More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 12:34:29

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  How bad is the launcher?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: How bad is the launcher?  (Read 5480 times)
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
How bad is the launcher?
« on: 2009 August 29, 13:30:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I avoid download manager and launcher as advised, and I use AwesomeMod integrated noCD to play. But I accidentally started launcher when I was downloading Inge pudding (it opened instead of saved) and then trying to install Riverview. Eventually, both Inge and Riverview got into my game and worked, and I don't know exactly how. I was trying Install Monkey, 3Viewer, and Sims3Pack Multi Installer all at the same time.

My question is, does using launcher do any harm? Should I check for SecuRom? Can I use launcher to install CC in the future if the other programs don't work?

Sims 3 Blog: Twinbrook Redux
putti
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: How bad is the launcher?
« Reply #1 on: 2009 August 29, 14:18:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're save to use the Launcher as long as you're not on the internet, I do it all the time.
But once you're connected to the net, it want's to connect to it and who knows what it does then.
ShmapnShmazz
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 August 29, 16:25:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That shit makes your computer explode.
Mire Krisma
Pancake Fucker
Retardo Lander

INTP (allegedly)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 August 29, 16:26:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The launcher is the root of all evil. It must be killed with fire. As such, kill your registry ( if Windoze ) with fire, and the same goes for your program files.
Tingeling
Malodorous Moron

- Big Cat AIDE - and proud of it!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 August 29, 17:01:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could have saved some forum space by doing a simple search before you asked. That way I wouldn't have been forced to post this:

- INTJ -
Rockermonkey
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 August 29, 21:44:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used it up until recently with no issues. But for some reason when I do turn on the launcher, my graphic card gets pretty hot immediately... I'd say not to worry about it. If you have the official version there's no securom, so don't worry about it.
Sparks
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2009 August 29, 22:01:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have an Arr'd game. I use the Launcher to install EA stuff. I've tried to use 3Viewer to install the dreadful Sims3packs from TSR but, it doesn't work sometimes; just hangs. Especially gives me problems with clothing that was created with that TSR Workshop. I've also tried to use Delphy Multi Pack Installer extracter thing, but that crashes (and yes I do have The Framework and .NET whatever). And plus, sometimes those subsequent package files don't show up in game. I've found myself beguiled by The Exchange and being able to download simple recolors that I'm too lazy to do myself, and I use the Launcher to install those as well. I used to turn my Wireless connection off whenever opening the Launcher but now, I just leave it on. Never ever had a problem, THUS FAR.

I Can Haz Portal 2?!
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 August 30, 02:10:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you have the official version there's no securom, so don't worry about it.

Nitpicky time: the official DVD version; the digital download HAS securom.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
Liveangel
Querulous Quidnunc

Meh.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2009 August 30, 08:27:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From the original TS3 launcher thread:

2. The Launcher is a slob. If you thought the TS2 package installer was horrendous, with strewing crappily-named files all over your directory, the TS3 Launcher is worse. Not only does it not name or organize the files in anything approaching a helpful manner (sort by set? Creator? Download time? What are those?), but it jams all of the files into single large files in the "DCCache" folder, and strews additional, completely useless copies of files inside the "DCBackup" folder, which it never uses or cleans up. They aren't named anything useful, so you'll have no idea what the hell they do. You can delete this crap. If you ever attempt to DELETE any content, the Launcher will not, in fact, actually give you your disk space back, instead leaving you with a 50 MB file containing absolutely nothing. SOMETIMES it might let you have your disk space back....but usually not.

I don't know how much disk space has been swallowed. Check the "DCCache" and "DCBackup" folders.

"Jesus is not Santa Claus for adults! Jesus is for everyone!"Edward Current
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: