More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 17:58:06

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  Pudding Factory
| | |-+  Hatchet Falls: Sunset Valley, Redefined (UPDATED W/ SIMS)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Hatchet Falls: Sunset Valley, Redefined (UPDATED W/ SIMS)  (Read 41827 times)
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
Hatchet Falls: Sunset Valley, Redefined (UPDATED W/ SIMS)
« on: 2009 August 22, 06:30:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Welcome to Hatchet Falls, a new neighborhood for your sims based on the default hood, but with a rural, mountain theme instead. While it still isn't possible to completely change the neighborhood terrain or the neighborhood objects, I think you'll find a lot can be done by altering what can be edited to give the neighborhood a completely different feel. The neighborhood now has a forested look, the community lots are more interesting, and all the parks and public spaces are much less formal. No more "lifestyles of the rich and famous!"

Screenshots HERE:
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/Ellatrue/Hatchet%20Falls/

Features:
  • The Church of the Golden Gnome
  • Hatchet Falls Historical Society (art gallery)
  • Hatchet Falls Library (much smaller than the default and very cozy)
  • a "river" running through the center of town
  • Haunted Lighthouse
  • Wanda's Yard Wonderland (art gallery)
  • Motel Sleezopolis
  • Completely redecorated beach lot
  • Hidden, underground science facility
  • Whalemart (shopping center)
  • Blight Hill Spring park
  • Numerous farms and orchards
  • Abandoned Quarry
  • Floating Pine Pool Center
  • Tiny Tony's Gym
  • lots of forested lots, tons of new fishing locations
  • MOAR!
Most residential lots are taken from various creators on MTS2, then butchered by me. I believe I remembered to ask for permission from all of them--to everyone who contributed (and to those who helped with playtesting), thank you!

This version is empty of all inhabitants, and I deleted almost all the beds in the neighborhood after asking Pes, so I don't expect more than maybe 4 or 5 townies to spawn. If you want to prevent that, delete the beds from the residential lots that have them. To the best of my knowledge, I believe the save is clean and shouldn't contain errors. If you want the game to generate townies, add more beds. I plan on uploading a second version with some default families + playable ghost in the haunted house soonish.

This neighborhood save REQUIRES Riverview and Awesomemod in order to work.
Also, brains. Please see the store stuff thread if you don't have them yet. I currently have all store stuff installed (most importantly the hewnsman set).

You should also download these STAIRS AND FENCES for everything to show up properly, especially the lighthouse:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=362401

PATTERNS needed for the houses:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=353357

Put the file in your My Documents/Electronic Arts/Saves folder.
GET IT HERE:
http://ellatorture.moreawesomethanyou.com:8080/other/HatchetFalls/HatchetFalls.sims3

ETA: Added link to the custom patterns I used. Oops. The neighborhood should work fine without the custom patterns and stairs, but some of the buildings might look ugly.

ETA: Inhabited version now available. See below. The requirements are the same, except for the custom hair.
« Last Edit: 2009 September 09, 07:15:59 by Ellatrue » Logged

Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Hatchet Falls: Inhabited Version
« Reply #1 on: 2009 August 22, 06:32:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Inhabited version now available!

Link:
http://ellatorture.moreawesomethanyou.com:8080/other/HatchetFalls/HatchetFallsAndSims.sims3

Requires:

*Riverview & Awesomemod

Recommended:
*This hair for one of the non-playable ghosts: Short Mop Hair by HystericalParoxysm @ MTS
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=357769

*Everything from the TS3 Store. I got mine from a torrent of everything in the store thread. While I tried to keep the things I used from the store to a minimum, the store stuff is not marked in the game as being custom, so I have no way to distinguish between what came with the base game and what didn't. Nothing will break if you don't have this stuff, but some of the furniture might be missing and some of the sims might look odd with different hairstyles.

*These STAIRS AND FENCES for everything to show up properly, especially the lighthouse:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=362401

*PATTERNS needed for the houses:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=353357

Put the file in your My Documents/Electronic Arts/Saves folder.
« Last Edit: 2009 September 05, 21:10:29 by Ellatrue » Logged

Roxxy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Hatchet Falls: Sunset Valley, Redefined
« Reply #2 on: 2009 August 22, 08:14:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What an excellent idea, I like the way you have created the town to have a unique feel (within the constraints of what is currently available).  I appreciate this and look forward to downloading your updated version with the playable ghost, whenever that is ready.

A high post count, proves nothing... your behaviour and actions speak much louder.
dilitru
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 August 22, 12:58:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

First: THANKS, THIS IS GREAT!
Next: Do you plan to make more of these interesting neighborhoods? I've been reading your custom neighborhood tutorials/ stuff and there's a lot of potential things you can do/mess with, such as Montague vs. Captulets feuds (of course, this is more focused on the Sims themselves rather than the buildings, though the families can own the buildings...) so I'm wondering if you can make more... I'll definitely have fun playing them!
BTW: I love your Motel and Church.
EDIT: Just making sure the Grammar Police won't arrest me.
« Last Edit: 2009 August 22, 14:41:04 by dilitru » Logged
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 August 22, 15:09:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Out of curiosity, are there any beautiful vista lots?

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Larku
Corpulent Cretin

Why is a raven like a writing-desk?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 August 22, 18:11:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How do you know when a lot is a beautiful vista? I thought all the ones near the beach and on the hill were. Does that vary?
old_dude
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 August 22, 19:25:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nice, but it REALLY needs at least the school and the store.

Edit: Found the store, Duh! But it still needs the school.
« Last Edit: 2009 August 22, 21:13:04 by old_dude » Logged
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 August 22, 19:53:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How do you know when a lot is a beautiful vista? I thought all the ones near the beach and on the hill were. Does that vary?

I only know of one way to determine whether a lot has a beautiful vista: move a sim into the lot and see whether they have the moodlet.

Beautiful vistas are easy to destroy and impossible (at this time) to get back.  The easiest way to remove a beautiful vista is to destroy the lot from the neighborhood view.  You can also destroy them by packaging a lot, and by installing a lot from the lot bin.

Since this neighborhood was created with downloaded lots, I'm going to guess that the beautiful vistas are all gone.

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
Larku
Corpulent Cretin

Why is a raven like a writing-desk?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 August 22, 20:02:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I only know of one way to determine whether a lot has a beautiful vista: move a sim into the lot and see whether they have the moodlet.

Beautiful vistas are easy to destroy and impossible (at this time) to get back.  The easiest way to remove a beautiful vista is to destroy the lot from the neighborhood view.  You can also destroy them by packaging a lot, and by installing a lot from the lot bin.

Since this neighborhood was created with downloaded lots, I'm going to guess that the beautiful vistas are all gone.
Ah, I was not aware of that. Thank you for informing me. I'll try to avoid destroying them.
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 August 22, 20:05:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

More info on beautiful vistas:
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,15279.0.html
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=347927

Baronetess
spaceface
Retarded Reprobate

Lost in Middle-earth

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 August 22, 21:41:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nice, but it REALLY needs at least the school and the store.

Edit: Found the store, Duh! But it still needs the school.

Look HARDER, or put your spectacles on.

PS: Do you know that you're a HAMTARD?

More F than you
That Eighties Guy
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 August 22, 22:12:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sweet, I'm trying it out right now. It feels as if something is missing when I'm hovering at the neighbourhood view, but meh.

The goggles, they do nothing!
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 August 22, 22:20:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The school is near the beach, and in one of the screenshots. The only things missing are the theater and the spa, because I think they're pointless and I couldn't find a good way to make them work in a rural hood, but they are easy enough to add back in. The bookstore and grocery are hidden inside the whalemart on "Blight Hill" above town, by the fish farm. The science center is in the usual location, but buried underground (it's the same lot I uploaded before).

There are 3 beautiful vista lots, one with a house on it--the others are empty lots. I'm not sure if there were originally more of them, because I may have accidentally killed the beautiful vista buff on a couple that seem like they should have it before I knew the buff existed. However, since someone has already been able to clone the fish and bug spawners, I'm hoping we'll be able to add the beautiful vista back soon.

When asked, Pescado said that once you put fish in a community pond they will automatically respawn, and I did stock all the community ponds with fish. Don't place a new building on the two empty beautiful vista lots (on the cliffs above the ocean) or they will lose the buff--you have to build something from the ground up. As for seeds and bugs and rocks, I think there should be enough spawn points in the off-lot locations that couldn't be modified for your collector sims. I did not use the buyable fish, seed, and bug spawners from MTS2 because I had a few misgivings about including them, but you can download them and place them yourself if you want.
« Last Edit: 2009 August 22, 23:08:23 by Ellatrue » Logged

Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 August 23, 01:41:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only things missing are the theater and the spa, because I think they're pointless and I couldn't find a good way to make them work in a rural hood

I would argue that both of these could be made to work in a rural community.

Many small towns & hamlets in the rural area I grew up in had a civic hall, a building near the council chambers that was basically a hall that could be hired.  The hall was a focal point of the local community, and was often used for movies, for dances, for wedding receptions, for meetings of various local clubs/societies (and for functions these groups may stage), and for gigs by local bands.

As for the spa - what about a beauty parlour or hairdressing salon?  What small town doesn't have hairdressers who also double as beauticians?

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 August 23, 07:18:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only things missing are the theater and the spa, because I think they're pointless and I couldn't find a good way to make them work in a rural hood

I would argue that both of these could be made to work in a rural community.

Many small towns & hamlets in the rural area I grew up in had a civic hall, a building near the council chambers that was basically a hall that could be hired.  The hall was a focal point of the local community, and was often used for movies, for dances, for wedding receptions, for meetings of various local clubs/societies (and for functions these groups may stage), and for gigs by local bands.

As for the spa - what about a beauty parlour or hairdressing salon?  What small town doesn't have hairdressers who also double as beauticians?

That does sound like it could work. My main concern is that I can't actually rename the community object to have it called something else. I thought about hiding them underground or in a larger building, but I couldn't think of a better look for them that would actually be an improvement. Both buildings would probably be fine as they are, but I don't plan on making any more changes to the neighborhood at this point, building-wise (otherwise I won't be able to stop for another 2 months). They'd probably look nice next to the library if you bulldoze the trees, or next to the town hall.

@old_dude: the school building is the one from Riverview. Do you have Riverview installed?

hab
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 August 23, 21:09:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can you please have a little install list example do this first then this do get this to work I try to load it and still keeps on kicking me out of the game thanks
Georgette
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 August 23, 21:24:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Punctuation and grammar fail.

Je ne comprends pas qu'est-ce vous dit.

Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 August 23, 21:31:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Besides the beauty parlor, which is a staple of small towns, I've also come across a number of sort of retreat, get away from it all, be one with nature sort of spas, but the problem is that rabbithole building definitely looks like a high falutin big city spa, so it would have to be disguised or something.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
tizerist
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 August 23, 23:19:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The town is very nice. Strange to see something so different, yet so similar to my own Sunset Valley.
I've no need for two Sunset Valleys however, its hard enough maintaining my own.
I cant wait till this gets done with Riverview though, as my one is very unfinished.
Very nice.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 August 24, 01:07:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can you please have a little install list example do this first then this do get this to work I try to load it and still keeps on kicking me out of the game thanks

As stated in the original post, you should install Riverview and Awesomemod first.

List! You must install these first!
Riverview!
Awesomemod!
Brains!

Optional: Stairs & fences recolors, patterns linked in the original post.

@Motoki: yes, that's the main problem with the beauty parlor. The one from Riverview doesn't look significantly different,  although Riverview is meant to be a more rural town... it's barely even a a recolor. I felt I was able to compensate with the stadium and school at least somewhat by partially burying them to make them look smaller, but I'm not sure I can get that to work for the spa. Customizing neighborhoods will probably get much easier once people start to remesh the rabbitholes, but for now we are stuck with the non-recolorable defaults.
« Last Edit: 2009 August 24, 01:28:20 by Ellatrue » Logged

old_dude
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 August 24, 04:08:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I spent several hours working on the game today trying to get the school and hospital to show up.  I uninstalled the game, edited the registry of every mention of sims 3 and re-installed the whole thing, twice, all to no avail. Re-downloaded the save game as well. The only way I was able to get those buildings in the game was to export them from Riverview, buldoze a couple of lots the correct size in Hatchet Falls, and then place them.

I've lost some of the feel you achieved with Hatchet Falls, but now at least my Sim kids can go to school.
Night Racer
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 August 24, 22:07:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

its really nice how just changing the style and designs of lots can give a neighborhood a completly diffrent feel.

(i have been lurking for a long time now because i forgot my username...finaly i realized to hit "forgot password" and it'll send me an email with my username in it. also... is it 'desighn' or 'design'?)

I seem to have lost my mind. I'm going to look for it, if you see it tell it to wait for me.
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009 August 24, 22:21:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

also... is it 'desighn' or 'design'?)

http://www.onelook.com/?w=desighn&ls=a

Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 August 25, 00:56:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@Old_douche:

Did you have Riverview installed at the time you installed my neighborhood? I suspect that once you've run the hood once already, the game remembers those lots as being empty, so it doesn't help if you install Riverview afterwards.

Also, community objects from Riverview and the base game are in the catalog with other buyable objects, so you didn't have to do it the crazy way, and you certainly shouldn't have to fuck with your registry or reinstall the entire game so the sims could go to school. You could have gone into buy/build mode for those community lots and placed the regular school and the regular hospital--it's under build mode, "community objects." Hell, you could place 15 schools in your neighborhood this way. It's completely unnecessary to export ANYTHING for any reason, because it's already in the catalog. If you didn't already know this, I suggest you either follow the advice of more experienced players, or play the game enough to get familiar with it before you attempt to install ANY third party content at all. Now, please answer my questions, because I need more information so I can know if anything actually needs to be fixed, or if the problem is limited to you and/or potential difficulties with installing Riverview, which I do not intend to support here since it is covered elsewhere.

Has anyone else had this problem that can actually be useful here? Is it working properly for anyone who had both Riverview and Awesomemod previously installed?
« Last Edit: 2009 August 25, 01:19:51 by Ellatrue » Logged

Gastfyr
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009 August 25, 01:05:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have to ask, do any of the pre-built houses contain cribs?

I havn't downloaded yet because I currently have my game running, but this looks fantastic.  I'm excited to try it out for myself now that I've seen the screenshots.   Grin

TS3: it's really cool if you don't look too closely! - bottles
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: