More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 11:25:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  1.4 patch is now out
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: 1.4 patch is now out  (Read 42603 times)
aeris_knight
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
1.4 patch is now out
« on: 2009 August 07, 02:30:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For those of you who don't know it's out, the simguru bg fixed it for the launcher. It's pretty much a patch for the patch.  At first it wasn't up but now the update should pop up on the launcher.  I'm guessing the latest of AW is not compatible with the new patch?
alyria
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: 1.4 patch is now out
« Reply #1 on: 2009 August 07, 02:38:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's compatible.  I haven't seen any new bugs, just the same ones from 1.3.  Don't think it made enough changes to the game to break mods.
Pyromaniac
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 August 07, 02:54:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anyway, important business: No script changes this patch. No update required.
rhodaloo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 August 07, 03:03:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it even necessary to download the patch then?
aeris_knight
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 August 07, 03:06:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh ok thanks,  just wanted to make sure.  Necessary or not I would download it anyway, because I would eventually get sick of the "new update" popup showing up everytime I open the launcher.
Pooka
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 August 07, 03:07:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

3 Patches for one edition of a game? I can't remember, is this a new record for them? I seem to only recall 2 patches maximum per expansion pack.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 August 07, 03:07:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh ok thanks,  just wanted to make sure.  Necessary or not I would download it anyway, because I would eventually get sick of the "new update" popup showing up everytime I open the launcher.
You open the Launcher? Why?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 August 07, 03:16:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You open the Launcher? Why?

Meh, the store crap.

I know there's some back end ways you can avoid it using the JFade tool or some such to extract them to package, but it's too many hoops for me to jump through.

And actually, I will confess though I don't at all care for the launcher itself, I prefer the way it installs custom content because they are clearly noted as such and I can view and delete them in the CAS or buy/build mode.

The Delphy method of installing custom content frequently leaves me going. Wait, did that come with that game or did I download that somewhere? Tongue

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
alyria
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 August 07, 03:45:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

3 Patches for one edition of a game? I can't remember, is this a new record for them? I seem to only recall 2 patches maximum per expansion pack.

That's because there are degrees of broken and Sims 3 was pretty freakin broken when it released. Plus this last patch was just a patch to fix the patch.
quetzilla
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 August 07, 06:49:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's because there are degrees of broken and Sims 3 was pretty freakin broken when it released. Plus this last patch was just a patch to fix the patch.

If you think Sims 3 was 'freakin broken' when it was released you have no idea what you're talking about.
« Last Edit: 2009 August 07, 10:39:25 by quetzilla » Logged
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 August 07, 07:15:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you think Sims 2 was 'freakin broken' when it was released you have no idea what you're talking about.

Quetzilla, they were talking about Sims 3, not Sims 2. 

As for Sims 2 being broken out of the box, yes it was.  For example: I had a family/family couple both with the 10 kids LTW.  After baby number 9 they were unable to try anymore, as they kept jumping out of woohoo interactions.  The process of woohooing, birthing & raising the 9 they had already (i.e. normal game play)  had given them too many memories to be able to woohoo for the last one.  Tracking down the solution led me to Pescado, who made the fix for that particular bug before EAxis were willing to admit the bug existed.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 August 07, 07:38:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah yes, the infamous jump bug. Wasn't that ultimately tied to the memories and once your sims started accumulating too many it ended up in a BFBVFS?

No wonder they ditched the memories feature.

Larku
Corpulent Cretin

Why is a raven like a writing-desk?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 August 07, 07:44:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To start it without the launcher just use the Game .exe out of the folder instead of the launcher's .exe

And yeah, As far as I can tell. Everything seems to work still.
quetzilla
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 August 07, 10:42:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you think Sims 2 was 'freakin broken' when it was released you have no idea what you're talking about.

Quetzilla, they were talking about Sims 3, not Sims 2. 

As for Sims 2 being broken out of the box, yes it was.  For example: I had a family/family couple both with the 10 kids LTW.  After baby number 9 they were unable to try anymore, as they kept jumping out of woohoo interactions.  The process of woohooing, birthing & raising the 9 they had already (i.e. normal game play)  had given them too many memories to be able to woohoo for the last one.  Tracking down the solution led me to Pescado, who made the fix for that particular bug before EAxis were willing to admit the bug existed.

Minor typo, i meant sims 3 as well.

Even so, your example hardly qualifies as broken.  LTW's were only a miniscule portion of the gameplay in sims 2 and you could play the majority of the game without your example bug stopping your game cold.  An example of a game *actually* being broken would be Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, which had a CTD for the majority of players preventing them from getting past the first half of the game.  That is broken.  Your LTW thing is a bug.
LVRugger
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 August 07, 10:52:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree with the idea that TS3 was broken upon release. I can't compare to TS2 as I never played that one.

First problem -  I was at Best Buy getting some cables or something and they had it at the register. I failed my saving throw and bought it. The DVD would not read in my computer. Went online and found a bunch of the same complaints. I returned the disk and bought the digital download version. This was a major complaint for the release.

Second problem - Story mode as written didn't work and EAxis admitted it. Once it was on it was always on with no way to turn it off. I lost several friends to move out. I found out about MATY from the BBS, downloaded AwesomeMod, and have never looked back. Without AM I would have stopped playing the game within about a week or so.

Third problem - (alright, not a release issue, just an EAxis one) - I could not update to 1.3 due to the Mac digital download not being available. So, I'm running 1.2 and old AM. When I get home I'll get to see if I can update to 1.4.
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 August 07, 13:42:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LTW's were only a miniscule portion of the gameplay in sims 2 and you could play the majority of the game without your example bug stopping your game cold. 

Er, are you stupid or something? It had nothing to do with the LTW. It was because playing the game would eventually make it unplayable due to a an error in the code. Sims would jump out of interactions that produced memories, IIRC, which is almost everything of importance.

INFP or something
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 August 07, 14:38:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LTWs didn't even exist at the time of the jump bug, LTWs were a concept introduced in Uni.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
AngerousAlex
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 August 07, 14:45:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm still getting a crash at the neighborhood screen.  Roll Eyes No cc, no mods, no anything but pure base game. Nice.

EDIT: My bad, reboot fixed that. But I am still getting the stupid jump bug where sims won't do anything. Patch didn't fix shit. Game's unplayable.
« Last Edit: 2009 August 07, 14:51:01 by AngerousAlex » Logged
Wulf
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 August 07, 14:53:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

More unneeded info on sims2 memory 'bug' (Oddly one of the things that made run across JMP as well, much to my advantage.)

There were so many 'ghost' memories that got passed off just saying hi to someone that it not only affected just one family, it affected every family in the game.   My solution to this was everyone my Sim meet he killed, it worked out well.  He was vampire once nightlife came out, and just bite them lock them out in the day light and poof no more sim.  It was the good ol' days.  Sadly this only worked somewhat, cause while now my sim was about the only sim with memories, he had far to many death memories which was apparently buggier memory then any other. Then JMP said he has a solution to the problem (EAxis, was still saying did not exsist) and it worked, and the Sims Townies got to live again.  Not sure that was entirely a good thing.
speedreader
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 August 07, 15:08:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Should we take a poll to find out how many of us are here because the Sims2 jump bug led us to Pescado?

On topic, if we don't use the launcher, is there any reason to bother with this patch?
Eccles
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 August 07, 15:29:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Should we take a poll to find out how many of us are here because the Sims2 jump bug led us to Pescado?

On topic, if we don't use the launcher, is there any reason to bother with this patch?

Possibly not. Essentially (as far as I can tell) it was simply a patch that pacths the patch that was supposed to have fixed a hundred things that are still not fixed but EAxis say are. (If that makes any sense - probably as much as EAxis, so all good.  Tongue )

I wasn't one of the people for whom the patch had to be made, but now all of my 1.3 savegames make 1.4 crash, so as per usual, what's a new-and-improved bug-fix for some is a new-and-improved bug-fest for others. Highly annoying to have to restart my legacy game because EAxis rotated theirs the wrong way again. Roll Eyes
alyria
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 August 07, 16:23:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you think Sims 3 was 'freakin broken' when it was released you have no idea what you're talking about.

Clearly we have different definitions of broken.  See my definition of broken is when they add a story mode toggle that doesn't even work, toddlers morph into mutants when trying to do an animation they don't have, pregnant men walking around bodyless, places of work can't be entered when certain opportunities are preformed, the ability to plant things you learned from opportunities lost if you move, and on and on and on....

I guess your definition of broken is you stick in the disk and your comp explodes. 
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009 August 07, 17:02:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Uh, men don't get pregnant in the base game. Also toddlers and children, in theory, should not be doing things they don't have animations for in the base unmodded game.

I will happily blame EA for many things, but having things not work right when people mod the game to do things it was never supposed to do in the first place is not one of them.

alyria
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 August 07, 17:24:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Men do get pregnant in the base game.  EA storymode rolls a random baby in a random house and if there is no woman in the house the guy carries the baby.  Since they didn't make a mesh for it, the guy would just be a bobbing head.  I had bodyless men before I had ANY mods.  I didn't realize the reason WHY they didn't have a body, I just thought it was a graphics bug. Then I later found it it was because EA storymode randomly impregnates people, but doesn't discriminate by gender.

The toddler bug is from when you teach a toddler to talk and then let them watch tv.  There is no "talking while watching tv" animation for toddlers, but they try to do it anyway and their body morphs into some freakish mutant thing.  The most recent patch stops that.  Why would EA make a patch to fix something third party mods cause? Hmmm...

I don't just pull stuff out my butt, I actually play the game, and read multiple sites to find out if what's going on in my game is going on in other people's game and why.
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009 August 07, 21:54:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Easy answer: every one of us. And we stay because it takes a Pescado to fix the many many bugs and to make the game any good. Always has, always will- evidently.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: