More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 07:14:58

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  UseRabbitHoleEntrySystem
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: UseRabbitHoleEntrySystem  (Read 15375 times)
Luisa
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
UseRabbitHoleEntrySystem
« on: 2009 August 15, 11:19:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi there, just wondering what this little option does in the AweConf?

I know it says "Uses Token Ring-style RabbitHole entry instead of CSMA/CD" and I know a fair bit about computers but I never did put much time into networking stuff like Token-ring etc, so I'm afraid I don't know what this means. I did a boardwide search for "UseRabbitHoleEntrySystem" but no luck, so if someone could clue me in as to what this option does, that'd be cool, thanks Smiley

-Lu

Any typographical errors in the above post are likely caused by excess alcohol consumption.
Luisa
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: UseRabbitHoleEntrySystem
« Reply #1 on: 2009 August 15, 19:56:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Perfect, thanks again Jordi. Smiley

Any typographical errors in the above post are likely caused by excess alcohol consumption.
Larku
Corpulent Cretin

Why is a raven like a writing-desk?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 August 16, 01:49:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for asking this question.
I wondered what it was too, but I forgot to look about it.
So thanks for answering my curiosity as well.
Sknsarp
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 August 16, 03:50:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Token Ring-style works like a queue with numbers as you can find in waiting rooms IRL: all waiting Sims get assigned a waiting list number, and try to enter when their turns comes up. This avoids the collisions and with it the large timeouts of the default system.

Dare I ask why this is referred to as "Token Ring-style"?
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 August 16, 07:04:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's a network protocol; CSMA/CD is Ethernet, as well. Smiley

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 August 16, 07:07:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In Token Ring, only the holder of the token may attempt to transmit.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 August 16, 07:13:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

(Sorry, I HAD to)

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
Sknsarp
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 August 16, 18:00:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, I am a bit stupid when overtired... I know it says "token" and I read "token", but my brain was trying to comprehend "Tolkien" and not really being familiar with network protocols "Tokien Ring-style" sounded a bit like it could be one of the MATY memes that I am not awesome enough to understand.
Euphemism
Blathering Buffoon

In Soviet Russia, cupcake laughs at YOU!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2009 August 16, 23:08:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheesy I thought that, too. My mind filled with the school building suddenly sprouting the flaming eye dude on the top. Pop culture, it has brainwashed us.

Hmmm. Though, that would be awesome... *shifty eyes at Awesomemod request thread*
Sknsarp
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 August 17, 15:10:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have no clue, that's why I asked.
Buzzler
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 August 17, 18:00:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How would Tolkien-Ring style work?
Gather a group of nine, kill of two (Boromir & Gandalf), separate them in three groups, resurrect one (Gandalf), and at the end lose the ring to a tenth who will deliver it (Sméagol)?
Possible, but I think you're taking this too literally. I think the ring thing is something like a device that gets attached to everyone who wants to get into a rabbit hole. That ring device emits beeping noises in random intervals and everytime there's a beep and the bearer hasn't managed to get into the rabbit hole yet an Elf shoots an arrow into his butt. If somebody doesn't manage to get into the rabbit hole after receiving 10 arrows to his butt, he wins a prize (kick to the head by a Balrog) and climbs up to the next level which is pretty much exactly like the first one, except the Elf gets swapped out against a Dwarf and the "arrow to the butt"-thing gets swapped against the more hilarious "Dwarven War-Axe in the head"-thing. After everyone either managed to get into the rabbit hole or died from blood or brain loss the Elf and the Dwarf argue about who killed more and then go fetch some liquor and hookers.

I'm certain this is how the devs wanted to implement this stuff in the first place, but then they had to take the Dwarf and Elf out due to copyright issues and thus there's an awful lack of "stimulus". I have no idea why they had to take the hookers out though.
Eccles
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 August 17, 20:04:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Perhaps we should just defer to the original Rabbithole system: the Sims (preferably including one female child in a blue-and-white dress, for continuity's sake) could chase a White Rabbit (bearing a pocket watch and complaining about being hopelessly late) down a seemingly neverending hole; they could all have tea with a madman, a raving hare and a sleepy dormouse with a penchant for teapots; meet a crazy cat whom they cannot fathom that has a tendency to appear and disappear at random; watch two overweight, badly-dressed men bonk each other over the head repeatedly while singing a bunch of nonsense; chat with a clearly stoned caterpillar about nothing in particular, then launch their own search for magic mushrooms before finally waking up and entering the school...

At least, that's probably how EA's version works, which is why it takes so long.  Tongue
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 August 17, 23:44:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gather a group of nine, kill of two, separate them in three groups, resurrect one, and at the end lose the ring to a tenth who will deliver it
That does sound a lot like the Sims, really.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Euphemism
Blathering Buffoon

In Soviet Russia, cupcake laughs at YOU!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2009 August 18, 01:55:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Perhaps we should just defer to the original Rabbithole system:

No. You know which Rabbit Hole system I want? The system where we had no Rabbit Holes.

Fuck you, EA.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 August 18, 11:49:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Rabbitholes have existed since TS1. When sims went to work, they left the lot and went to a rabbithole. It's not a new concept. It's not even a bad concept!

Georgette
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 August 18, 11:53:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No. You know which Rabbit Hole system I want? The system where we had no Rabbit Holes.

Fuck you, EA.

Don't you think it would be a bit tedious to have to manually make sims do all their chores at work? The rabbit hole system with a menu to change options is control enough without the game getting overly detailed. However, not being able to see into the diners and restaurants is a big let down. Bring back Nightlife!

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 August 18, 12:02:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wouldn't say that "not being able to see into diners and restaurants" is a let-down. The diner/restaurant functionality is essentially an auxiliary function of the work rabbithole. And you can eat outside. Besides, you realize the TS2 diner/restaurant functionality was essentially just a visible rabbithole akin to eating outside anyway, as it was nearly totally nointeractive and there was nothing you could do once the sequence started except watch.

Buzzler
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 August 18, 14:55:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not even a bad concept!
I agree, although I think they should have fleshed it out a little more. Couldn't have been such a big deal to implement multi-attending movies etc. like the Bistro/Diner too.

I wouldn't say that "not being able to see into diners and restaurants" is a let-down.
Well, watching the first level of the medical career might have been fun, in a disturbing, Monthy Python sort of way.
That Eighties Guy
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 August 18, 17:32:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aye, to at least see what's going on in there is enough. Boring or not, I still want to see.

Hell, it'd be awesome if your sim moved according to task.

Normal efficiency - Sit at the desk/whatever.
Hard Work - Watch him be stressed (Running from order to order)
Slack - Watch TV in the lounge
Sleep - Takes a nap on the lounge's couch.

And yeah, I know this is quite impossible to make. But if EAxis were to do this, I'd maybe care more.
Georgette
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 August 18, 18:04:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Besides, you realize the TS2 diner/restaurant functionality was essentially just a visible rabbithole akin to eating outside anyway, as it was nearly totally nointeractive and there was nothing you could do once the sequence started except watch.

I liked the cute little interactions couples had though, such as "steal a bite" and "surprise engagement", and I actually quite liked them being able to choose what they ordered and such. But I agree the rabbithole is a useful concept, as I really don't want to see my early level Business sims sitting at a desk all day, and the more interesting careers like Space Pirate from TS2 would be impossible to show.

IreneDAdler
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 August 18, 18:42:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aye, to at least see what's going on in there is enough. Boring or not, I still want to see.

Hell, it'd be awesome if your sim moved according to task.

Normal efficiency - Sit at the desk/whatever.
Hard Work - Watch him be stressed (Running from order to order)
Slack - Watch TV in the lounge
Sleep - Takes a nap on the lounge's couch.

And yeah, I know this is quite impossible to make. But if EAxis were to do this, I'd maybe care more.
I really like this idea!  That would really enhance the ant-farm entertainment aspect.  Though it'll probably be awesome for a few hours and then I'll get tired of it, like I tend to do with shinies.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 August 18, 23:19:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It wouldn't work, the entire model would break down as soon as there's like a dozen sims in there running around crazily, clipping through each other, sitting in each others' laps, and piling onto the couch.

Georgette
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009 August 18, 23:20:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What's so interesting about watching a sim watch TV or sit at a desk? They can do that at home.

IreneDAdler
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 August 18, 23:36:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What's so interesting about watching a sim watch TV or sit at a desk? They can do that at home.
I like the idea of being able to zoom in on an office building and peering in the windows at the sims working.  Though it's highly possible I only like the idea because I can't do it.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: