More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 13:57:06

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  a bit of patch help for newbs on mac
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: a bit of patch help for newbs on mac  (Read 4322 times)
cloudpopper
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
a bit of patch help for newbs on mac
« on: 2009 November 30, 21:40:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hope this isn't the 50th thread on this topic, but I searched and found nothing to help me.

I downloaded a patch.  It comes as an .rar file which I open with winrar.
now it reads "...packed.package" I open it with Sims 3
...nothing happens.
I get that window with all my downloads but it's not there.

On windows I know you all put the patch into a certain folder but this isn't possible on a mac.

What am I missing here?

I'm sorry to post this but there aren't very reliable instructions included with the game.
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: a bit of patch help for newbs on mac
« Reply #1 on: 2009 December 01, 16:17:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I find it difficult to believe that you searched and found nothing. There is already a thread discussing OSX and the new patch, only about six lines above this one. Second, had you read said thread you would have seen the direct link to the patch for Mac users, which should end with .tgz, not .package. Make sure you modify the url to fit the version you are updating from. Alternatively, you can use the launcher.

Moral of the story: search before you post. All of your questions are answered in the other thread.

I sing along with elevator music.
pbox
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 December 02, 06:40:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The usual way newbs acquire a patch is to press the shiny "update" button that's dangling in front of them. I think the OP is talking about some random download, not about a patch .. given that patches aren't usually downloaded, they don't come as rar, they're not packages, and you don't put them in a folder either.

(I also have to wonder how they open anything with winrar when winrar does not exist for OS X.)
« Last Edit: 2009 December 02, 06:51:53 by pbox » Logged
nanacake
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 December 02, 07:53:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

(I also have to wonder how they open anything with winrar when winrar does not exist for OS X.)

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/betterzip.html

But it's not called winrar yeah.  Maybe they're running the game with windows installed on a mac, but that would make less sense.  Undecided
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 December 02, 17:10:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My theory is they have two computers - one that they used to download... something... and unpack it with winrar, then put it on a USB dongle or some such and move it to the macintosh.

INFP or something
cloudpopper
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 December 05, 23:33:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the link. I'm not talking about the usual game update patch, these are mods like the nudeskin etc. I don't know how to install them.

It wasn't winrar ftr it was unrarx but whatever. I'm no closer to figuring this out.
bitterquill
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 December 06, 03:40:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not talking about the usual game update patch, these are mods like the nudeskin etc. I don't know how to install them.

This really didn't need its own thread since all the applicable information is readily available if you look around for more than 2.5 seconds. If you're not comfortable using this site's search feature, go to MTS and look in the FAQs.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: