More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 12:11:23

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  My game won't start?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: My game won't start?  (Read 4290 times)
simsproot
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
My game won't start?
« on: 2009 September 06, 06:12:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have all EPs and the Family Fun and Celebration stuff packs.  Every time my game loads it gets to the Making A Little Bit of Magic part of the AL loading screen and I get a pop-up that says, "The application has crashed.  The application will now terminate."  First, I took out all my CC and tried again.  Same problem.  Then I uninstalled AL and when I tried to reinstall it, my computer wouldn't load the disk. 

Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?
millahnna
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: My game won't start?
« Reply #1 on: 2009 September 06, 12:36:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Out of idle curiosity, did you delete your .cache files in your My Docs/Ea Games/SIms 2 folder after you removed your CC and before you uninstalled? 

Did you only try uninstalling AL or did you uninstall everything?

Were you using a nocd crack or a mini image so as to avoid suckyrom?

I'm only a baby nerd but those are the first things that came to mind.
simsproot
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 September 06, 16:40:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just looked in my sims 2 folder and there is one .cache file called Groups.cache.  Should there be more?

I only uninstalled AL.  I lent some of my older EPs to my neighbor so I couldn't uninstall all of them.

No, I wasn't using anything to avoid suckyrom.  Just the normal game and lots of CC.
millahnna
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 September 06, 21:29:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's also a file that shows up called accessory.cache.  Delete both often.  If you use Body Shop (as opposed to CAS in game) you'll sometmes see a third file ending in .cigen which you can also delete.  I suppose it couldn't hurt to delete your thumbnail files (should be five of them in your thumbnails directory).  In fact now that you are half uninstalled, I'd recommend it.  Your catalog thumbnails still have AL stuff in them and you don't have it on the machine anymore. More than a few times I've thought a download was corrupt only to finally remember those pesky .cache files and delete them, fixing the problem.  You may not have needed to uninstall.  

I've never tried uninstalling only one EP/SP from game and putting it back on.  I would think that it would be fine if it's your last item installed but I always just go full uninstall and reinstall to be safe since the game is buggy as hell.

I'd bet money you have suckyrom.  See the stickied thread in the top of this subforum.
simsproot
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 September 06, 22:41:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My game is working again!  Thanks for the help but I still don't know what happened.  I retried installing AL again today and it installed and the game loaded with my CC.  It's a mystery but I'm glad it's over.
Digital Femme
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 December 03, 00:43:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Raising the dead to say that I had the same problem for Sims 2 and Sims 3. I fixed it by rolling back my display drivers to the previous version.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: