More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 18:42:24

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Tombs do not reset
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Tombs do not reset  (Read 16148 times)
Trickster
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Tombs do not reset
« on: 2009 November 21, 14:15:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some people, though not all, seam to have this problem (without cc).

Tombs are supposed to reset, after each visit, getting a new quest or just switching to another sim.

But they don't in my game.

Does anyone know why?
DentedLemons
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Tombs do not reset
« Reply #1 on: 2009 November 21, 14:21:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not sure what is supposed to happen.. mine are restocked with treasure, but all of the doors are open. This is going back with the same sim, so not sure what happens with a different sim.
Rothchild
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 November 21, 15:19:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I read about that before WA even came out.  Treasure resets when you leave the tomb for a bit, but traps/doors only reset when you leave the country and come back.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 November 21, 15:22:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The idea that treasure RESETS when you leave a tomb is STUPID. THe entire point of tomb-robbing is that it is first-come, first-serve. You cannot simply go back to a tomb you just looted and expect to find more treasure! If they had really wanted to make the gameplay renewable like that, they should have procedurally generated, random tombs. Full of demons. That you hack up with your sword. And stuff.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
CaptaiNemo
Asinine Airhead

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 November 21, 17:48:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mmh.. procedurally generated, random tombs. Full of demons.. *drool*

Considering that the guys who run the tomb restock it when you leave it, I'm surprised they do not charge a per-visit fee. Apparently the impact on tourism alone is enough to justify the giveaway trinkets.
rum nate
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 November 21, 17:55:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I read about that before WA even came out.  Treasure resets when you leave the tomb for a bit, but traps/doors only reset when you leave the country and come back.

That may be what is supposed to happen, but it doesn't. Leaving the country and going back, hidden staircases, hidden doors, doors that require a common keystone, things like that, they don't reset.
notyourbusiness
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 November 21, 19:10:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Someone on MTS said that tombs only reset if you're doing a quest(opportunity).
jefrir
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 November 21, 21:51:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You don't want them to reset, at least not easily - because then if you have to leave half way through, you'd have to go through the whole nonsense again. Resetting with a new person, with a mission, seems about right; it gets the balance between realism, and there being something for future generations to do. After all, in reality there's a lot more to the world than four towns, so you're not going to run out of places to visit.
mildlydisguised
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 November 21, 22:17:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have only been travelling to one area with the same sim and have noticed that none of the tombs have reset, although as has been mentioned, the treasure does regenerate.  I can only assume that tombs reset when you travel to that area with a different sim.
Zarifeke
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 November 21, 23:08:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unfortunately that is NOT the case. I just tested switching households to another sim and sending them to a previously explored tomb. The black fog that covers up a room before you explore it IS reset, but everything is still solved. Statues I pushed with the other sim are still pushed, doors are still unlocked, etc.

Also, having the different sim grab the quest associated with a tomb that's been explored, does not reset anything either. This new sim was able to go straight through the previously solved tomb and grab the quest item with no effort whatsoever.

As far as I can tell, the only ways to reset a tomb is:
A) Make a new game, where everything is reset to normal of course.
B) Go to a new game, save the lot of the fresh tomb you want to replay, and plop it down in your other save. However, no quests will be able to see its existence.
C) Manually go into the tomb and change everything back to how it starts out. This would be the definition of tedium!

Also, it seems if you delete one of the original tomb lots, it will break any quest associated with it. I was testing with deleting a completed tomb, replacing it with a fresh copy, and then taking the quest associated with it. The quest doesn't even acknowledge the existence of the copied tomb lot.

Unless this is somehow a bug and gets patched out/changed, but I really doubt it. Any actions taken in a tomb seem to change the entire lot, even if you have your sim go back home, and then edit the tomb while no one is there. Every switch is still triggered and every statue is still moved.

If you really want to replay a tomb, the only thing I can see is to copy the unplayed tomb from a new save, plop it down somewhere, and just play it from there and skip the quests. And if need be, go and change any of the quest-specific keystone locks to a normal lock.

Edit: And honestly, I would much rather the tombs reset once you go home and come back, even if it means you have to start a tomb over that you were in the middle of. Because as it is, only one sim can explore a tomb and solve its puzzles for that save. Ever.
Trickster
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 November 21, 23:58:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Edit: And honestly, I would much rather the tombs reset once you go home and come back, even if it means you have to start a tomb over that you were in the middle of. Because as it is, only one sim can explore a tomb and solve its puzzles for that save. Ever.

*Sign*

The idea that treasure RESETS when you leave a tomb is STUPID. THe entire point of tomb-robbing is that it is first-come, first-serve. You cannot simply go back to a tomb you just looted and expect to find more treasure! If they had really wanted to make the gameplay renewable like that, they should have procedurally generated, random tombs. Full of demons. That you hack up with your sword. And stuff.

Yeah, tombs not resetting is certainly more realistic, but it would really hinder gameplay that goes beyond one generation of sims (meaning one really adventurous Sim).
This is not the kind of realism I'm looking for in a game like that.

Would there even be a possibility to reset lots like that?

Manually or not. Even having to reset them manually would be allright.
Zarifeke
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 November 22, 00:16:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Only way I could see to be able to manually reset a lot with the push of a button for example, would be if there is some way to take the data of the unexplored lot from wherever it is stored (obviously somewhere as the tomb lots are new and reset whenever you make a new game), and replace the explored lot with that data. I have NO idea if that's even possible.

And that may still break the quests, I don't know.

The other way to "manually" reset a tomb, would be to go into it and use the tomb building debug stuff to edit every single thing back to how it starts out as, using an unexplored copy as a comparison of course. This seems the least likely to break the quests, as the original lot is still there, you're just editting it back to how it normally is. Again I could be wrong, because as far as I can see the adventures/quests are off in their own little world that would require modding/coding to mess with.

All you would have to do is learn how to build tombs, which honestly isn't all that hard once you figure out what all the options do. But at that point, you might as well just make your own tombs!

At this point I'm tempted to make a basic guide, because with there being an object with logic gate capability in the debug section of the buy mode, I can see people making awesome stuff.

KawaiiMiyo
Dollaboo
Dimwitted Dunce

INFP! ^_^

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 November 24, 08:06:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

o.O But then it wouldnt be the sims? 

Im actually okay with treasure resetting. I mean arent what those treasure chests spawning random? (At least I thought they were. Correct me if I'm wrong) I mean, isnt there a chance of your sims going in and finding a ton of fossilized watermelon instead of some ancient vase? it'd kinda suck to go through everything, not find anything good, just to realize "Oh crap this is it. guess I'll just have to "Buy" a vase " but that takes away half the fun. Even if I'm wrong and the items stay the same and they arent randomized. arent the values at least random? So long as the treasures reset, then you wont run out of things to do , you can at least try to go back for "Bigger and better"
     I only want the traps to respawn. Its no fun "exploring" when you just waltz in to a cave, and go straight to the treasure, time and time again. 

Demons? bah =p  Just throw in more traps, and make them deadlier.  Pfft, when my sim walks into a hidden fire trap, she shouldnt just shake herself off, disarm the thing and move on. She was just set on fire! I want a small chance of her turning into a pile of ashes! Give me suspense! and those steam traps? <.< Yeah, similar to a sprinkler... next time i'll have her take her swimsuit. 
     And not to mention those wall switches... When my sim takes her hand out to shake off 100 ancient bugs and beetles. Thats not natural! She shouldnt shake em off just like a fly or a ladybug. These are not little harmless modern bugs, these should be deadly fierce and poisonous! MOAR DANGER!

I admit, I've turned sadist. I was thrilled seeing WA was filled with fire traps and hidden switches, suspense, danger and risk! thats what I want. Heck, if my sim can come back from exploring the "Catacombs" looking like she's just come back from hell, singed from head-to-toe. I should at least be able to expect the same from a deadly firetrap in an ancient tomb right?

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. ~Ayn Rand
ameekabramble
Asinine Airhead

Doing a REAL favor for Mankind

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 November 25, 18:25:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Really, I agree,  there should be at least some chance they would die from a trap.
I ran into a hidden electrical trap that did singe my sim from head to toe, much like the catacombs. But he didn't die.
I wish the tombs would reset at least for a different sim from the same town.
And Sims 3 + Swords + Demons would be definitely more awesome. The ultimate in gaming fun. *dreams*

I ran into my first mummy, and he was cool looking, but not as aggressive as I had hoped either. He actually cursed my sim, and then on the way back to town my game crashed before I thought to save it.... *sigh*
Narmy
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 November 25, 20:08:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*Sign*
Agreed. There should be some challenge to make money, besides raiding a fully completed tomb that magically reset all it's treasure.
CaptaiNemo
Asinine Airhead

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 November 25, 22:19:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One might get the idea that not all EPs are fully thought through and their feature lists somewhat dictated by the marketing department.
Just a thought.
KawaiiMiyo
Dollaboo
Dimwitted Dunce

INFP! ^_^

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 November 25, 23:30:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I ran into my first mummy, and he was cool looking, but not as aggressive as I had hoped either. He actually cursed my sim, and then on the way back to town my game crashed before I thought to save it.... *sigh*

Well, consider yourself lucky, I **tried** to get my sim cursed! <.< But China was my first destination, so after learning martial arts, by the time my sim was done with it, all that was left was a pile of ash.
     However even before this happened, when I first noticed the mummy pop out of the sarcophagus, I was really expecting it to come after my sim! I got a quick 10 seconds worth of adrenaline rush, thinking "Wow, a mummy! And I have* to get passed him!" but then since I wanted to see my sim go through *some* suffering, I decided to take it slow, walk a few steps, stop, walk a few more steps until I got across. The mummy just wandered around stupidly, completely ignoring my sim! On my way back,  I stood in the middle of the room, again the mummy just ignored me. It wasnt until I decided to stand next to him and try to loot his sarcophagus that he finally decided to notice me.

And the electricity thing, yes, my sim went through that for the first time last night, and I was delighted!!! (I really am turning into a sadist now)  But it didnt last very long, for the next dungeon I went into, I had to "attempt to cross" some of those poison darts. I failed, saw my sim fall flat on the floor, and just when I was thinking something horrible had happened to her. I noticed the Zzzs... my sim was sound asleep *on top* of the flying darts! They kept going through her and she was happily dreaming! I hit the fast forward button, for a few seconds, and she was awake in no time. Wow, what a waste of potential!

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. ~Ayn Rand
id
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 November 30, 21:15:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh soooo weird.  I tried, purely on a lark, to save the celtic tomb from a neighborhood from which I had not gone on vacation.  In theory that should give me a virgin tomb, right?  Bulldozed one in a neighborhood where I had already solved the Celtic Tomb and plopped my supposedly virgin copy on the empty lot.  Went on vacation again, cheated myself the Celtic Tomb quest, worked fine, the lady called me, I reported in, she sent me to the tomb I go there and ..... WTF?  the tomb is completely solved!  Replacing it didn't do anything whatsoever???
Skadi
Mushroom Girl
Senator

Spiderkiller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2009 December 01, 09:44:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

With mine, they reset for treasure, but all the hidden doors are still open. It sort of seemed right, that once you find a hidden door and open it, it doesn't just go back, it wouldn't in the real world.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 December 01, 10:18:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To be fair, in the real world, treasure stays looted too. But then, would hidden doors and secret statues to push REALLY be secret after you've already found them once, anyway? Meh. I suspect if you want more gameplay out of it, you need to download third-party temples of DOOM, explore them, loot them, demolish them, and replace them with a new one. Also, get back to work, Mushroom. The Mitten needs a new adventuring outfit!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Tomkat
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 December 01, 11:08:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This could also be old news, but for me the easiest way to fix this was to delete the egypt/china (whatever) files from your saved game folders in My Documents/EA...-> (Maybe someone can put the full path here, Im not at at my PC. Meh.). I think there are 2 of them (the files)?

They regenerate as soon as you revisit said location, complete with the flyover etc.
Handy for having a sim visit virgin territory.

Im not sure how this affects active quests though. I havent tried that yet.

But dont blame me if this breaks your game, its only a suggestion.
id
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 December 01, 11:22:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This could also be old news, but for me the easiest way to fix this was to delete the egypt/china (whatever) files from your saved game folders in My Documents/EA...-> (Maybe someone can put the full path here, Im not at at my PC. Meh.). I think there are 2 of them (the files)?

They regenerate as soon as you revisit said location, complete with the flyover etc.
Handy for having a sim visit virgin territory.

Im not sure how this affects active quests though. I havent tried that yet.

But dont blame me if this breaks your game, its only a suggestion.

Yea well, but unfortunately that means I also loose my nice new vacation home. 
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009 December 01, 11:28:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, it seems if you delete one of the original tomb lots, it will break any quest associated with it. I was testing with deleting a completed tomb, replacing it with a fresh copy, and then taking the quest associated with it. The quest doesn't even acknowledge the existence of the copied tomb lot.
Well, that plan is a wash then. What does the quest say instead?

SonnetCeles
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 December 30, 08:09:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Close to necromancy, so apologies if interest has waned.

This was once an intended feature of WA but is now "working as intended" according to SimGuruLilly.

Relevant post here (scroll down): http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/15/129766.page
Thread discussing this here: http://www.the-isz.com/theisz/index.php?showtopic=3927&st=0

The ire of the player base is actually founded as EA has mentioned previously in transcript that dungeons would reset.  Also with an XML hack to allow adventures, I literally walk into only the last room and bam.  The "tomb fully explored" achievement is fulfilled. They are definitely not capable of implementing dungeon save states let alone programming random dungeons.    This is especially evident when a SimGuru encourages the player base to build their own tombs with tools that are buggy and incomplete.
VegaBlack
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009 December 30, 10:39:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't tried this yet, but isn't there a way to save comm lots as tombs? Perhaps just plopping a copy of a tomb isn't enough, but if you save it as one, the opportunities might recognize it as one? Just a thought.

Edit: Just thought of something else. All the EA tombs/lots seemed to be locked using the lock cheat. Perhaps copying them and setting them down again unlocks them? I'm just throwing stuff out because I can't really play right now, but I remember messing with the lock cheat and different ways to save lots before.
« Last Edit: 2009 December 30, 11:59:17 by VegaBlack » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: