More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 15:25:41

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Win7 Load Times?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Win7 Load Times?  (Read 6369 times)
Cynarra
Blathering Buffoon

S&W: The original point and click interface. ENTJ

View Profile
Win7 Load Times?
« on: 2009 December 10, 17:59:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just installed Win7, on a fabulous new laptop.

I noticed that my load times for a 2.5 Gig downloads folder is around 10 minutes~!!!!!  Shocked
My old P2 computer loads faster!

Anyway, I heard that it has to do with the game being made pre-dual core computers? Does anyone know a tweak I could do to speed up game load times?

Here are my specs:

Microprocessor 2.20 GHz AMD Turion X2 RM-75 Dual-Core Mobile Processor
Microprocessor Cache 1MB L2 Cache
Memory 4096MB
Memory Max 8192MB
Video Graphics ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics RS780M
Video Memory Up to 1918MB
Hard Drive 320GB (5400RPM)

Thanks!

I AM THE LAW!  Judge Dredd
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Win7 Load Times?
« Reply #1 on: 2009 December 10, 18:03:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your problem is having a 2.5 GB download folder. Start deleting! That much CC in a game is simply unreal, it is not even possible for a sim to WEAR that much CC. If your neighborhood had 30 famblies averaging 6 people apiece, each of which wears 10 megs of CC EACH, that's still only 1.8, and this is an ENORMOUS neighborhood. A more conservative neighborhood estimate would be about half that with half as much CC.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Cynarra
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 December 10, 22:25:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheesy

None of it is bodyshop content. 

I just noticed it takes same amount of time to load with same amount of content on a new machine vs. a P2 machine with less than a gig memory, thought maybe I could tweak what loads like I did XP.

Hegelian
Undead Member

Viva o Acre Livre! Viva a Revolução!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 December 11, 19:58:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have 3.7 GB of files in the Downloads folder, and it doesn't take nearly that long to load the game (in Win XP Pro SP3, although I don't think that matters in this instance). Not all 3.7 GB is active at any given time (only about 1 GB is clothing, including meshes), but there is still more stuff than you report. This is on a desktop; it would take forever to load the same stuff on my old laptop with 1.8 GHz Pentium M ("Dothan") and a 5400-rpm hard drive, from 2005.

Two things stand out as likely bottlenecks in your machine. The CPU is rather underpowered by today's standards (probably designed more for power savings and low heat than performance), and the hard drive is also slow (fast laptop drives are 7200 rpm). Both of these will have a significant affect on your load times.

Sorry!

Also, note that the HD 3200 RS780M graphics controller is integrated with the motherboard, and uses the system RAM instead of having its own dedicated RAM. This is why the spec states "up to" 1918 MB of RAM—it will use as much system RAM as you can feed it, up to that maximum amount.

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
Cynarra
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 December 13, 03:47:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So turning off the desktop and such are the only tweaks until I can upgrade the mem to 8 gb?

Thanks that is the information I was seeking!

Hegelian
Undead Member

Viva o Acre Livre! Viva a Revolução!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 December 13, 16:13:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That probably will not make a difference. The load time is determined by how fast the hard drive can feed data to the CPU, and how fast the CPU can process the instructions it receives.

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 December 14, 12:54:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you want to REALLY boost your load times, get a metric fuckton of RAM and install the entire mess to RAMdisk. At this point your computer will stop touching the hard drives entirely when starting your game, and all your loading should become lightning fast. The drawbacks? Should you do something stupid and cause your computer to lose power or crash before it can dump out to permanent storage, say goodbye to your game.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
coltraz
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 December 15, 21:04:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Metric fuckton? That's a Dexter quote.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 December 15, 21:19:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, it's a bit less than an Imperial fuckton, but otherwise works about the same.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: