More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 20:48:05

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Snow Leopard (mac): does upgrading fuck up the game?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Snow Leopard (mac): does upgrading fuck up the game?  (Read 10939 times)
simmilk
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Snow Leopard (mac): does upgrading fuck up the game?
« on: 2009 August 28, 13:27:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are any Mac users going to upgrade to Snow Leopard?

Moderator edit: title changed to make the thread relevant to The Horror, The Horror!
« Last Edit: 2009 August 29, 10:10:08 by BastDawn » Logged
James
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Snow Leopard (mac)
« Reply #1 on: 2009 August 28, 13:38:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, since I got my refurbished MacBook after June 8 I'm getting it for 10 bucks or something. Plus postage and handling, of course. According to the e-mail I got today, it will arrive in 5-10 business days.

BTW I think this thread should be moved to RL. It doesn't have anything to do with The Horror.
soozelwoozel
Senator

Success Weasel, School of notovny '11

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 August 28, 16:20:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What relevance does this have to The Horror? Why are you posting this here? The Horror is already cluttered up with plenty of random crap, no need to add your superfluous rubbish to the mix. WDC.

KNOCK KNOCK, JUNIOR\'S HERE
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 August 28, 18:12:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It doesn't have anything to do with The Horror.

I don't know...the OP's cluelessness and avatar are pretty horrific.

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
professorbutters
Humourless Egghead
Lipless Loser

Humourless Priss

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 August 28, 22:34:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What I want to know is if upgrading will irretrievably fuck up my game.  That's what happened to Sims 2 when I upgraded from Tiger to Leopard.  It turned out that I should have uninstalled the game and reinstalled, because Tiger and Leopard place the game in different places (Tiger put it directly on the HD and Leopard in the Apps folder.)

It took a hell of a long time to see the damage (disappearing lots, Sims stuck at wrong ages, general Armageddon) and still longer to figure out what had caused it.  Plus without Sim PE, rebuilding took forever.  Aspyr had the info on what happened and what to do.

I think it's a legit question.  Personally, I plan on letting someone else jump off the ice floe first. The Sims 3 fora will probably have some threads in the Mac section shrieking about OS and game incompatibility, and there will be zero tech support.  And then there will be a flood of people from the BBS who decide "oooo I don't know what to dooo let's go to MATY."  If there's a dedicated thread, at least we can direct people to that.  Perhaps there will be less threadshitting.

Call me a crazy dreamer.

dedust
Asinine Airhead

LÖR LÖR

View Profile
Re: Snow Leopard (mac): does upgrading fuck up the game?
« Reply #5 on: 2009 August 31, 01:52:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I updated to Snow Leopard without even thinking it could fuck up my game. Just recently I went to see if my game was still ok, it loaded really fast from the first loading screen after skipping the intro video. That was about it then, probably has a lot to do with the newly found 64 bitness though.

Then things started to get creepy. Mortimer Goth had his textures replaced with some random sim he talked to, had his face completely white, and some ugly green striped shirt all over him. EWW. In CAS he looked normal, in live mode he was fucked up. Even his thumbnail eventually refreshed to the fucked up version. Then his son's thumbnail turned black, with RED EYES. He looks normal in live mode, but his thumbnail is creepy. Mortimer however has all his textures plastered in new creative ways. Every time he went to work, he came back with new textures. Mostly greyish, sorta like poured wall textures. He probably got them from the building's wall. Maybe they had wet paint.

After dealing with this for a while the buy mode went haywire, its graphics exploded and the only way I could navigate through was with the mouseover texts. Should have taken a screencap, the mess was unbelievable. Later the whole game crashed, my mac got really stuck, had to reboot. Now I'm trying to reinstall the whole thing, apparently the installer got stuck too.

Quote from the official forum:
"Through testing with The Sims 3, we have discovered some compatibility issues with this new operating system on specific graphics cards. Errors will occur when playing the game on the ATI x1600/1900 and Nvidia 7300/7600GT graphics cards. On the ATI x1600/1900, you can avoid the errors by changing the ‘lighting/shadows' graphics option to the lowest setting as shown in the screenshot below.
 If you happen to be on the Nvidia 7300/7600GT, we would not recommend upgrading to Snow Leopard and playing The Sims 3 until these issues are addressed. We are looking into a resolution as quickly as possible and will keep you updated asap. We appreciate your patience. We know how much you love your Sims AND Snow Leopards ☺"

I'm running this on 9400M/9600M GT and probably have every bug they've found so far. Blergh. So basically, your game either will or will not be fucked up with SL. It could have graphic glitches, nothing major, and nothing that would mess the game itself forever.

You will be baked, and then there will be cake.
Mazza
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 August 31, 02:40:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really hate to post this but some issues are known

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/96855.page

simmilk
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 August 31, 13:47:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for correcting my original subject line--that's precisely what I meant.  Wink

I didn't see stuff out there about TS3 and Snow Leopard when I started this thread. 
ejk
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 September 04, 20:06:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My game does not run under 10.6.

My copy of Snow Leopard arrived today, and I did a full system install.  I erased the hard drive and added my documents and information from my time machine back up.

When I installed Sims 3, a completely clean install of it, it seemed to work ok until I updated to the 1.4 patch.   Directly from the digital download install, the program opens with no problem.  After updating, the application just bounces in the dock and it says "application not responding."

Attempted all the suggestions on the Sims 3 forum. None worked, of course.

So therefore, on my end:  Snow Leopard = Fucks up the game.
CheritaChen
Corpulent Cretin

INFP

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 September 04, 20:39:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not asking this to imply that 10.6 doesn't really fuck up the game, since I don't have it yet and I always play under XP with Boot Camp anyway, but...after you completed your installation of Snow Leopard, did you make sure you ran Software Update repeatedly until there were no updates available? Every once in a while, they actually fix something right away. If you haven't run it, do so before you try running the game again, just in case. If it still won't launch, report it to Apple.
ejk
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 September 05, 00:42:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just managed to get it working actually. 

I did run software update, but originally that did not successfully help.  I thought about the issue over dinner, and came to the conclusion that it might of had something to do with restoring my information from my Time Machine backup.  When I installed the sims, the launcher showed my login information as it had been restored from Time Machine.

What did work was reinstalling Snow Leopard and not restoring any information from Time Machine.  Lucky for me, this was easy to do as it only takes me a few minutes to back up mail, iCal, etc.  All my music and photos are already stored on external drives.  After reinstalling 10.6, I ran software update (1 item found), and then installed Sims 3.  After Sims 3 installed, I immediately applied the patch.  Then, with that accomplished, I logged in though the launcher and ran the game.  Volia!  Starting over from scratch with the Sims, but that's ok.

I am now, officially, a happy camper.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 September 05, 14:58:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Jut for the record, Apple had already put out a huge upgrade to 10.6 (wow  Roll Eyes), because apparently there were significant security issues with the upgrade. Downgrade of Adobe Flash included.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 September 08, 04:25:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just managed to get it working actually. 

Out of curiosity-- do all of your graphics look more or less the way they did prior to upgrading? I only ask because the weird TS3 graphical glitches I've been reading about are what is currently putting me off from upgrading to Snow Leopard.

I sing along with elevator music.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: