More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 02:10:49

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  Question about awesome skin blending.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Question about awesome skin blending.  (Read 13553 times)
susannahmia
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Question about awesome skin blending.
« on: 2009 August 04, 13:40:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In my game I have a red, a blue and a green family. When the blue and red spawn with someone with normal skin tone the colours blend together, which is exactly what I wanted. However all green spawn comes out the same shade of green as the parent and the other parent with normal skin seems to be ignored. I also have a green husband and red wife and all the spawn so far have been the same shade of green as the father.

Is this intentional? Is green supposed to be that dominant?
« Last Edit: 2009 August 04, 13:46:10 by susannahmia » Logged
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Question about awesome skin blending.
« Reply #1 on: 2009 August 04, 13:46:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In my game I have a red, a blue and a green family. When the blue and red spawn with someone with normal skin tone the colours blend together, which is exactly what I wanted. However all green spawn comes out the same shade of green as the parent and the other parent with normal skin seems to be ignored. I also have a green husband and red wife and all the spawn so far have been green.
In the stock game, if two sims of different swatches breed, you get ONE skin tone, EXACTLY, or the other. No variation.  In AwesomeBlending, the swatch of the darkest is used, and then the range is selected at random between them. In testing, this produced the most natural results without any really freaky aberrations. The thing is, a sim can only have one skin swatch, so it isn't possible to blend between swatches.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
susannahmia
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 August 04, 13:53:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey thanks for  the reply Pescado I didn't really explain myself properly. I realise that they are not exactly blended. When my red and blue familys breed with someone of a different skintone you can see a variation in the shade of blue or red skintone of the spawn. Which is perfect. However all green spawn are the exact same shade of green as the green parent, no variation at all.
pbox
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 August 04, 14:21:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you'd post your RGB values, it would be easier to answer this. Nobody can see what you mean by "red", "green", "blue", and "normal".
susannahmia
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 August 04, 14:29:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you'd post your RGB values, it would be easier to answer this. Nobody can see what you mean by "red", "green", "blue", and "normal".

I'm going to be annoyingly stupid now and ask what the heck are rgb values and how do I find them?

Edit: Just to note. I'm not a simPE user at all.
« Last Edit: 2009 August 04, 14:46:17 by susannahmia » Logged
nanacake
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 August 04, 15:00:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGB

I don't think you can view the RGB value for skintone in CAS, since it's only selected by using a tint of the 6 presets.
Try using the command 'bodyinfo' on your sim, I believe one of AM's commands will show you the RGB of the skintone.
pbox
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 August 04, 16:26:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or make a screenshot and check it out in your favourite image editor? (but then I don't know how reliable those CAS swatches are .. I seem to recall they're somehow button-shaped, with gloss and stuff)

But if there's a way to view the data the way the game sees it (i.e. what nanacake said), that's obviously more straightforward.
susannahmia
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 August 04, 17:09:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGB

I don't think you can view the RGB value for skintone in CAS, since it's only selected by using a tint of the 6 presets.
Try using the command 'bodyinfo' on your sim, I believe one of AM's commands will show you the RGB of the skintone.

Nope body info wont show any info on skin just weight and strength statistics I'm afraid.
Cydira
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 August 04, 17:17:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When my red and blue families breed with someone of a different skintone you can see a variation in the shade of blue or red skintone of the spawn. Which is perfect. However all green spawn are the exact same shade of green as the green parent, no variation at all.

It's probably because when you make your red/blue/green families, you make them the vary darkest shade of that swatch.  So when a blue and a green breed, there's no variation in the intensity of the shade between the parents, so all green children are the darkest green and all blue children are the darkest blue.  And when a r/b/g sim spawns with a flesh-colored townie, the townie is likely not to be the darkest possible in their flesh-colored swatch, so the children will have some color variation in the r/b/g swatch.  It's working as intended.
susannahmia
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 August 04, 19:09:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah that could be it alright the shades of both skintones might be too similar to make a difference in tone for the offspring.

Heres some pics to show what I mean.

This one shows a green husband and red wife with their spawn. As you see there is no discernible difference between the father and kids skin tone.

Here is a blue skinned husband with his "normal" toned wife. As you can see the kids are visably paler than the dad. This is typical for my blue and red sims and exactly what I was looking for.

This is a green male with his "normal" toned wife. As far as I can see there is no discernible difference between his and his sons skintone unlike the example above with the blues.

Cydira
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 August 04, 21:09:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is a green male with his "normal" toned wife. As far as I can see there is no discernible difference between his and his sons skintone unlike the example above with the blues.

I remember reading somewhere that some percentage of the time, the offpsring will get one parent's (or the other's) exact coloring, i.e. there will be no blending.  If that's not the case, then you might just have gotten a blending on the green toddler closer to the green father's intensity.  Does that couple have any other children?  How do they look?
susannahmia
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 August 04, 21:51:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Exact same for that couples other child and the green husband has a few brothers and sisters married to "normals" who all have kids with the same green tone, no visible variation.
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 August 05, 02:03:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Imagine a skintone as two variables: Darkness and Color.

If you have a Blue 10 male, that is, the darkest blue, and he breeds with a Fleshtone 5 female, the kids will be either Fleshtone or Blue (no blending there) but somewhere between 6 and 9 inclusive in darkness (blended)

If you have a Green 10 male, and a Red 10 female, the kids will be either green or red (no blending), but darkness 10. Therefore, the spawn will be Green 10, as expected.

I suspect you're making your colored sims the same darkness as each other. Try breeding your green male with a light pink female (Red 1 or 2). You should get a variation.

INFP or something
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 August 05, 03:00:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Imagine a skintone as two variables: Darkness and Color.

If you have a Blue 10 male, that is, the darkest blue, and he breeds with a Fleshtone 5 female, the kids will be either Fleshtone or Blue (no blending there) but somewhere between 6 and 9 inclusive in darkness (blended)
Not quite. If you have a Blue 1.0 and a Meat 0.5, you will get Blue, somewhere between 1.0 and 0.5. If you were using EAxis, you would get EITHER Blue 1.0 or Meat 0.5. The kicker that makes the EAxis solution ugly is that there are *3* "meat" colors, but the game treats each of them as incompatible, so if you have meat2 1.0 and meat3 0.0, you get ONE or the OTHER, NOTHING inbetween. AwesomeMod would give you meat2, between the entire range. The reason this is done is because of the "weird" RGB tones: Those tones can, at very LOW settings, be used to create "normal" looking sims, but at high intensities, produce very unnatural looking sims. Therefore, to avoid the problem where you breed The Deathly Pallor (Blue 0.0) with someone who has Meat 1.0, and getting something which is VERY BLUE, we pick the darkest swatch as the dominant swatch, then randomize the range, so you would likely get something between "black person" and "The Deathly Pallor".

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Indiasong
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 August 05, 12:19:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And are the parents'colour included? I'd like to keep some variety or the neighbourhood will get darker and darker.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 August 05, 12:34:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And are the parents'colour included? I'd like to keep some variety or the neighbourhood will get darker and darker.
The neighborhood will not "get darker and darker" intrinsically, because, for instance, if you breed Red 0 with Blue 1.0, you would get anything from Blue 0.0 to Blue 1.0 (but always blue, in this case). Of course, much like in real life, if you have a diverse neighborhood that breeds without regard for "racial" concerns, you are going to get a neighborhood of homogenized people as your end result, where everyone will tend towards median values: A neighborhood of brown people, just like what happens in real life.

shinygobonkers
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 August 05, 15:15:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

hmm, i ended up disabling the awesome blending myself because...apparently the black skin you get from breeding with the reaper is considered 'light', so when breeding with regular colored sims in CAS it was impossible to get any black spawn, which was very sad and a waste of my grim breeding efforts
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 August 05, 15:39:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, one of the tricks you can use is that you can leave it on as a general case, and dynamically toggle it using setconfig as needed. Also, the feature may be looked into to improve it some more after I write another dumper. Plus you're not supposed to breed with Grim.

Gastfyr
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 August 05, 17:58:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Plus you're not supposed to breed with Grim.
Are you saying that EAxis actually had a good reason for disabling that?  Can it bork your game or something?

TS3: it's really cool if you don't look too closely! - bottles
shinygobonkers
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 August 06, 01:57:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, one of the tricks you can use is that you can leave it on as a general case, and dynamically toggle it using setconfig as needed. Also, the feature may be looked into to improve it some more after I write another dumper. Plus you're not supposed to breed with Grim.

hmm that is an idea, though one ill hold off on as im planning to deploy my currently black reaper kid to populate my legacy neighborhood with black grimmy babies :0

and that's lieeeessssssss. grim babies are the best babies of all. and woohooing the reaper is almost as funny as wookhooing servos was...first EA takes away the alien rape babies of ts2, then it tries to take the grimmy babies and ruin my fun
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: