena
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: 2010 January 08, 19:53:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm sure that no one really cares, but this information might be relevant to someone who had similar problems as I.

I got all my shared/pirated content working!  Turns out what I said in my last post about having to install all of the shared content before I patched to 2.3 was correct. 

I had to uninstall/reinstall again, but this time I installed all of my shared content before I patched to 2.3.  Then, I followed coconnor's instructions and it actually worked this time.  The only thing I'm having an issue with now is The Launcher.  The freakin' thing takes forever to come up when I click the WA icon on my dock.  TS3 has always run a little slower on my Mac as opposed to my PC (which happen to reside in the same computer, btw.  Gotta love Boot Camp!), but it seems like it's taking longer than before.  Whatever, I can deal with it.  Now I can stop banging my head on the desk.
elliebanne
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: 2010 January 09, 06:32:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, as I struggled through these 17 pages of notes scrounging for answers, I decided that once I deciphered everything I was going to post at the end with the step-by-step instructions so no one else would have to read through all that.

1. Once you have installed patch 1.8 you cannot receive anymore arr'd items using the Sims 3 Launcher. If you have already installed the patch you have to uninstall the game and download everything in version 1.0.

2. Go to your Mods>Packages folder and create a new folder for your .dbc files.

3. Go to your DCCache folder (located in Documents>Electronic Arts>The Sims 3 and copy ONLY the .dbc files. DO NOT include the .ebc files (legit store downloads) or the .idx file.
    *Note, you cannot cut the .dbc files. You have to copy them then delete them later.

4. Paste .dbc files into new folder in Mods>Packages.

5. Delete .dbc files from DCCache Folder

6. Go to DCBackup and delete these files. All of them. (if you are uncomfortable deleting them, move them to a folder on the desktop or a new folder in Documents)

7. Go to C:>Program Files>Electronic Arts>The Sims 3. (your mods folder should be in this folder) This is where the Resource.cfg you NEED to edit is located. Double Click and open in Notepad.

8. Add:

PackedFile Mods/Packages/*.dbc
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*.dbc

to the end of the Document.

9. Save the new document to the desktop.

10. Delete old Resource.cfg (still in the C:>Program Files>Electronic Arts>The Sims 3 folder) and move the edited one into that folder.

Thank you Coconnor for your great work. I am not trying to steal the glory, just make it easier to read!

Happy Simming everyone!

Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: 2010 January 09, 10:32:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@ elliebanne:  I did not create this method, so not sure what you're thanking me for.  I wrote the instructional post on "How to Install The Framework & AwesomeMod", and try to assist where I can.  However, it's great that you took the time to summarize the instructions in one place for people!

Tiababy
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: 2010 January 10, 00:08:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks everyone for the help. I've spent 2 hours trying to make heads or tails of whats gone on with all the store content and how to get it back.

I finally managed to get it all to show up after realising I was editing the wrong resource (one I didn't even need!) from the files folder that came with the framework and the one I needed to edit was sitting outside of that folder.

Easier way to follow (this cleared things up for me) I found at
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=382520
(its basically what elliebanne posted but with a few pictures to make it easier to understand)

Cheesy
Ayana
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: 2010 January 11, 13:55:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, this is starting to get annoying. After updating to 1.8/2.3, I'm getting consistent CTD after the game finishes the loading process. I've tried removing my cc, clearing cache files, etc. Nothing seems to work, and I haven't been able to find anything in this thread to fix it.

Looks like it's the old uninstall/reinstall/repatch dance again.  Angry

Edit: After reinstalling, it was still crashing. Went over my gamefiles with a fine toothed comb, and found pre-1.8/2.3 Awsomemod lurking in my Sims 3 install mods, instead of in WA, where I'd thought I'd moved everything. Oh well, nice and clean now, only took at the most an hour total time away from me.
« Last Edit: 2010 January 12, 00:12:48 by Ayana » Logged
Mosquito
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: 2010 January 11, 16:34:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you using Awesomemod? Did you d/l the 1.8/2.3.3 version of it?

OT - I decided it was time to update my game, as borked-up it might turn out in the end. So, if everything works out OK, the only thing I should be worried about are new store contents, and how to install them. I`m thinking about (put your poking sticks away!) TSR Merlin...Launcher refused to install new houses I d/l, notifying it needs "software update", so I had a go with the Merlin and it worked flawlessly...what do you people think? Could it work?
« Last Edit: 2010 January 11, 16:40:13 by Mosquito » Logged
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: 2010 January 11, 17:08:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The launcher (at least the base game launcher) has been installing all third party custom content just fine. The only problem is with shared store content, AFAIKT.

Don't know anything about this TSR Merlin. It will be interesting to see the reactions/opinions of others here.  As a test, try to install some store content from the Pudding Factory download thread using this program and report back.

Mosquito
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: 2010 January 11, 20:12:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ai, ai! Just have to find something from the store I don`t already have installed...

EDIT

O_o...it...WORKED...

I d/l that christmas stuff set (deco), opened each s3p with merlin and installed. Opened the launcer and saw that they did show up in downloads section, but didn`t have the "installed" icon. Started the game, loaded a house and - there they were! However - where did they install? Since I bypassed the launcher, there were no files in DCCache folder. Did they go directly to my .dbc files? Coconor, I followed your instructions and moved those to my mods folder, modifying the Resource file (you know, the workin method we all used), so...did the Merlin install them there? The items don`t have a custom icon in game.

K, is someone willing to second this one?
« Last Edit: 2010 January 11, 20:28:41 by Mosquito » Logged
Botswana
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: 2010 January 17, 05:08:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

TSR Merlin seems to install .package versions of your sims 3 package files into your "Mods" folder. I don't use TSR Merlin, because it's a buggy piece of shit, and because converting sims 3 package files into regular package files makes my game lag like crazy.  Huh
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: