More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 00:18:12

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  OS X: Patch 1.7.11 is out, and seems to be .. actually working!? o.O
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: OS X: Patch 1.7.11 is out, and seems to be .. actually working!? o.O  (Read 6186 times)
pbox
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
OS X: Patch 1.7.11 is out, and seems to be .. actually working!? o.O
« on: 2009 November 26, 11:11:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just to let other OS X users know: the 1.7 patch is now available for OS X too. This is a prerequisite for direct download users who want to install WA, and (possibly) nice to have for the rest of us.

Official blurb: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/131447.page

Direct download of the version I used (note that I upgraded from 1.2.7, which is probably not very common - I guess you can modify the URL with whatever version/language you have): http://llnet.thesims.cdn.ea.com/sims/u/f/sims3/mac/To-3043-1.7.11.002002-From-2706-1.2.7.00002.tgz

Worth noting, perhaps: clicky-pointy "Upgrade" via the Launcher did not work for me ("failed to launch task: launch path not accessible" - might be either the usual Launcher crap or my paranoid network settings?). I didn't investigate, since the direct DL downloaded and installed without a hitch.

I've noticed a bit of a weird performance change - I didn't playtest much, just tested out build mode: on one hand, the graphics are more shiny now (some graphics features had been missing in 1.2.7/OS X - raytracing shadows, antialiasing and such, so now I have all of those (yay)), and there is a bit of lag when zooming around, which I kind of expected - on the other hand, my machine runs several °C cooler now and the fans are running much less at the same time. This might be a good thing, on the other hand it might mean that 1.7.11 somehow isn't using the full potential of this machine. I dunno, it seems strange. In 1.2.7, my fans were permanently going full speed. Maybe 1.2.7 was more crap than I realised.

This is an Intel MBP with 2.4GHz dual core, 4GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT, OS X 10.5.7. I don't have WA.
« Last Edit: 2009 November 26, 11:22:37 by pbox » Logged
Krib
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: OS X: Patch 1.7.11 is out, and seems to be .. actually working!? o.O
« Reply #1 on: 2009 November 26, 17:12:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have the same machine, and abandoned running TS3 in OSX for running it in Boot Camp because performance on the mac side was so bad. You're tempting me to drop it back into OSX!

I'm very interested to hear what your experience is if you get WA.
pbox
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 November 27, 02:40:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you already have it set up in BootCamp, I wouldn't go back to OS X if I were you - it's just not really supported by EA. Cf the fact that the world builder tool is going to be Windows-only, patches are delayed, graphics features implemented months later etc pp .. the OS X version is obviously a byproduct, nothing more.

I'm not going to get WA (not much into kiddie adventure games), so you need to ask somebody else =).
Krib
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 November 27, 03:11:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh. World builder Windows-only? Yeah, that makes it easy. I guess I could virtualize it, but considering all the problems I'm having right now with TS3 on Windows... why multiply them. One crappily running install of the game is good for me.
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 November 30, 06:04:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have just updated the macbook to 1.7. The graphics are noticeably better, which is nice. My game has not yet crashed and burned, though I haven't had much time for play testing. Does not appear that EAxis fixed the random borkedness of CC hair, which is sad but not unexpected. Hopefully I will have the chance to test this patch out further the next few days.

ETA: I forgot to mention that the launcher does seem to be working now, so using the "check for updates" button should patch the game.

I sing along with elevator music.
sanscript
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 December 07, 19:18:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is downloading the patch this way any less likely to make my game unplayable than downloading 1.7.9 from the launcher? Because I've tried that route a few times now and it has not been pretty. I've lost all saved data at this point; I'm just trying to get a playable version of the game, even if it's without all mods and other cc.
pbox
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 December 08, 05:17:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is no 1.7.9 for OS X.

The direct download is the exact same file that the Launcher would download when you click "update". That's how I know the URL.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: