More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 15:38:39

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Installing sims3packs on Ubuntu?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Installing sims3packs on Ubuntu?  (Read 7096 times)
bimbelina
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Installing sims3packs on Ubuntu?
« on: 2010 December 14, 06:02:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've recently switched to Linux and Sims 3 & all expansions are running great with Wine & PlayOnLinux. I don't have any problem with .package files - just copy them into the Mods directory as usually. But after downloading a ton of store stuff I realized I have not got a clue of how to handle Sims3Pack files. I can't use the launcher. I can still run XP in a virtual machine - should I use Delphy's extractor to extract all the packages and then just handle them like my mods, or is there a better way?
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
Re: Installing sims3packs on Ubuntu?
« Reply #1 on: 2010 December 14, 06:14:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you use that method, I'd recommend merging them into new files.  Having too many package files causes significant system slowdown.  There's a thread on here with step-by-step instructions on how to make merged files.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
bimbelina
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 December 14, 17:35:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you use that method, I'd recommend merging them into new files.  Having too many package files causes significant system slowdown.  There's a thread on here with step-by-step instructions on how to make merged files.

Thanks for the tip. It is over 1800 packages once I extract them. Guess I need to do some more research.
spockblock
Nitwitted Nuisance

Mugged by an iceberg! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 December 14, 20:28:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you use that method, I'd recommend merging them into new files.  Having too many package files causes significant system slowdown.  There's a thread on here with step-by-step instructions on how to make merged files.

Thanks for the tip. It is over 1800 packages once I extract them. Guess I need to do some more research.

For store items, you might want to look into Moryrie's method, since she provides all the store items neatly bundled together in .package format, spread across just a few large files instead of thousands.

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,15100.msg561002.html#msg561002

AIDE to Assmitten | Ask Me How!
bimbelina
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 December 14, 22:41:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For store items, you might want to look into Moryrie's method, since she provides all the store items neatly bundled together in .package format, spread across just a few large files instead of thousands.

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,15100.msg561002.html#msg561002

Thank you so much. I will give that a try. If all else fails I will just go back to using XP to play the Sim (I kept the partition), but I really want to get away from that and just use Linux.
spockblock
Nitwitted Nuisance

Mugged by an iceberg! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 December 15, 07:27:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really want to get away from that and just use Linux.

Can't blame you. I'm running Vista on a Boot Camp partition on my Mackertosh and I've never wanted to dropkick my monitor so frequently and so often. But it plays most games much faster than OSX, so I endure it, and also I don't feel like I live in a leper colony for deformed gamers, with no access to helpful tools or fresh drinking water.

I've also got an Ubuntu partition and it had never occurred to me to try it your way. Maybe I'll give that a shot sometime.

AIDE to Assmitten | Ask Me How!
bimbelina
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 December 15, 14:20:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've also got an Ubuntu partition and it had never occurred to me to try it your way. Maybe I'll give that a shot sometime.

It works amazingly well. I run XP in a VirtualBox for a few things, like printing greeting cards. And I still haven't been able to get my webcam to work under Ubuntu. But aside from the launcher, the Sims works great, and everything else I use is open source.
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010 December 15, 15:34:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It works amazingly well. I run XP in a VirtualBox for a few things, like printing greeting cards.

MEAN, SARCASTIC greeting cards?  Don't forget where you're posting, please.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 December 15, 16:40:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can't blame you. I'm running Vista on a Boot Camp partition on my Mackertosh and I've never wanted to dropkick my monitor so frequently and so often. But it plays most games much faster than OSX, so I endure it, and also I don't feel like I live in a leper colony for deformed gamers, with no access to helpful tools or fresh drinking water.

This. I never realized how much Windows annoyed the hell out of me until I got away from it. I still keep the game installed on my Mac partition, mostly out of stubbornness, but the performance is definitely better under Windows.

I sing along with elevator music.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: