More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 08:13:54

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Package files showing up as Sims2 Pack Clean Installer files...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Package files showing up as Sims2 Pack Clean Installer files...  (Read 5606 times)
LeaveMeAlone
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Package files showing up as Sims2 Pack Clean Installer files...
« on: 2009 December 09, 02:04:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oops, I definitely broke it!  This is the only place where I know I'll be offered a constructive solution.  All of my CC, (with the exception of lots), are showing up as Sims2 Pack Clean Installer files.  I'm sure in my infinite wisdom I inadvertently changed how to open the files.  I tend to do a shitload of things at once and sometimes, something suffers.  How can I change everything back?  I would suspect that this could bork my game if I don't troubleshoot.  Any help in the right direction would be much appreciated, thanks guys.
olienka
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Package files showing up as Sims2 Pack Clean Installer files...
« Reply #1 on: 2009 December 09, 02:21:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I'm understanding your description correctly, then it's mostly a cosmetic change. The game still reads them fine. But if you'd rather have them set to open in a different program (e.g. mine default to SimPE), then choose any .package you like and left-click > Open With > Choose Default Program...  should get you on the right track. That's assuming a Windows OS, and exact labelling may differ slightly between XP/Vista/W7. If you have a Mac, I have no idea what to tell you.
LeaveMeAlone
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 December 09, 03:33:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, it's partly a cosmetic change.  However, I need to know what program the package files uses to open them with.  It's not one of the choices that comes up, that much I know.  Sorry I didn't add that detail in the previous post.  I'm sure I'm going to have to go to My Computer/Tools/Folder Options/File Types to make the change, but that's where I hit a dead end.  
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 December 09, 05:50:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It really depends upon what program you want to use.  What do you want to happen when you double click on a package file?

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
olienka
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 December 09, 06:18:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's spectacularly unclear, but I think the problem here is that there *is* no problem.

LeaveMeAlone, if I understand you now, you accidentally changed the association for your .packages and now you're worried because you can't find the original program, yes? To which I say, of course you can't find it, it doesn't exist. By default, .package files are UNassociated.

However, I will reiterate: despite their current appearance, the game will still READ your files fine. They could be associated with something ridiculous like iTunes, even, and this would not change. (Though in that case I would not advise double-clicking them!)

You don't need to 'know' what program opens them unless, as Mootilda says, you actually plan to open them. In which case, you would have to download a third-party application such as SimPE and associate them with that. That's what I originally thought you might be asking.

Basically, nothing in your set-up seems to actually be broken.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 December 09, 20:29:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

All that happened is that when you got Clean Installer, it assigned a thumbnail type for the previously generic thumbnail. By default, Windows gives every file type it does not recognize initially that generic thumbnail. The cosmetic change does nothing functionally and is arguably a good thing.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
LeaveMeAlone
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 December 10, 00:07:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks olienka, Mootilda and Zazazu for all of your input.  I was inadequately trying to convey my concern about the files showing up as they were.  I thought that gameplay issues could transpire if they remained that way.  I appreciate the insight!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: