More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 12:41:37

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  SERIOUS problem!!!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: SERIOUS problem!!!  (Read 6864 times)
AloeOwl
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
SERIOUS problem!!!
« on: 2009 December 05, 16:58:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Let me just say that if there any spelling mistakes forgive me because me screen is screwed up.
This has happened before, and basically what happens is that during game play my game freezes, the UI disappears and when it comes back quarter of my screen is normal the other three quarters is... eh... how can say this? well, it's cut a little higher (or lower?) than the rest of the good screen and there are qixely lines all over the screen.
Not only in-game!! But also out side the game (hence, any spelling mistakes) And I must say the Emotics are hilarious this way!!! hehe
Back to business... I suppose this is happening at mid night, which might make it related to the plague of midnight lag. Also, I must point out that before this "in-game session", I didn't have awesome story mod on; but when I changed it (right now) (because it crashed, because I knew it was EAs stupidity) I entered my game and in less than a minute of loading my save, this issue arises. I had this problem before (but only once) and at that time I had the older config file put in.

It's weird cause I not sure what is causing this: the midnight lag, or awesome mod glitching (which it rarely does)
Also my copy of the mod just expired and i got a new one (same version as before) and then this series of events took place.

When I exit the game the pixel lines stay there!!

For those of you that will most definitely be asking me for my specs they are: (An acer Aspire 5920G Laptop)

Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500 2.20GHz 2.20GHz
RAM: 2 GB
32 bit operating system
Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 512MB

I hope that's enough
« Last Edit: 2009 December 05, 17:21:57 by AloeOwl » Logged

~ Condemnation without investigation is the peak of ignorance ~
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: SERIOUS problem!!!
« Reply #1 on: 2009 December 05, 17:19:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That sounds very much to me like an overheating meltdown. When graphics cards overheat, they start to draw garbage all over the screen. On top of that, you're on a laptop, which means your heat dissipation is almost certainly inadequate, and may even remain so even if you're using 3booter + fpslimiter. If you're not, you're definitely set for a meltdown. My suggestion? Get a thermos full of liquid nitrogen, and periodically pour some into the vents, onto the heatsinks. Not a lot, just a bit. That, or encase your computer in a block of dry ice.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
AloeOwl
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 December 05, 17:28:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That sounds very much to me like an overheating meltdown. When graphics cards overheat, they start to draw garbage all over the screen. On top of that, you're on a laptop, which means your heat dissipation is almost certainly inadequate, and may even remain so even if you're using 3booter + fpslimiter. If you're not, you're definitely set for a meltdown. My suggestion? Get a thermos full of liquid nitrogen, and periodically pour some into the vents, onto the heatsinks. Not a lot, just a bit. That, or encase your computer in a block of dry ice.

lmao Cheesy so should I try 3 booter and fpslimiter? It might help Undecided but the problem is it has only happened twice (once before and now)

I remember, the last time it happened it was also at around 1 am (like now) but why does the graphics card over heat when it should be the processor?? (Because the latter is doing the job of loading up all the sims and stuff) I must also "re-point out" that I had awesome mod story mod ON when this happened so why would it freeze at 1 am??

AloeOwl
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 December 05, 17:37:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here are some in-game pics of the event

NOTHING! the pics seem to be showing me a game that is behaving in uttermost perfection!! Translation: That's weird, it didn't record them in the pics. I suppose you were right Pescado, it's the graphics card not the game. (but of course the game started it)

Sandman
Asinine Airhead

My Simself

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 December 07, 03:17:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Make sure your vents aren't covered up. My son's laptop has vents on the bottom and if you set it on the bed or anything other than a hard surface it will clog the vents and make it heat up.
Heodez
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2009 December 10, 09:55:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is possible to play TS3 on a laptop quite fluidly, but you've got to make choices. Despite EA's claims, I've noticed TS3 is more demanding for a laptop than TS2. Set your settings on average or low, if that isn't already done.
Also, do not play for too long in a row - for instance have a break every hour.
To cool your laptop, if you don't want to pay for a cooling stand like me, be imaginative. My technique was taping three chopsticks together and using two of those devices to elevate my laptop while on a hard surface. It let enough room for air to circulate. If you like to play in bed, use a cardboard or a hard book cover to put your laptop on.

Forever Night, a sims 2 story.
WIP
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 December 11, 05:30:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you're going to play any kind of game on a laptop, start by wedging dry ice into the heatsinks and keeping a thermos of liquid nitrogen to pour in for emergencies.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: