More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 08:14:22

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  NVidia screws ups, why updating drivers is a bad idea ...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: NVidia screws ups, why updating drivers is a bad idea ...  (Read 9817 times)
Drakron
Anime Fapper
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
NVidia screws ups, why updating drivers is a bad idea ...
« on: 2009 October 21, 16:38:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am making this note because for some reason about 2 days I decided that maybe I should update my card drivers ...

And then when I started up the game it crashed, it crashed without even showing me the intro movie or anything ... it just crashed at start up.

Then after trying to fix it (meaning re-install DirectX, re-install Media Player, re-install The Sims 3 and re-installing K-Lite) I decided to take a leap of faith and rollback the NVidia drivers.

Now it works.
Morgaine
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: NVidia screws ups, why updating drivers is a bad idea ...
« Reply #1 on: 2009 October 21, 16:55:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had the same problem (NVidia 8600 GT). The newest driver version from NVidia crashes the game, as I learned from a quick research in Google. When I reinstalled the previous version, verything was O.K.
Drakron
Anime Fapper
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 October 21, 16:58:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@Jordi :

190.62 drivers (October 5, 2009 release), GeForce 9600 GT (of course since drivers are entire ranges its going to affect more that just the 9000 family) and The Sims 3 (I did mentioned I re-installed it).
brownlustgirl
Knuckleheaded Knob

Giving EA the finger!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 October 21, 17:07:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I read about it on the um... "Exchange". *nervously looks around*

Then I googled about it and found that several games have been affected by the new drivers. I am one that try to keep up with driver updates cause my graphics seem to act up til I do an update, but so far, no problems with my video card so no updating til they fix it.

"So you have to be hungry to eat, right? Hmph, imagine that concept."  Kirstie Alley
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 October 21, 19:43:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

While updating drivers can be considered a good step in troubleshooting, there's also the factor of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If performance is fine and everything you use WORKS, there's no sense in introducing a strange new driver into the mix. If something new is broken, on the other hand, updating your drivers is probably a good idea.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
tizerist
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 October 21, 21:16:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yesterday I rolled back my 8800 GTX drivers to 160.92 just for TS3 so funny to see this thread.

I suspect that the CAS black-screen glitch may come back now, but if it helps with CTD's i'll take it. I suppose.  Tongue

Will keep updated.
cascaneda
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 October 22, 11:25:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use an old driver too. Just trying to install a driver more recent than 1.78 makes the PC freeze.
Argon
Juvenile Jackass

What Would Brian Kinney Do?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2009 October 23, 05:37:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

190.62 drivers (October 5, 2009 release), GeForce 9600 GT (of course since drivers are entire ranges its going to affect more that just the 9000 family) and The Sims 3 (I did mentioned I re-installed it).

191.07 (WHQL, also October 5th 2009 according to my download list in firefox), GeForce 9500 GT on Vista 64-bit with no such problems.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia Ge-Force GTS 450 1GB, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, WSXGA+ (1680x1050), Windows 7 Pro x64

Laptop: Sony VAIO VPCYB15KX, AMD Dual-Core E-350 1.60 GHz, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6310, WXGA (1366x768), Windows 7 Pro x86
Pythia
Asinine Airhead

Just lurking

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 October 24, 14:54:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh FFS, that's why Sims 3 suddenly stopped working! I hadn't played for a while and when I tried yesterday I was just getting 3 seconds of a black screen and then getting kicked back to my desktop.
I'd jumped on the lasest drivers when they came out because the 190 series drivers were being funky with Fallout 3 and I'd been waiting for those issues to be fixed. So these latest drivers are working perfectly with Fallout but fucking up Sims 3. Typical huh. Will have to decide whether to wait for the next drivers and hope they play nice with both or roll right back to 184 or 187 series drivers.
Well at least finding this out has meant I don't have to reinstall Sims 3, which I was on the verge of doing.
I have a 9800GTX+ and windows xp 32 bit for reference.
ramseyazad
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 October 28, 04:46:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I updated the drivers on my nvidia 9600gt and it killed the sims.  I almost posted on the bug thread but got smart and rolled it back and poof.  Nvidia has fucked up its updates before, no?
Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2009 October 28, 08:24:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My 9600GT is still working for TS3 after upgrading the driver, which I did to resolve an issue with another application. I guess this problem is not universal.

me shit
Wayward Ink now with SMF shiny and no ads
I see the Dome is filled with Lamb Chop conspiracy theories. The only authentic Mirelly sock is "readordead", who will not be posting, for obvious reasons.
Pythia
Asinine Airhead

Just lurking

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 October 31, 14:09:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Beta 195 drivers available now on Nvidia site if anyone needs them. TS3 problem fixed, game will work again.
Clara M Johnson
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 November 15, 15:49:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Beta 195 drivers available now on Nvidia site if anyone needs them. TS3 problem fixed, game will work again.

Yay I was having the same problem, I had just updated to a 9600 from my 8600, and got a new driver.

My game kept crashing, to desktop, and the graphics would go wonky on the whole PC, where I would have to reboot my computer, which meant I would lose everything I had done in the game, because the game was still being shown as being on.

But I couldn't get back in to save, so I had to just reboot.

Then I also heard on the BBS that people was having trouble with their Nvidia drivers, and they had a thing about the Bata one, so I got it played my game all day yesterday, no problems, yet ( Crossing fingers).

DIE SIMS STORE DIE!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: