More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 12:30:29

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Someone want to write a Stereo music fix?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Someone want to write a Stereo music fix?  (Read 8463 times)
barak
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Someone want to write a Stereo music fix?
« on: 2009 August 16, 13:49:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anyone out there willing to write a mod that would turn off every stereo in town OTHER than the one inside the house of the active household when it's turned on?

This would completely cure the no music except for custom music working on the stereo as well as there being no music in build and buy mode.

I've tested to make sure that the fix would work by deleting all the stereos in every house except for my active sim, the sound on the stereo immediately started working again.  Unfortunately I don't know a thing about C# so writing something like this is completely out of my league.  I'm thinking it shouldn't take a competent modder more than a few hours at the most to come up with a way to do this.
coltraz
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Re: Someone want to write a Stereo music fix?
« Reply #1 on: 2009 August 16, 16:08:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like this idea. Just sayin'.

Though the quietness in build/buy is sort of nice, I hate how my Sims work out and groove to nothing.
twallan
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 August 16, 16:30:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anyone out there willing to write a mod that would turn off every stereo in town OTHER than the one inside the house of the active household when it's turned on?

This would completely cure the no music except for custom music working on the stereo as well as there being no music in build and buy mode.

I've tested to make sure that the fix would work by deleting all the stereos in every house except for my active sim, the sound on the stereo immediately started working again.  Unfortunately I don't know a thing about C# so writing something like this is completely out of my league.  I'm thinking it shouldn't take a competent modder more than a few hours at the most to come up with a way to do this.

Yes, turning off all the stereos would be extremely simple.  Since I play with the music turned off, I've never personally encountered this problem.

I'll see about adding this functionality into the next version of Supercomputer.

Good Day. Smiley
barak
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 August 16, 19:18:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks!  Apparently the bug is caused because the game plays the sound for the stereo, build, and buy mode all on the one sound channel.  When a stereo is turned on at another lot it takes priority in the channel queue.  So once you turn off your stereo or change the channel it goes silent as it drops below the other stereo in the channel queue.  Now notice, I've never looked at any of the code in question, I'm just assuming how it works based on what happens in game.

I've actually been wondering why no one has come out with something like this already?  I guess people are thinking that EA is going to come out with a fix for it?  Though I doubt very seriously they'll be patching it considering this bug has been part of the game since release day, three patch versions have been released, and it's still there.
Buzzler
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 August 16, 20:04:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks!  Apparently the bug is caused because the game plays the sound for the stereo, build, and buy mode all on the one sound channel.
I think there's a limit to the number of sound sources because sometimes it's sufficient to turn off a single stereo in the hood and the stereo on the homelot works again. It doesn't really matter though.

I've actually been wondering why no one has come out with something like this already?  I guess people are thinking that EA is going to come out with a fix for it?  Though I doubt very seriously they'll be patching it considering this bug has been part of the game since release day, three patch versions have been released, and it's still there.
I've asked for a debug command in the AM requests thread... What really gives me the creeps though is the question if (and how) the EA Beta Testers were actually able to avoid stomping right into this bug or if they in fact did stomp right into it but the devs just gave a crap.
barak
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 August 16, 21:23:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, basically as soon as you go to another lot with a stereo on it the bug starts.  For some reason sims seem to like to dance more than anything, so their going to turn the stereo on almost 100% of the time.  Usually on a new game I can go about 10 to 20 minutes before my stereo stops working on my active sim's lot.
twallan
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 August 16, 23:06:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, basically as soon as you go to another lot with a stereo on it the bug starts.  For some reason sims seem to like to dance more than anything, so their going to turn the stereo on almost 100% of the time.  Usually on a new game I can go about 10 to 20 minutes before my stereo stops working on my active sim's lot.

Your request has been implemented in Version 9 of the Supercomputer.  Feel free to try it out.

Cheers. Smiley
barak
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 August 17, 01:04:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Going to try it out now, thanks for the fast service.
tizerist
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 August 17, 04:12:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does this squash the build/buy music, or am I misunderstanding?
barak
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 August 17, 04:21:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, this fixes it so that the build/buy music will play again as well as the stereo.  If you don't want build/buy music, just make another household active, buy them a stereo and turn it on.  Then switch back to your house and turn off/on the stereo.  That will cause the bug that stops music from playing in the build/buy menus.
Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2009 August 17, 06:42:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I exported my main house and sims and placed them in a clean neighbourhood, all my missing audio was restored. So it does seem that it's a neighbourhood bug. I was glad to get my stereo back, but cant say im fond of the build/buy music.

kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 August 17, 20:38:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, this fixes it so that the build/buy music will play again as well as the stereo.  If you don't want build/buy music, just make another household active, buy them a stereo and turn it on.  Then switch back to your house and turn off/on the stereo.  That will cause the bug that stops music from playing in the build/buy menus.

Or, you know, go into the options and fiddle with the audio settings...

INFP or something
barak
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 August 17, 23:44:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was reinforcing what the fix is for and how to reproduce the bug.  He can of course just shut off music in the options menu, but that will disable all music in game entirely.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 August 19, 01:27:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I must be either blind or stupid (or possibly both) because I can't find a way to mute the build/buy/cas music that doesn't also mute the music in live mode.  I want music in the game, I just don't want music in build, buy, cas, or that music that plays when I am exiting the game. 

On the music tab I can see lists of the tracks that play in most of these modes (except the exit music), but the only option I have is to "preview" the tracks.  On the sound tab I have an option to mute music, but that would mute the in-game music as well.

So how do I fiddle with the audio settings to turn off music everywhere except in live mode?

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 August 19, 02:50:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Stereo music is on that same setting? Blech, that's annoying.

INFP or something
barak
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 August 19, 06:26:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Like I said before you can simply cause the bug to happen intentionally.  Then leave your stereo on at all times.  Every time you load a game the stereo will be working, but build and buy modes won't have any sound.  Of course the stereo will become non functional as soon as it's turned off or the channel is changed.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: