More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 01:08:25

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  What exactly is the awesome story driver?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: What exactly is the awesome story driver?  (Read 38499 times)
Ennis
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
What exactly is the awesome story driver?
« on: 2009 November 13, 19:46:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't really understand the concept of "story drivers," like Indie Stone, I just know that things are... well, different.

I really want to try this "awesome story driver" but I don't even know what it is. I try looking for it in all the awesomemod places (the wiki, rtfm, config, etc) but I don't have any extra details. What does this do? What does this story driver have in store? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but I wanted to try a different "story driver," but since I have 1.3 I can't use Indie Stone. Can anyone point me to somewhere or tell me what the story driver has, since I can't seem to find it myself? >.<

Oh and while I'm on the subject, I finally got awesomemod working yeey, thank god I needed this mod like air. fucking neighborhood spawning babies
Czezechael
Blathering Buffoon

in my mouf...

View Profile
Re: What exactly is the awesome story driver?
« Reply #1 on: 2009 November 13, 19:52:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The story driver is automatically included with AwesomeMod, it is used automatically with the proper configuration, and this is laid out rather obvious-like with the config tool provided in the mod's topic.

As far as what it does, I'm not entirely sure and I haven't bothered checking, but I'd guess it's more Awesome™ than anything EAxis had to offer.
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 November 13, 21:27:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A "story driver" controls the sims you're not playing when you're not looking at them to ensure that the town grows and changes around you. The EA story driver makes no sense, so the Awesome one applies different rules - less random people who just met yesterday marrying, having three babies, then splitting up and leaving the town for no apparent reason. IndyStone also has its own rules.

INFP or something
nanacake
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 November 16, 12:45:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Additionally, Awesomemod's config tool allows you to define which story progression method you want to use. To choose if you want to use EA's progression (with additional options), AwesomeStory, or IndieStone's Story Driver (No longer maintained, not supported here). It is also possible to configure to have no progression at all.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 November 16, 22:23:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ISM support will probably be deprecated in the WA-version of AwesomeMod and no longer supported, as ISM is an abandoned project.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Tangie
Exasperating Eyesore

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 November 16, 22:51:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Will it include support for Twallan's SP mod, which was based on IS? Currently using the IS option in the config works with Twallan's Story Mod. I'm not currently using that mod, but I'm curious if it would be possible for those who do use it to also use AM for the other features.
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 November 17, 00:52:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ISM is an abandoned project.

I am surprised that people still use IS because of this.  Especially as there is probably a very strong chance that it won't be compatible with the EP, which according to my local EB games store is due out this week.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 November 17, 01:11:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Will it include support for Twallan's SP mod, which was based on IS? Currently using the IS option in the config works with Twallan's Story Mod. I'm not currently using that mod, but I'm curious if it would be possible for those who do use it to also use AM for the other features.
Twallanian story is an external non-core module and requires no additional support. However, attempting to use it in combination with, say, AwesomeStory, if both can be enabled at once, may result in a BFBVFS. Don't do that.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Simulate
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 November 20, 17:22:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To quote Twallan over at Crazy Town:

1.  This mod is a non-core story progression replacement. The EA story progression will be disabled by this mod, and a new, hopefully better, system is started in its place.

2.  The mod adds a new menu called "Story Progression" to all computers in town. If you wish to use the progression, you must enable the "Enable Progression" option under "General Options".

3.  This mod will conflict with any other story progression mod, namely Indie Stone and Awesome Story Mode. If you are using Awesome, ensure that the Awesome Story Mode is disabled.

It is compatible with the latest patch. Prior to the patch, I used both Awesome (story mode disabled) and the Story Progression mod together.

J. M. Pescado: "Closing this one as an ID: 10T error."
monkeydave
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 November 22, 18:51:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Could AwesomeStory ever be made into a stand-alone xml hack? Or is it too much ingrained into the core mod?
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 November 22, 23:04:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Could AwesomeStory ever be made into a stand-alone xml hack? Or is it too much ingrained into the core mod?

No, no one could write a stand-alone xml story progression hack.  That would be impossible.  In order to write a story progression mod, you need to do script programming.

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
Chocolate Milk
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 November 22, 23:11:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ISM is an abandoned project.

I am surprised that people still use IS because of this.  Especially as there is probably a very strong chance that it won't be compatible with the EP, which according to my local EB games store is due out this week.

I can't speak for everyone, but I kept IS up until this week because I knew it worked, and because I'm lazy when it comes to computer games. But I would definitely recommend switching to AM storymode or Twallan's mod now.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 November 24, 00:51:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, no one could write a stand-alone xml story progression hack.  That would be impossible.  In order to write a story progression mod, you need to do script programming.
Well, you COULD, if your idea of a story progression hack is simply to tamper with the tunings of the EA story mode, altering the weights and triggers of the existing EAxis story events. It would ultimately be limited to the fail on which you are building off of, though.

Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 November 24, 00:57:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, you COULD, if your idea of a story progression hack is simply to tamper with the tunings of the EA story mode, altering the weights and triggers of the existing EAxis story events. It would ultimately be limited to the fail on which you are building off of, though.

Sure, but who's silly enough to use that definition?

Tangie
Exasperating Eyesore

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 November 24, 01:01:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Twallanian story is an external non-core module and requires no additional support. However, attempting to use it in combination with, say, AwesomeStory, if both can be enabled at once, may result in a BFBVFS. Don't do that.

I understand that the two can't be used together. I was just wondering if it was still going to be possible to use the Awesome core mod but with another non-core story progression mod. Not that I'm personally planning to do this, mind you, but I just wondered if that would still be an option going forward.
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 November 24, 01:51:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I understand that the two can't be used together. I was just wondering if it was still going to be possible to use the Awesome core mod but with another non-core story progression mod. Not that I'm personally planning to do this, mind you, but I just wondered if that would still be an option going forward.

If you turn AM story mode off in the config, there shouldn't be any reason why you can't use another non-core story driver such as twallan's version, which many people were using with AM previously as it was based on the now defunct IS.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 November 24, 22:00:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there any difference in what happens if the EAxis story mode is left on or turned off while running AM Storymode?

Tribulatio proxima est
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 November 24, 22:37:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there any difference in what happens if the EAxis story mode is left on or turned off while running AM Storymode?

If EAxis story mode is turned off in the game, then no story progression will be run; therefore, the AM storymode will not be run.

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 November 25, 04:17:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If EAxis story mode is turned off in the game, then no story progression will be run; therefore, the AM storymode will not be run.

Well, that would confirm my preliminary assessment that none of my other sims are growing older or dying while EAxis story mode is off, I suppose.

Tribulatio proxima est
snowbawl
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 November 25, 04:21:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, that would confirm my preliminary assessment that none of my other sims are growing older or dying while EAxis story mode is off, I suppose.

Don't feel bad.  I did it, too, when switching from Indie to Awesome, long, long ago.  I had disabled story progression in the game options to eliminate EA asshattery from the very beginning.  IndieStone would override this setting.  Did not occur to me to change it back until I was in my new AwesomeStory hood, scratching my head because NOTHING was happening.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 November 25, 23:08:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't feel bad.  I did it, too, when switching from Indie to Awesome, long, long ago.  I had disabled story progression in the game options to eliminate EA asshattery from the very beginning.  IndieStone would override this setting.  Did not occur to me to change it back until I was in my new AwesomeStory hood, scratching my head because NOTHING was happening.

Yeah, here's me grooming a couple of 6s to be best friends with my two playable kids, and now the playables have levelled up to 12s, leaving their little "6" friends behind.  No bf/gf fodder there now.  Have to start all over.  Very annoying, but my own fault.

Tribulatio proxima est
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 November 26, 02:12:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Story Progression does not affect aging. Aging is a seperate issue that can be turned on or off, or set to TS2 mode (only active fambly ages). In your case, you probably levelled up first, and you just have to wait a bit for the NPCs to become 12. They may already have done so, but have not updated their portraits because you didn't summon them.

ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

Just another shitty day in paradise

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009 November 26, 14:12:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@jolrei

Are you playing with TS2 style aging on?  Only the active household will age if you do.  I was getting disappointed that none of the other households in town were aging, also, so I switched that off and started using Buzzler's Aging Manager (found in the TS3 Pudding Facory) to manage the aging of my playable households.

Werewolf?<br />There! There wolf!  There castle!
Keyan
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 November 27, 01:52:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Please don't destroy me... I'm new at this... How do I activate the Awesome story driver to stop the 1 am crash with the new beta?
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009 November 27, 02:30:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Go here :

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/ts3/awesome/config.php

It's called AwesomeMod Configuration For Dummies!

If the shoe fits .... lol

Once done click on the big scary dinosaur
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: