More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 13:44:50

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  I'm just full of questions these days: number of mesh files in downloads folder
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: I'm just full of questions these days: number of mesh files in downloads folder  (Read 7696 times)
ritaxis
Blathering Buffoon

not nice

View Profile
I'm just full of questions these days: number of mesh files in downloads folder
« on: 2009 October 08, 23:59:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This came up elsewhere.  Someone was claiming two things.  One was that, aside from the total size of the download folder, and aside from the total number of items in the download folder, the number of mesh files (as opposed to recolors, I think, and I do not think the person was considering hacks and fies and mods at all) could be problematic.  --That there was a limit, variable of course between games and computers, beyond which, one more mesh file would cause the game to crash.  Further, she said, the more expansions and stuff packs you had, the fewer mesh files your game could bear.

I think it sounds like superstition, myself.  The first statement sounds confused.  I don't think there's much that is magical about mesh files: I think they just tend to be larger than recolors (and are more likely to have GUID problems and so forth, but I think we're supposed to assume she's not running into those, because she said "no matter what the mesh filke is" that she adds past her magic number).  The second statement, which she claims is "logical," seems like empty speculation.  I'm thinking that the game reads game objects in one package no matter how many expansions you have.  I don't know about stuff packs though, sincwe the only one I have is M&G which behaves more like an expansion.

Summary questions:
1 -- do games crash from just the number of mesh files in the download folder, independent of folder size, file size, and problematic files?
2 -- do games tolerate fewer downloads, particularly mesh files, with more expansions or stiuff packs, independent of compatibility issues?

I'm willing to go be humble if the answer to either of these questions is yes.
Simsample
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: I'm just full of questions these days: number of mesh files in downloads folder
« Reply #1 on: 2009 October 09, 08:19:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've not heard of crashing caused by too much CC, but I have seen a few cases where users are not able to get any new CC to show up, and yet it shows up with no other CC installed. So it seems as though there is some kind of limit- possibly due to the amount of system memory- which I suppose could cause a crash.
DrNerd
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: I'm just full of questions these days: number of mesh files in downloads folder
« Reply #2 on: 2009 October 09, 17:52:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't heard of crashing due to number of mesh files.  I'm running EPs through Seasons, and have a shit-ton of hair and clothing meshes.  My system is a few years old and the game takes a while to load, but it always does.  If you have a lot of high-poly meshes on a lot with a sub-par system, the computer will have trouble rendering the CC and might crash, but that's an artifact of the poly-count of the meshes, not simply having new meshes.

As far as tolerating fewer downloads, look at Mac users--they don't have any EPs past BV, and are missing quite a few of the SPs as well, and I don't know of any Mac users who have limits on the amount of CC they can have.  Like I said, my system's not the greatest, and isn't capable of running FT or AL, and I try to cull my CC periodically just to keep things running quickly.  It's not an issue with the GAME, it's an issue with my 3+ year-old laptop and its graphics card and processor.  There's no issue with earlier games handling fewer downloads; I don't think you can make it independent of compatibility issues, since most people who CAN install more EPs DO, and the people who CAN'T don't have the greatest computers to start with, so there's your problem right there.

GelatinousSubstance
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 October 09, 18:20:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I recall correctly, a bad CC item is more likely to crash your game than the number of CC items. But like the other poster mentioned, RAM limitations may also play a part.

Doctor: "He was lucky... He was shot in the 90% of the brain that he wasn't using..."

There is no shame in not being ashamed.
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 October 09, 20:51:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As far as tolerating fewer downloads, look at Mac users--they don't have any EPs past BV, and are missing quite a few of the SPs as well, and I don't know of any Mac users who have limits on the amount of CC they can have.

You must not know many TS2 players on OS X.  I've had this problem, so I probably pay closer attention when I hear about some other forsaken player who encounters it.  Both MTS2 and TSR have had threads about how to get around the problem.  It's a known issue that the maximum number of files allowed to be open by any application in OS X is set at a system level, and is dependent on your specs.  TS2 likes to open every damned file in your DL folder no matter whether it's being used or not.

As for the OP's question, it seems like a simple matter to test.  Exceed the maximum by one (or 100, it doesn't matter) file.  Remove one (or 100) recolour file(s).  Attempt to load the game again.  Note your results.  Put the recolour file(s) back.  Remove one (or 100) mesh file(s).  Attempt to load the game again.

In OS X, it does not matter whether you remove a recolour or mesh.  The game plays nice as long as you're under the limit.  If you exceed the maximum number of files allowed (either in the DL folder or EPs/SPs), you'll have corruption of your neighbourhood and/or character files.  If you continue to play, you'll soon have game crashes from the corruption.

I can't say whether this would apply in Windows since I have never exceeded the limit in that installation of my game, however I strongly suspect that it's the total number of files that matter, not type.  In fact, I'd go even farther out on a limb and suggest that the total number of files is more important than total size. Shocked
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: I'm just full of questions these days: number of mesh files in downloads fol
« Reply #5 on: 2009 October 11, 09:16:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you exceed the maximum number of files that can be open at once, your game will shit itself. This is a fatal error that will corrupt your entire neighborhood. Don't do this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ritaxis
Blathering Buffoon

not nice

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 October 12, 01:10:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just to clarify before I go talk to the other person: total number of files is an issue, if you exceed the number of files that can be open at once.  But you're not saying that files which have a mesh in them are a separate issue from total files, right?

I neglected to find out whether she thinks that it's the possession of geometric information that makes mesh files different for this purpose, or just the fact that they tend to be larger files.
professorbutters
Humourless Egghead
Lipless Loser

Humourless Priss

View Profile
Re: I'm just full of questions these days: number of mesh files in downloads fol
« Reply #7 on: 2009 October 12, 02:03:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As far as tolerating fewer downloads, look at Mac users--they don't have any EPs past BV, and are missing quite a few of the SPs as well, and I don't know of any Mac users who have limits on the amount of CC they can have. 

Well. . . yes and no.

No, I don't have trouble with the amount of CC I have.  There are a few extremely high-poly items that I've tried which give my game the willies.  Most of them are from SimsDesignAvenue, which makes gorgeous stuff, but some of it is so high poly that I've found it can't be used. I've also had trouble with some stuff by Parsimonious, and I have no idea why.  It's not the usual "Mac owners can't see wall coverings" problem; it's some really freaky stuff with lots.  It may just be coincidence, but after a few times I am too freaked out to try anything new from there.  

What DOES happen is that after a certain number of files, Body Shop starts having trouble:  the mannequin is missing or blanks out.  This can be solved by pulling the non-Body Shop files temporarily.  I don't like doing it, but I keep a folder called "Temp Downlods" and when I need to work with Body Shop, I pull the folders labelled "Buy Mode" "Build Mode" and a few other folders (like "cakes" and "cars.")  Then when I'm done with Body Shop, I put them back.

I also keep a folder labelled "unused cc."  If something is unused for now, but I might want to use it, I stick it in there.  

nocomment
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 October 12, 08:27:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there any estimate or guesstimate about what the maximum number of files is?  I have a lot of downloads, and know of people who have even more.  So I'm assuming it's a very high number.
Simsample
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 October 12, 10:00:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ritaxis, from what I've seen it seems to be the actual number of files- so a mesh would count as a file. However, I have also seen issues with long pathnames- remember that in XP, for example, C:\documents and settings\fred\my documents\A Games\The Sims 2\Downloads is already quite a long path even before you start adding subfolders like "MTS2 Downloads-recolors of maxis items" and adding files with ridiculous names like 'MTS2_1045_DemusedSims_HystericalParoxysm_Very nice recolor of a maxis item_primroseyellow_Aftop" or something. Again, that would more likely cause missing CC in game rather than a crash, but if you have multi-file hacks that are only partially loading then it could potentially cause problems. Incompatible or broken CC would more likely cause crashes, I think.
nocomment, for Mac OSX the default maximum number of files that can be used simultaneously by any one process is around 10,000- so for Sims 2/ Sims 3 that would include any game data files that need to be read as well as userdata. Not sure what the limit is for XP/ Vista/ Win 7; a lot more than that though. I think your game limitations are more likely determined by memory than system limits.
ritaxis
Blathering Buffoon

not nice

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 October 13, 00:02:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So during that load time, the game is opening every single file it owns, whether or not it knows it will need them? (like the obscure item that's only used on definably rare occasions?)
Simsample
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 October 13, 08:16:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not the language support files that you don't need, or the data files for any EPs/ SPs except your last one. But the basegame core files and the latest EP core files, yes. Definitely reading the Downloads/ Saved Sims folder; you can't get the game to read files you add there in during gameplay (unless through the exchange) and if you try to overwrite/ remove files during play they are locked in use. Apparently the hoods are read too to an extent- even before you load them. Files that aren't read in userdata are paintings, custom breeds, things like that.
ritaxis
Blathering Buffoon

not nice

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 October 14, 00:05:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I'm never going to complain about load time again.  That's a lot to read if you keep throwing things at the game like I do.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: