More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 20:54:40

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Problem With Save Games and the New Patch
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Problem With Save Games and the New Patch  (Read 7732 times)
Klondike
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Problem With Save Games and the New Patch
« on: 2009 November 17, 17:42:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For some reason, when I tried to download the new patch the launcher would go into this continual loop of not patching, so I saved my .backup files and reinstalled the game, thinking everything would be fine. The game patched to 1.6.6 successfully, and all my custom content worked as well, minus some NRAAS and AwesomeMod. However, it turns out the new save files with this patch are in a different format, meaning that all the .backups I have are virtually useless because I didn't try to put them back into the game until after I patched. Is there some way to convert the .backup files to a working format with the new patch? Or for that matter, is there any fix that doesn't require reinstalling the game again?
brownlustgirl
Knuckleheaded Knob

Giving EA the finger!

View Profile
Re: Problem With Save Games and the New Patch
« Reply #1 on: 2009 November 17, 18:17:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some work arounds that are used by sheeple simmers on the BBS is save the game using "save as".  Also reading around the BBS and MTS, the games are saved using .legacy on the ending. I cannot confirm this cause I haven't installed the patch yet.  The official site must be overrun, cause the forums are down also.

"So you have to be hungry to eat, right? Hmph, imagine that concept."  Kirstie Alley
Druscylla
Corpulent Cretin

Wicked Stepsister

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 November 17, 22:37:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried to get into the BBS to see what was said and it appears to have imploded. I have heard the saving bug is happening to people who patch but do not have World Adventures. I installed it but haven't tried playing it because after I installed I saw on Snooty Sims that people who bought WA after patching were forced to download the patch again anyhow, and I am getting WA tonight. The patch fixes and adds a lot of things, and it sucks on toast that this one is having so many problems or is trying to make us get the EP.
Klondike
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 November 17, 23:39:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The problem isn't with saving new games- That's working just fine. It's the .backups I have that won't work with the game now.
bigbirdzac
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 November 18, 00:06:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yupp. Even with WA installed, the error pops up.

Just do the 'Save As...' trick. No error when re-compiling the save. Mind you, it's slower, but it works.
Klondike
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 November 18, 00:12:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's not what I mean. I have .sim3.backup files, which I put into the saves folder. When I start up the game, the menu icon on the bottom for the saved game is grayed out, saying "It may have been loaded with an expansion pack that is no longer present on this system". I can't even play the game with the files, let alone Save As.
BattyCoda
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 November 18, 17:56:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Try removing the file extension from the backup file and then starting the game.
brownlustgirl
Knuckleheaded Knob

Giving EA the finger!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 November 18, 21:54:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Got my game to save without errors and using "save as". After researching more on the net, got my answer from the official site forums.  The problem with saving the folders that are named .sims3 or .sims3.backup, when you start a hood for the first time with the patch 1.66 or WA, it will make a .sims3.folder, but keep the .sims3.backup file. Keeping the file there will hamper the game from making a .sims3.backup folder.  Delete the file named .sim3.backup and run the game again to make the backup folder. You should be able to run the game and use save as you play.

References to this thread at the official site:  http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/126235.page.

"So you have to be hungry to eat, right? Hmph, imagine that concept."  Kirstie Alley
kazebird
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 November 18, 23:11:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can verify that this does work. Just tried it myself, and it not only saved fine, but just as you described there is a new backup folder. Thank you.

"Of course I'm alright! But supposing I wasn't alright! I mean, this thing makes me feel in such a way that I'd be very worried if I felt like that about somebody else feeling like this about that. Do you understand?"
brownlustgirl
Knuckleheaded Knob

Giving EA the finger!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 November 18, 23:48:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The sad thing about it, EA programmers (I guess) made a new format for saving, but didn't code to take out the old format of files name.sims3.backup. Or at least give instructions to do this. Nooo, it took someone on the BBS to figure it out and post it so dumb me can read and pass it along.

EA is such a sad, sad excuse for professionalism.

daistarr
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 November 19, 21:25:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is why I no longer have access to skill books to buy or iwhy the bookcases and my inventory thingy have no skill books either? Or that I can stock the pond with fish til the cows come home but I can't click to fish the pond? I will get rid of these files and see if all goes back to normal. I really hate reloading everything again.
GnatGoSplat
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 November 19, 21:57:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The sad thing about it, EA programmers (I guess) made a new format for saving, but didn't code to take out the old format of files name.sims3.backup. Or at least give instructions to do this. Nooo, it took someone on the BBS to figure it out and post it so dumb me can read and pass it along.

EA is such a sad, sad excuse for professionalism.

I can understand the programmers missing this, but you'd think there'd be a QA team that would test the patches on various versions first.  It seems like nobody at EA even plays the game to make sure everything works properly.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: