More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 09:46:01

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Facial genetic strangeness
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Facial genetic strangeness  (Read 11264 times)
DrNerd
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Facial genetic strangeness
« on: 2009 November 25, 19:20:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there any reason for the game's genetic engine to stop meshing the facial structure genetics of both parents in the children?  What I mean is, with all the kids I've had this generation (so far, 5 in the main houses, 8 outside of the main houses), the kids all seem to be facial clones of one parent or the other.  They're not combining features from both parents; they're just younger versions of one.  Hair, eye, and skin color genetics seem to be working as normal.  It's not always the SAME parent, either.  And it isn't First-Born Effect except in one case; the personalities of the kids are different (widely different, in some cases).  The last birth, I randomized, and got facial-clone twins of their daddy.  In my Uglacy in particular, I WANT a kid with some of the features of both parents, but I can't seem to make that happen in ANY household this generation, and I just want to know if there's some reason why this is happening.

Edit: I can post pictures of the problem if that would help.

More edit: I've checked in SimPE, and it's NOT a case of one parent's genetics being totally dominant.  In my Uglacy, Mom has more dominant genetics than Dad, but all three kids are clones of Dad, despite randomization.
« Last Edit: 2009 November 26, 19:52:55 by DrNerd » Logged

mildlydisguised
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
Re: Facial genetic strangeness
« Reply #1 on: 2009 December 04, 09:37:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No idea why.  I'm assuming that you haven't added any hacks since this happened?

In CAS, if you make parents and generate kids, are their facial features blending?
KillerLlama
Banned!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 December 04, 13:48:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*snicker* Maybe the game's revolting against you for deliberately making fugly sims. Just a thought.

TS2 with UNI, OFB, Seasons, FT, AL, GL, FFS, K&BID and M&G.

Puritanism: The haunting feeling that someone, somewhere, is having fun.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 December 04, 16:11:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you have faceblend limits off? I'm wondering if what you are noticing is the game's default behavior of blending faces to whatever it decides is the nearest template equivalent.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
DrNerd
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 December 04, 19:45:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No idea why.  I'm assuming that you haven't added any hacks since this happened?

In CAS, if you make parents and generate kids, are their facial features blending?

Nope, no new hacks aside from Wear Anything While Pregnant.  And I'm only running up to Seasons, so AFAIK, there's no issues with using the Squinge version of that.

And in CAS, I'm getting feature blending, which is why I chose the spouses I did.

Do you have faceblend limits off? I'm wondering if what you are noticing is the game's default behavior of blending faces to whatever it decides is the nearest template equivalent.
Don't have faceblend limits off.  This is the first time I've had this problem.  I finally did get a kid with a mix of his parents' features, it just took me forfuckingever.
Basically, I got three of these:

Except that Vex is blonde and Howie and Abel are black-haired.  That face is 100% Brad the Hippie.  Mom Tess has genes from the default PolliTech, Malcolm Landgraab IV, and Remington London the Pizza Guy, and I wanted a kid with some of those.  Happily, that happened with youngest spawnlet Stevie:

Brad the Hippie's crazy baggy eyes, and Tess's Landgraab nose and Pizza Guy mouth and jaw.  He also inherited her ten nice points, so I love him already.

Brad the Hippie is an Ottomas.  They are Uglacy GOLD.

mildlydisguised
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 December 04, 20:04:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would put it down to sadorandomness then, if you were eventually able to get a blended face.  Albeit particularly stubborn and irritating sadorandomness.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 December 04, 21:46:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

<snip>
Except that Vex is blonde and Howie and Abel are black-haired.  That face is 100% Brad the Hippie.  Mom Tess has genes from the default PolliTech, Malcolm Landgraab IV, and Remington London the Pizza Guy, and I wanted a kid with some of those.  Happily, that happened with youngest spawnlet Stevie:
<snip>
Brad the Hippie's crazy baggy eyes, and Tess's Landgraab nose and Pizza Guy mouth and jaw.  He also inherited her ten nice points, so I love him already.

Brad the Hippie is an Ottomas.  They are Uglacy GOLD.
You are truly excelling at your Uglacy.

I'd turn the limits off, especially for an Uglacy. Go into your userstartup.cheat and add a line "faceBlendLimits off" without quotes. That way, you'll get a true blend between your subjects without the game deciding to blend in Secret CAS Template #X. Since my 'hoods are built from three or four sets of templates, I hate it when my variety is culled in the slightest.

As Mildlydisguised said, it's probably annoying sadorandomness. I was adding new families from my townies today, and the first family correctly spawned the boy and girl children I needed to set them up on the first try. The second family took fourteen births to finally get two girls.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
DrNerd
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 December 05, 01:27:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't noticed any random face templates ending up in the mix, although several of the spouses had stock templates (Sandy Bruty-face, Carmen Patch-face, Remington London-face).  It's been pretty clear-cut as to which feature has come from which parent.
For instance, Tess:

Eyes from the PolliTech, nose from Granddaddy Landgraab, lower face from Xander/Coco/Cory/Rosemarie (who had the Remington London-face to start with).

And Archie, the Oddly Hot Little Bastard: Daddy Landgraab's brows, and a whole lotta Pizza Guy face, with a soupcon of Loki Beaker.

mildlydisguised
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 December 05, 11:44:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Archie was the best ever.  He should have a spin off.
DrNerd
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 December 05, 19:33:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Archie was the best ever.  He should have a spin off.

His current spin-off is "Marco!  You don't need to be doing things outside after dark!  Muahahahahahahahahaaaaa!"  *scare* *scare* *scare* *scare*  "Had enough, eh?  See you tomorrow!"

And I cannot be mad at him, not gonna lie.

MadameUgly
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 December 11, 22:16:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*flicks away a tear*

My gawd, Stevie is so wonderful.  Even before I read the line about his Ottomas lineage, I KNEW.  The Ottomas Ugly is very strong, bless it.

Want decent sim stories?  Go forth and read: http://madame-ugly.livejournal.com/
DrNerd
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 December 12, 19:39:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And some day, that face will be doing the Maxed Nice Creepy Smile.  Just like two of his three brothers.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 December 13, 02:09:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

MEAN faces are so much better than nice faces. Just look at La Butt's avatar.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
DrNerd
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 December 13, 04:24:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

MEAN faces are so much better than nice faces. Just look at La Butt's avatar.
Your wish is my command.

First, Helen, or proof of why extracting and gender-swapping Loki Beaker and playing her to Elder is an AWESOME idea.

Necrotizing fasciitis is all the rage in Paris this year.

Helen's son Morocco, with the sadly apropos nickname "Rocky."

He does, in fact, have eyeballs.  Trust me.

The Little Bastard!

"Monkeyboy" Xander!

Fair and the Uglacy Boys!

Safe to say I have had my fair share of sour expressions.

haifen
Crapsack
Retarded Reprobate

#hashtag

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 December 13, 09:56:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OMG kudos on that one - I nearly died laughing during the middle of a coughing fit just now. BRAVA!

16:29   spockers   I fucking hate going to see movies in theaters now.
16:30   spockers   Unless it's a really fancy old-style movie palace type place, but even then some dick will pull out their Appleberry in the middle of the film and start tweeting about wanting Chris Brown to beat them up
DrNerd
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 December 13, 20:01:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

He was a sad panda for a while, but he was also a Family Sim, so there was a certain amount of YAY BAYBEEZ!!1! involved once the initial trauma had passed.

nocomment
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 December 15, 06:02:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for sharing those pictures.  Rocky makes me think of a muppet, a mean muppet, obviously.
DrNerd
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 December 15, 06:54:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for sharing those pictures.  Rocky makes me think of a muppet, a mean muppet, obviously.

He only has one Nice point, but he is actually pretty mellow.  Mostly, he just makes the obligatory "mean Sim grouchyfaces when having a conversation."  Unlike his nephew Archie, he never just randomly went off on anyone.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: