More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 13:55:58

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  questions about memories and what they do
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: questions about memories and what they do  (Read 7421 times)
ritaxis
Blathering Buffoon

not nice

View Profile
questions about memories and what they do
« on: 2009 September 25, 00:44:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do good and bad memories do anything but sit around and look pretty cuteish and dorky?  If a sim gets a positive or negative memory involving another sim, does it affect the way that relationships between them decay or accumulate?  Does it add another dimension to their relationship?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: questions about memories and what they do
« Reply #1 on: 2009 September 25, 00:46:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nope. 99% of memories have zero effect on a sim in any way, out of the box. There are some Undiscovered Shinies that unlocked a few memory-based interactions, but Fat Gwilly People never asked.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Crash
Dimwitted Dunce

INFJ WTF?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 September 25, 14:28:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Fat Gwilly people, I implore you, please ask!

Don't argue with an idiot. He will just drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
ritaxis
Blathering Buffoon

not nice

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 September 26, 00:57:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm fat, but what qualifies as Gwilly?  I'm pretty sure I qualify as people.  I'd love to at least hear about the Undiscovered Shinies that unlock memory-based interactions, even if they aren't going to be around for me to mess with.  And if they're messable with, I think I'd like to mess with them.

I'm so torn.  I know I really don't want my game to attempt to mimic life as she is lived.  And I know the difference between my game and an actual story.  But my game isn't really a game game, where the scores just pile up and you win or don't.  Anyway, I'd love for memories and things to have some consequence to the little pixel monsters.   As it stands, I'm not sure I can rely on them to return accurate counts of makeouts, woohoos, etc., that the nasty little romance sims aspire to.
scandalicious
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 September 28, 19:43:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm curious about the 1%. Would they be painfully obvious, if my brain wasn't functioning like frosted flakes at the moment?
Sunbee
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 September 28, 23:52:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not awesome or anything, but I'd bet that when a sim wants to resurect someone or fears seeing someone as a zombie that the death memory triggers the want.  Likewise I imagine fall-in-love memories and have baby, got engaged, etc have some effect on wants and fears, and the memories of events that help fill up the Freetime perks bar thingy.  Also the first-kiss memory ought to be in that 1% since its lack triggers the pink swirly stuff.

For the rest of you newcomers, if you read enough archived threads, you'll discover that Gwill is a particular forum member.  Archived forum threads: the internet's gift to procrastenators.
scandalicious
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 October 01, 18:41:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not awesome or anything, but I'd bet that when a sim wants to resurect someone or fears seeing someone as a zombie that the death memory triggers the want.  Likewise I imagine fall-in-love memories and have baby, got engaged, etc have some effect on wants and fears, and the memories of events that help fill up the Freetime perks bar thingy.  Also the first-kiss memory ought to be in that 1% since its lack triggers the pink swirly stuff.

Ah, see I'd thought those (the romantic entanglement ones) were based on some sort of flag set within the characters/their relationships.  I didn't consider that the memories would actually be those flags.  Now I'm curious as to whether or not BV mementos function the same way.  So... what happens if you Cast Spell->Tabula Rasa someone?  I've been gunshy what with how Maxis has provided game-breaking options with apparently little forethought on the far-reaching implications.  Or immediate implications, in the case of moving occupied lots.

Then again, I could just run some tests in my testhood.  Since, well, that's what it's there for. Tongue Don't mind me.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 October 01, 19:10:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

THey aren't. The wants are triggered by want trees and not by the memories themselves. Tabula Rasa, therefore, does nothing useful, except destroying what is primarily a player record. And allowing you to get First Kiss and First Woohoo again. Basically, all the AL magic spells are essentially really lame, accomplishing little of real value.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ritaxis
Blathering Buffoon

not nice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 October 02, 03:45:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now I understand that I can not qualify as Gwilly.  Oh well.  So it goes.  But I'm still curious about memories.  You said that there are a small number of memories that do make some difference: can you tell me more about them?  Like what kind of memories they are, and what they cause?  Or is that what undiscovered means in "undiscovered shinies?"
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 October 02, 04:04:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A few memories are checked for in Awesomeware, plus the First Kiss/Woohoo and regular woohoo memories are all used for counting purposes, and erasing them will reset your sim's progress.

rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

More Nonstandard Than You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2009 October 02, 04:09:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it possible to mod Tabula Rasa so that it actually resets all relationships with other sims back to 0/0 and never met?

I was thinking about these things and I am a feminist.

ritaxis
Blathering Buffoon

not nice

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 October 02, 04:50:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, tjhe counting woohoos thing is a bit boring.  What I'd really like is if certain memories would affect relationship accumulation/decay ever after (or until obsoleted by some other memory), and if certain other memories would affect the likelihood of rolling certain wants or fears.  That would be exciting, if the amount they affected things was variable and all you knew for sure was that things would be different now.

Like life, I guess.

Thanks for the explanation.
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 October 07, 13:33:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aw c'mon Pescado.  Stop being coy.  I could try a Fat Gwill impression if you like.  mmmm maybe not.  But throw a bone to those of us still playing TS2 you miserable git.

Inteen for AL, yay!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 October 07, 23:38:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, tjhe counting woohoos thing is a bit boring.  What I'd really like is if certain memories would affect relationship accumulation/decay ever after (or until obsoleted by some other memory), and if certain other memories would affect the likelihood of rolling certain wants or fears.  That would be exciting, if the amount they affected things was variable and all you knew for sure was that things would be different now.
They do if you're using wfsanity, as I made it so certain stupid wants didn't roll up and clog your slots unless your sim had actually had experience with this sort of thing, but this is still a minority usage of them.

ritaxis
Blathering Buffoon

not nice

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 October 08, 01:38:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, if I wanted to study wfsanity and mess around a bit, would it be possible for me to extend it to other wants and fears -- or to other functions, like relationships or skills?

I know nothing about this, but I it says here that learning a new skillset every decade keeps senility at bay.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: