More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 06:11:11

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  No CD check not working
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: No CD check not working  (Read 14458 times)
sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
No CD check not working
« on: 2009 November 10, 22:10:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, I tried to install AwesomeMod with the no-cd option before and couldn't get it to work so I just quietly gave up. Well now I want it again because of all the cd swapping my son is starting to do. I tried using helpermonkey and I tried using the framework. I moved the file around into different folders. Nope. Other parts of the mod will work. I have my shortcut set to the exe. What happens is the game loads, and then instead of letting me select a neighborhood, I get an error that no cd is found and "retry" or "cancel".

If this has been addressed, I can't seem to find it searching for disk or cd. One of the reasons I gave up in the past was I figured it was something that would be sorted out with time, but apparently it's just me with the issue.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Crysill
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: No CD check not working
« Reply #1 on: 2009 November 11, 00:26:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

AwesomeMod with the no-cd option
Just to be sure: The default option for that AwesomeMod field disables the no-CD check; changing the configuration field for that to "Disabled" would, in fact, re-enable the check. You say that the other features of AwesomeMod work, and the way you worded that sentence makes me think you might have changed an option in an attempt to 'disable' it. Otherwise, I've got no ideas. Sorry.
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 November 11, 01:13:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, I tried to install AwesomeMod with the no-cd option before and couldn't get it to work so I just quietly gave up. Well now I want it again because of all the cd swapping my son is starting to do. I tried using helpermonkey and I tried using the framework. I moved the file around into different folders. Nope. Other parts of the mod will work. I have my shortcut set to the exe. What happens is the game loads, and then instead of letting me select a neighborhood, I get an error that no cd is found and "retry" or "cancel".

If this has been addressed, I can't seem to find it searching for disk or cd. One of the reasons I gave up in the past was I figured it was something that would be sorted out with time, but apparently it's just me with the issue.

You have to make sure the "No CD" check option is enabled correctly in the configuration file, which you can create via a link on the same page as the AwesomeMod download.  Do you have both the AwesomeMod file and the file called Aweconfig?

In the (should be) immortal words of Ron White:  "You can't fix stupid!"
sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 November 11, 02:01:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah I see logic has failed me again. I did think that "disabled" meant that the cd check was disabled. I have the fail.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 November 12, 10:38:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's a very simple convention to all AwesomeMod options: "Enabled" enables a behavior that differs from the default. "Disabled" turns off an optional change. Since NoCD is not the default behavior, the option to "Enable" NoCD thus alters the behavior, and Disabling it returns the system to default behavior.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
sweetbajan
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 November 29, 06:03:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey so my game is not running without the CD and that option is actually "Enabled."

I have never had a problem with it except for when I recently upgraded my game to 1.7.11. Can anyone help or offer any tips for me to make this work?
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 November 29, 06:27:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you trying to launch through the .exe game file or the Sims 3 Launcher?  You need to use the .exe file for the no CD check to work.  If you installed WA and are using the default desktop icon, then it's the launcher, so just create a shortcut to the .exe file, and it should work fine.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
sweetbajan
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 November 29, 07:06:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok a bit confused.. im running a mac and what exactly is the name of the exe file (I have a TS3.exe. file and of course cant open it because I am on the mac) and yes I am running it through the launcher... always have ran it through there  Huh also I did not buy WA, I just upgraded my Sims 3.

thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: 2009 November 29, 07:15:02 by sweetbajan » Logged
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 November 29, 08:04:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The launcher has its own check. You should not use the launcher, it is stupid and it sucks. There are directions for launcher-avoidance for Macs somewhere.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 November 29, 08:04:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On a PC it is the TS3.exe, should be the same file.  You should be able to double click it to launch the game, unless Mac's are even weirder than I thought they were.  You just need a shortcut pointing to that file to launch from the desktop.

AM's no CD check only works if you launch the game from the .exe file, if you launch through the TS3 Launcher, AM's no check check won't work like it is meant to.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
sweetbajan
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 November 29, 08:31:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

no it doesnt work like that Sad

I will search the forum for a way to avoid the launcher on the mac.

thanks 4 all your help.
sweetbajan
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 November 29, 08:49:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

figured it out for anyone who is having problems...

* find the executable itself - probably in /(your hard drive)/Applications/The Sims 3.
    * Right click on it, and select "show package contents".
    * Open the "contents" directory if it isn't already.
    * You will see a file named info.plist. Open that by dragging it onto textedit. Don't move it out of that directory! You might want to take a backup first.
    * Scroll down to the line after this one:
      <key>CedegaGameName</key>
    * Change the last part to read TS3.exe instead of S3Launcher.exe. Be careful not to disturb any of the rest of the file or mess with line endings. It's XML and an extra return shouldn't matter ... but you never know.
    * Save and quit textedit.
nanacake
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 November 30, 13:33:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's one way to make sure you never open the launcher, but you could also have found TS3.exe inside of the package contents -cmd click make alias and move that alias shortcut to the desktop replacing the old one.
pbox
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 December 01, 02:47:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

nanacake: the people above you are talking about OS X. OS X thinks .exe is some kind of garbled text file, so doubleclicking on one does nothing useful.

sweetbajan's info is perfectly correct.

That said, I've been running both with and without launcher and the Awesome-NoCD has always worked fine for me. Seems strange that for other OS X users it doesn't .. maybe the patches are making a difference? (I've only ever used 1.0, 1.2.7 and now 1.7.11) Right now I'm using twallan's NoCD with 1.7.11 and the launcher enabled (because I keep being too lazy to dig up that file to re-disable it), and that also works without issue. I believe for both of these NoCDs to work one has to start from cider though, not from app-doubleclicking.
« Last Edit: 2009 December 01, 03:03:17 by pbox » Logged
nanacake
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 December 01, 04:21:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

nanacake: the people above you are talking about OS X. OS X thinks .exe is some kind of garbled text file, so doubleclicking on one does nothing useful.

I know but I thought it would be the same as TS2 was on the mac? All the files usually for applications are inside the package contents, usually if it's just a emulator encased around the same windows installation files. Wish it wasn't that way though if companies stop porting games for mac and actually spend a little bit developing it for OS X they would run better.
vagabondher
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010 December 13, 19:40:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

figured it out for anyone who is having problems...

* find the executable itself - probably in /(your hard drive)/Applications/The Sims 3.
    * Right click on it, and select "show package contents".
    * Open the "contents" directory if it isn't already.
    * You will see a file named info.plist. Open that by dragging it onto textedit. Don't move it out of that directory! You might want to take a backup first.
    * Scroll down to the line after this one:
      <key>CedegaGameName</key>
    * Change the last part to read TS3.exe instead of S3Launcher.exe. Be careful not to disturb any of the rest of the file or mess with line endings. It's XML and an extra return shouldn't matter ... but you never know.
    * Save and quit textedit.

I followed these steps and found that it was already set to "TS3.exe" and yet the launcher still loads for me.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: