More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 22:28:27

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  What needs to go where to make AM work
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: What needs to go where to make AM work  (Read 179239 times)
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
Re: What needs to go where to make AM work
« Reply #50 on: 2009 December 05, 00:40:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anyway, I was lurking for a reason, and will not pester you with all this off-topic-ness.

I think the bigger problem here is that you've interrupted yet another oconnor-Silent Dreamer-Wizard Merlin threesome.  They won't know whose turn it is in a moment.  Postus interruptus.  This could be bad for their health.

Tribulatio proxima est
alexpilgrim
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2009 December 05, 11:48:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry, I followed instructions very carefully, I know how to use a computer, I am not a noob, but my game CTDs at 12:59 am on the second night every time.

I have the d3dx9_31.dll file in both directories (as directed by coconnor, in any case having this file in one directory only doesn't work either) and I tried all of the following at different times:
placing the framework (Resource.cfg file and Mods>Packages folders) in The Sims 3
placing the framework (Resource.cfg file and Mods>Packages folders) in The Sims 3 World Adventures
Placing Resource.cfg in both directories as wizard_merlin suggested.
Aaand I delete the ScriptCache file every time.

Maybe the problem is that I'm playing on a Mac, or maybe (I know I'm going to get bashed for this!) it's the AwesomeMod, or maybe it's the CC I have in my game. I took all the hacks out but have furniture and CAS items installed as Sims3Packs. I that case, if I have to choose I'd rather have nice furniture than awesomeness, and I'll just wait and keep trying with future updates.

Oh... and go ahead, call me whatever, if it amuses you.
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2009 December 05, 11:55:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Debating what sort of response to give here.

Be nice or let fly.  I guess 12.59am isn't quite the 1am crash.

Try the latest AM, you have an OLD bug which Pescado believes has been fixed.  Make sure you ARE in fact downloading the latest AM, and not some archaic, ancient, long dead and buried version of AM which your fucking browser has cached for you.  After installing delete the 4 cache files in the documents section, and you should be good to go.
« Last Edit: 2009 December 05, 12:51:10 by wizard_merlin » Logged

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
alexpilgrim
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2009 December 05, 12:21:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I'm glad you chose the positive response...   Wink

OK, I deleted the cache from my browser I'll re-download (the file info states it was created today at 0:23 though) and follow your instructions.

Thanks!  Smiley

(edit to say: re-downloaded AM, file info states created today at 4:53, keeping my fingers crossed)
sanscript
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2009 December 07, 01:27:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, I've been having the same problem as alexpilgrim; I'm also on a Mac. I just re-downloaded framework and awesome mod and installed them after clearing my internet cache.

In my The Sims 3 Directory:
Resource.cfg
Mods>Files>DDFMap.txt
Mods>Files>Resource.cfg
Mods>Packages>awesome.package
Mods>Packages>rtfm.txt (Base game version 1.7.9)
Game>Bin>d3dx9_31.dll

In my The Sims 3 World Adventures Directory:
Resource.cfg
Mods>Files>DDFMap.txt
Mods>Files>Resource.cfg
Mods>Packages>rtfm.txt (Base game version 1.7.9)
Game>Bin>d3dx9_31.dll

See my correct file placement in a later post if you want to try what I did.

I tried to run the game without the awesome.package and rtfm.txt in the Sims 3 World Adventures directory, and when that didn't work I put them in. My Mods>Packages files now look identical in each directory.

Scriptcache has been deleted.

When I try to start my game, I'm now getting an "Unknown Error" message  Huh Help?

And yes, I understand that I'm a moron. I'm fully aware of how inept I am at this simple task of placing folders in the correct places.

Other important info: I do have other mods, including indie stone (installed using the instructions here, awesome mod IS my core mod as far as I'm aware)
« Last Edit: 2009 December 12, 19:33:17 by sanscript » Logged
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2009 December 07, 01:39:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Indiestone is abandoned and obsolete, and should no longer be used.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
sanscript
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2009 December 07, 01:42:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just tossed out all other mods and CC besides the awesome.package and rtfm.txt and still no go. If I did accidentally install indie stone as the core mod, would that account for my game refusing to start both before and after deleting it? I'm assuming probably not, so I must have done something else to mess things up.

I'm doing a quick reinstall of my Sims games to start over.

Edit:
Ok, I reinstalled the games, framework, and awesome mod. Now when I try to start my game I don't even get an error message. The Sims icon bounces like it's going to start up, then a second Sims icon appears as it should, then it disappears and the first icon displays that the application is not being run Sad

Edit AGAIN: EA fucked up again, the reason I cannot get my game to start is because they released a buggy patch for Macs. No fucking wonder nothing will work!
« Last Edit: 2009 December 07, 04:44:40 by sanscript » Logged
Silent Dreamer
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2009 December 07, 16:05:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sanscript: One thing you can try that you may or may not have done yet is to drag your Sims 3 Folder to the desktop (from the Documents area, not the application contents) and start up the game. It will build a completely new folder for you. If that works, as it did for me when I installed WA (and never again saw the errors people were getting on the mac forum of the BBS) you should never see the more game-breaking bugs again. I think it is something akin to old car syndrome. When they changed the structure of the game, shit broke.

Once you have done this, you may be able to return your save files to the folder, and any other items that are a result of you -- downloads, images, music files, et cetera.

The stupid threshold has reached critical mass! Brain explosions imminent!
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2009 December 07, 16:16:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@ Silent Dreamer:  Do you have those Mod>Files folders in your set-up?  I don't think there should actually be any folders with those names, unless this is something specific to MACS that I am unaware of, not having a MAC.

In the (should be) immortal words of Ron White:  "You can't fix stupid!"
Silent Dreamer
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2009 December 07, 17:05:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm talking strictly documents folder items here, not what windows users would have as the "program files" folder. Instead of a "program files" we have to start by showing the contents of the application to access the deeper workings of the game... which is why you don't recognize half the shit I said but any mac user worth their salt should.

Anyway, no, I no longer have the "mods>files" folder that was tagging along with the framework.zip around here for the longest time. I do have tons of other random folders that aren't being accessed by anything and are strictly my way of keeping stuff in location, but yeah. Irrelevant. Smiley

Edit: in case I wasn't specific enough, there are not all folders titled by that "as a result of you" stuff exactly, I was paraphrasing. To be specific, they would be the Custom Music, Downloads, InstalledWorlds, Screenshots and Saves folders that contain items that can be replaced once the documents folder is rebuilt.
« Last Edit: 2009 December 07, 17:13:18 by Silent Dreamer » Logged

Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2009 December 07, 17:15:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was just wondering if the fact that Sanscript listed them in his Sims 3 and World Adventures folders could be messing up his framework installation.  If they're not serving any purpose, perhaps he should try removing them.

Silent Dreamer
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2009 December 07, 17:18:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had the text file in there for awhile back when I wasn't too aware of the inner workings of the mods folders for TS3 (more or less back in the first weeks of custom content) and it worked fine. The config file doesn't even look for non-package files so that shouldn't be an issue, really.

Edit: Oh wow, my brain went kaput there. I scrolled up to the original problem post. I need to stop replying to stuff before I am fully awake. Seriously.

Sanscript, your problem is the mods>files folder. Resource.cfg should be outside of the mods folder, in the "The Sims 3" folder within the application contents, and not in there.

Though my earlier suggestion of wiping the documents folder is still a good idea anyway since it'll probably take care of most of any other bug you may have read about.

sanscript
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2009 December 07, 17:56:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm a female, for the record  Wink

Thanks Silent Dreamer, I'll try your suggestions as soon as EA fixes this latest incarnation of their stupidity. Right now I'm working with a blank (reinstalled) base game without any mods or framework and it still won't even open the game launcher now that I've patched, hooray!
Silent Dreamer
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2009 December 07, 18:01:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The launcher not opening problem can usually be fixed by wiping those cache files (which also happens by removing the documents folder) if you want to give it a try. Sometimes I have to open the game 3-4 times to get it to load properly but then its good to go after. I think that has more to do with how OSX is accessing the game, since EA in all their infinite wisdom decided to give us an emulator instead of an actual mac-structured game. Which, I guess, is both a blessing and a curse.

sanscript
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2009 December 07, 18:34:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I gave that a try and the game still refused to open. I'm going to reinstall the base game and WA, refuse to patch for the moment, and uncheck my custom content box as the customer service people on EA's forums have suggested. That should at the very least get my game to open. It's ridiculous that I have to do that, but whatever. I'll take what I can get at this point. I'll deal with Awesome Mod when I know that my game is at least functioning.

Edit:
I figure I should update you guys, since you've been kind enough to give me several tips and suggestions. I reinstalled the base game and WA again, then refused to update. I unchecked the custom content box in the launcher. The game ran fine. I've now just installed the latest EA patch and it looks like my game is going to launch correctly. If it does, I'm going to try to install Awesome Mod again.

Second update: Ok, the patch installed correctly. I'm about to add in framework and Awesome Mod. Just to clarify, should I have the DDFMap.txt in Mods>Files? Or should I not even Have a Mods>Files folder at all? Nevermind, figured it out. I deleted the Mods>Files folder.

Third Update: YAY! Awesome Mod is installed and working. Now I'm just terrified of putting my custom content from EA back in the game, since that is apparently what was causing my game to fail at life. In case anyone is curious, this is my folder setup:

In my The Sims 3 Directory:
Resource.cfg
Mods>Packages>rtfm.txt (this is OPTIONAL; it's just the manual, I keep it here so I don't lose track of it. Will not affect your game in any way)
Game>Bin>d3dx9_31.dll

In my The Sims 3 World Adventures Directory:
Resource.cfg
Game>Bin>d3dx9_31.dll

I guess the silver lining to this is that I'm now intimately familiar with my Sims files, so I should never have a problem installing Awesome Mod again Tongue
« Last Edit: 2009 December 12, 19:32:06 by sanscript » Logged
Silent Dreamer
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2009 December 07, 21:19:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess the silver lining to this is that I'm now intimately familiar with my Sims files, so I should never have a problem installing Awesome Mod again

Yeah, that's pretty much how I got intimately familiar with this stuff too. "Oh, that doesn't work? Let's go read up on it and see what I can try..."

Of course, I'm like this with everything.

Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2009 December 07, 21:47:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I figure I should update you guys, since you've been kind enough to give me several tips and suggestions. I reinstalled the base game and WA again, then refused to update. I unchecked the custom content box in the launcher. The game ran fine. I've now just installed the latest EA patch and it looks like my game is going to launch correctly. If it does, I'm going to try to install Awesome Mod again.
Second update: Ok, the patch installed correctly. I'm about to add in framework and Awesome Mod. Just to clarify, should I have the DDFMap.txt in Mods>Files? Or should I not even Have a Mods>Files folder at all? Nevermind, figured it out. I deleted the Mods>Files folder.
Third Update: YAY! Awesome Mod is installed and working. Now I'm just terrified of putting my custom content from EA back in the game, since that is apparently what was causing my game to fail at life.
I guess the silver lining to this is that I'm now intimately familiar with my Sims files, so I should never have a problem installing Awesome Mod again Tongue
Glad to hear it's finally working for you.  Seems you had to go through a lot to get it to work properly!

sanscript
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2009 December 07, 23:26:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Glad to hear it's finally working for you.  Seems you had to go through a lot to get it to work properly!

You can say that again, I'll admit it was frustrating! But hey, it all worked out in the end and I feel smarter. Thanks so much for helping me, I really appreciate it  Grin

I still have not received a response on EA's forums about the problems I was having. Actually, I asked if they had any suggestions when they ignored my post to help someone who posted after me, and they deleted that reply. I guess they don't like it when you rub their noses in the fact that they have no idea how to fix the messes they help make. I'll definitely stick around here for my Sims needs, clearly you guys know what you're doing!
Morphar
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2009 December 10, 11:50:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you really need that Read The Fucking Manual, RTFM, file in there?
I don't think the game needs to read the instruction how to install custom contents.
The instructions in there is for you to read but is now outdated after WA.

Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2009 December 10, 14:35:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you really need that Read The Fucking Manual, RTFM, file in there?
I don't think the game needs to read the instruction how to install custom contents.
The instructions in there is for you to read but is now outdated after WA.

No, you don't need the RFTM in the framework files. 

sanscript
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2009 December 12, 19:29:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah it does not need to be there, but I'd lose it if I didn't keep it with the actual mod. Saves me some searching Tongue I will update that part of my post to say optional so as not to confuse anyone.
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2011 December 30, 21:13:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah...I think my question and your answer need to be under this heading for future behind the times searchers like me...so yeah.. I LIKE dead things....go ahead and poke me with the stick, call me names it's all ok...just please answer?

I'm way late to the party. Got Sims 3 and all expansion packs for Xmas, got them loaded AND working and patches to 1.29 and all EPs patched to their most current (what FUN that was--but hey it IS an EA product....)

HAVE to have the Awesome Mod or the game isn't worth playing--only it's not getting recognized... Sad  can NOT for the life of me figure out what is wrong--

Have the latest framework in place in My Docs
have tried AM in both packages and in Overrides
Have deleted the cache files
Have tried both a vanilla AM and a modifed AM

Can't even get the game to recognize the No CD part.

Help?

Oh yeah, PS: no other CC installed.

kissing_toast
Retarded Reprobate

AIDE to Jezzers

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2011 December 30, 21:42:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Totes framework fail. First I'd just double check that you're patched all the way, Patch tool. Then Use this tutorial to properly install your framework, here. No more tardly posts, K?

Cupcakes Taste Like Violence,KT_StoreFix

It's like a bowl of oranges, only one orange, is an orange of DOOM!
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2011 December 30, 21:52:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

oo thank you for the reply! However, been there done that....and that is  Sad how/where I installed the framework, yep yep...keep trying pleasE? no doubt it is something moronic I've just missed..... ?

Ps: just checked the update again--says that Fast Lane Stuf is only at 5.4 and is now instaling to 5.8--but all else is ok.

You think that'd stop the AM from working? (a yes would be great....)

EDIT: Ok, updated all, reinstalled 1.29 just in case, deleted caches, nada... Sad  What am I missing......

« Last Edit: 2011 December 30, 22:03:14 by MutantBunny » Logged
kissing_toast
Retarded Reprobate

AIDE to Jezzers

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2011 December 30, 22:01:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

oo thank you for the reply! However, been there done that....and that is  Sad how/where I installed the framework, yep yep...keep trying pleasE? no doubt it is something moronic I've just missed..... ?

Ps: just checked the update again--says that Fast Lane Stuf is only at 5.4 and is now instaling to 5.8--but all else is ok.

You think that'd stop the AM from working? (a yes would be great....)

I think you've been here long enough to know that you're supposed to use the shift key here at MATY. I doubt it's the Fast Lane thing. If the no intro that came with the framework doesn't work, it's framework fail, plain and simple.  

Cupcakes Taste Like Violence,KT_StoreFix

It's like a bowl of oranges, only one orange, is an orange of DOOM!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: