More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 03:43:26

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Wow, talk about load times...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Wow, talk about load times...  (Read 4675 times)
blackninja
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Wow, talk about load times...
« on: 2009 December 20, 04:37:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, seriously, what the fuck.  My game just took nearly an hour an a half to load up, not even joking.  It never used to take this long before the new patch, it would load up within minutes at most.  Is it caused by the quick ways to try to get the CC to work with the new patch, by putting them in your computer>EA>mods crap, or is it something else?  Seriously, I can't take this crap, if it is going to take me over an hour just to play the game I'd be better off fucking scraping it.

Help is appreciated, thanks, peace.
brownlustgirl
Knuckleheaded Knob

Giving EA the finger!

View Profile
Re: Wow, talk about load times...
« Reply #1 on: 2009 December 20, 04:48:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried the Procmon (process monitor) discussed here at MTS.

That helped me identify the bad .package files that cause the game to be in a loop trying to load them. I removed 2 files from the Mods/Packages folder and it brought my load times from 35 mins to 3 mins. Might help you.

"So you have to be hungry to eat, right? Hmph, imagine that concept."  Kirstie Alley
blackninja
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 December 20, 05:13:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey thanks!  Grin I'm going to try that out right now, hopefully it will help.

EDIT: Um...I just downloaded that PocMon thing...what I got looks nothing like the picture the guy posted about it, and it gives me no choice about like...where to look and what not.  As soon as I start it up it just goes through my whole computer, then says it ran out of memory and cancels out.  Wtf?
« Last Edit: 2009 December 20, 05:22:48 by blackninja » Logged
bitterquill
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 December 20, 08:03:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EDIT: Um...I just downloaded that PocMon thing...what I got looks nothing like the picture the guy posted about it, and it gives me no choice about like...where to look and what not.  As soon as I start it up it just goes through my whole computer, then says it ran out of memory and cancels out.  Wtf?

I had this happen before I installed Windows 7; now it works fine, so I assumed it was a Vista issue (gee, there's a surprise). The first several times I ran ProcMon it did exactly what you're describing, usually within just a few seconds of starting the scan but sometimes after a minute or two. I want to preface this by saying that I really don't know all that much about computers so I'm not sure why this worked. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who can explain what went wrong and why this fixed it, or even give you a better workaround. Hell, maybe it *didn't* fix it, and I just scared my computer into submission with all the cursing and yelling.

First, make sure that you have the filters set up properly so you're not getting unnecessary data. Then, start a scan. This is where I had crashes, and it sounds like you're having an identical issue. Once the scan is running, you'll need relatively quick fingers to stop the scan (ctrl+e), clear the data (ctrl+x), restart the scan (ctrl+e) and repeat. Eventually it will stop attempting to gather data at a rate that it can't handle, at which point it will allow you to run a decent scan. It could have been entirely coincidental, but after doing this for ten minutes or so, the program no longer needed constant prodding and was able to run relatively smoothly.

Just in case, try the cursing and yelling, too.
brownlustgirl
Knuckleheaded Knob

Giving EA the finger!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 December 20, 08:22:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Um, you do need to read the thread so you can know how to filter your search and follow the directions that Delphy gives in that post.

You don't have to read the whole thread, but at least look around and see the different choices people recommend for filtering.

EDIT: I have Vista (Yeah, it's a pain) but never ran into that problem. IDK, followed the filters.

"So you have to be hungry to eat, right? Hmph, imagine that concept."  Kirstie Alley
bitterquill
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 December 20, 12:34:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's definitely true. As I said, making sure you have the filters set correctly is the first step. I tried it with and without the registry entries that Delphy provided in the thread, too, and still initially got the same problem. I'm not sure if anything I described above actually helped with the memory leak, but being able to use keyboard commands is certainly helpful when the program crashes within seconds, not giving you enough time to point and click to stop the crash. And maybe Vista had nothing to do with it, either, but I know I haven't had any trouble since switching to 7. So yeah, I only know what worked for me.
« Last Edit: 2009 December 20, 12:42:29 by katana » Logged
sheep_plushi
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 December 20, 19:42:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Process Monitor is on that page but the filter is on page 12 of that thread, that way you'll only load Sims 3 or the EP. The original page is not what you're going to see the results from though. Once you've got the monitor running with the game fore about 5 minutes quit the game then on the ProcMon menu choose Tools/Count Occurrences then select 'path'. Then you can click on the 'count' twice so that it will show your highest repeat offenders first. Anything from your package file that loads about 200 or more times should be deleted. Hope this helps.

I park on your car.
Audrey
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 December 20, 19:44:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This works.  I have deleted the offending files and the load time is down from 45 mins to 3-4. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: