More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 13:52:06

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  75% installation complete?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: 75% installation complete?  (Read 4385 times)
Rosebud
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
75% installation complete?
« on: 2009 September 14, 21:06:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I re-installed The Sims 2 base game and noticed that disc 2 installed in roughly 30 seconds. This didn't seem right to me, but I continued the installation anyway. The other discs took what seemed a more normal amount of time.

At 75% complete the "please wait" banner pops up, the icon is created and the read me, launch or quit menu comes up.

Quit and put disc 1 in allowing it to launch from disc. All goes well. I select Pleasantview, it loads smoothly until I see on every lot "trees of crisscrossed paper" with code instead of actual trees.

Launched the CAS out of morbid curiosity at this point. It loads with not texture on the walls, but more code. I try the create key, crash. ( clean game, no cc ).

I made sure the registry was clear of sims before I tried this. The EA folder was listed on the hard drive, but not in My Documents or in the registry so no keys. I found this more than a little odd too.

My questions:

How do I figure out what files are missing?

Would it be worth attempting to rip said files from the discs?

Any suggestions would be awesome.
Simsample
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: 75% installation complete?
« Reply #1 on: 2009 September 14, 21:28:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Try the Sims 3D and Objects folders from Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res. These contain a lot of the textures and can be found on your install disc in the compressed.zip file. However, that said it's probably best to clean your disc and do a complete fresh install, as any number of the data files may be missing or incomplete.
Austere
Sexist Creep
Banned!

Xion says, "GTFO of my apartment."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 September 14, 21:57:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Uninstall

Try that to help with a clean uninstallation. :] If you didn't get rid of it all the first time, something might have gotten corrupted. Wouldn't hurt to clean out your hard drive, either.

Rosebud
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 September 15, 14:30:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks bunches for the info on which files to look in for the missing textures.

I ended up extracting and manually installing everything from disc 2 as none of it was present in the EA game data. Apparently the install manager for disc 2 is corrupt, missing or just not working.

Upon game launch, all went smoothly, trees and textures were in place, CAS generated a sim and all face/hair/clothing were present.

In-game play test:
Don Lothario successfully cleaned his house ( with much moaning and groaning ) to the stereo. No crash when Nina wandered onto his lot and their relationship "progressed".

BodyShop was the next test and it launched flawlessly.

All in all, I'd say my issues have been cured and my sanity saved.... Now I'm gonna burn the carefully placed files to new discs in the correct install order and use the original disc 2 as a frisbee.

Again, thanks for the suggestion of looking in the compressed file on disc, it was the solution.

Update:

Uni will install with no issues, but NL claims The Sims 2 is not installed properly or not at all. I'm assuming I've placed a file in the wrong place and NL, fickle as it is, is reading it as not there. I'm stumbling in the dark as to the exact locations each component belongs in.  Cry 

« Last Edit: 2009 September 15, 16:25:47 by Rosebud » Logged
Rosebud
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 September 17, 15:37:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't want to seem a pest, but I've tried all the tricks I can think of to make this work. Nothing is working as it should. The TS2 base game stops at 73% forcing me to manually install the rest...( I have no idea exactly where the remaining components belong. ) University will install once I've stumbled through an idea of where the files go, but Night Life insists the base game is not installed properly or not at all. It's been 4 months of fighting with this. I finally got desperate enough to ask for help.

Pretty please, someone tell me where the files components belong from disc 2 of the base game. I'm shooting in the dark here. I've cleaned out the registry, I've done everything I can think of. The only answer I can come up with is a corrupted install manager on disc 2, it does not install, at all. The files are present on the disc, I can extract them, but I apparently have no idea where to put them as Night Life will not recognize it.
Simsample
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 September 17, 16:25:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What I would suggest is a full clean uninstall (make sure all reg entries are removed) and then a full manual install of the basegame. The expansion installer obtains basegame information from the registry too, so it could be that a registry key is missing from your basegame install as well as datafiles.
http://www.simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Install#Copy_Install_Files_to_Your_Hard_Drive
Lerf
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 September 17, 17:19:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, EA really, really means it when they say you should shut down all background tasks.  Found that out the hard way.
Rosebud
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 September 17, 19:40:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for all the help. After a mass search I finally found a method that worked. Here's the link for anyone not quite figuring out how to do it.
http://help.lockergnome.com/general/Sims-Error-message-install--ftopict49413.html

You'll have to scroll about half way down the page and follow the instructions to the letter.

As for background tasks, I have never had issues with that ( maybe a little game lag ), but never installation issues.

The auto run image for disc 2 is not present as it is for all the rest of the discs. This seems to be the reason disc 2 would not install, it had no run menu. This manual installation treated the entire setup as a single massive virtual disc.

Again, thanks for the help, I'm not sure I'd have hunted for specifics in manual installation without it.

As of this moment, I am happily hunting down cc and adding my own creations back to my d/l folder.
Simsample
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 September 17, 20:32:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's the same method on the page I linked you to earlier, in the SimsWiki. There's a link to manual install instructions on the EA site.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: