More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 24, 20:44:37

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  More Neighborhood Borkedness
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: More Neighborhood Borkedness  (Read 3424 times)
anachronista
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
More Neighborhood Borkedness
« on: 2009 August 08, 17:37:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This may be similar to some other neighborhood problems that have shown up here, but it's beyond me. I wrestled with it for two or three days.

Several months ago I had a hard drive fail on a new computer (fie upon thee, HP!!!  Angry) and had to replace it. So I backed everything up on a backup drive. We couldn't reinstall Vista on the new drive without having to spend the money for the software, so my beloved computer geek son installed Windows 7 beta on it.

So I reinstall everything onto the new hard drive from the backup drive, reinstall my Sims 2 software, and settle down to play. I start up my game and....WTF! No neighborhoods!  Shocked In addition, the game has created an extra EA Games file with nothing but an empty Sims 2 folder in it. Well, I spent a lot of time trying to solve this, swapping files back and forth, sometimes there were no neighborhoods, sometimes there were NEW neighborhoods, sometimes I swapped the whole thing into the empty file, (which to this day is re-created every time I start up the game  Huh) tried it every which way, but to no avail. For some reason, the reinstalled Sims 2 game refused to read my neighborhoods as they were on the old hard drive.

Finally I found that the last backups of my neighborhoods would work, which is a good compromise compared to not being able to play them at all, but if I could have the borked neighborhoods back, it would be great.  Grin

Anybody else ever seen this sort of thing?  Could it be a SecuRom problem?

GelatinousSubstance
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
Re: More Neighborhood Borkedness
« Reply #1 on: 2009 August 10, 16:09:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had that problem once, and it was because I forgot to patch the game, I think (the neighbourhoods that weren't showing were previously created and/or saved in a patched game). I don't know if that applies to you, but it's worth a shot if you haven't already considered it.

It also wouldn't hurt to remove SecuROM. In fact, you'd be doing yourself a favour, regardless of whether it's contributing to your problem or not.

Doctor: "He was lucky... He was shot in the 90% of the brain that he wasn't using..."

There is no shame in not being ashamed.
anachronista
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: More Neighborhood Borkedness
« Reply #2 on: 2009 August 14, 03:52:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi again, GS! Grin

I've installed and reinstalled Sims 2 and all it's EPs and SPs that I have quite a number of times by now what with updating to new machines and adding a laptop and whatnot. I got it down to a routine of installing and then running through all the patches before playing, so the patches were all current before the neighborhoods started being borked. Just for good measure though, I did run the patches again and swapped out a borked neighborhood to see if it worked. It didn't.  Cry So I'm assuming it isn't a patch issue.

But as I said, the disks have been used to install the game quite a few times. Can only guess at the number on it but something like 4 or 5 times on my own machines and then once up to Pets or Seasons on my daughter's machine.  Undecided Maybe twice, I dunno... Anyway I'm wondering if that's the problem. Doesn't SecuRom limit the number of times you can run the installation process?

Have been studying the getting-rid-of-Securom thread trying to get up the courage to try it, (damn my technotardness!  Angry) but unsure how the process will work on Windows 7. One of these days I'll get more sure of myself and give it a whirl. Thanks so much for responding.
« Last Edit: 2009 August 14, 03:58:11 by anachronista » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: