More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 06:22:22

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  Awesomemod Manual or Help Text? Anyone? - Wiki Edits in Progress!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Awesomemod Manual or Help Text? Anyone? - Wiki Edits in Progress!  (Read 38855 times)
OpiumGirl
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Awesomemod Manual or Help Text? Anyone? - Wiki Edits in Progress!
« on: 2009 July 23, 22:25:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EDIT: Here is a link to some "awesome" mod info that has been gleaned from people in this thread (big thanks to Chaos for a ton of tips and getting the ball rolling, Simius too) and other awesome-type people, at the suggestion of Kyna (who suggested the already present Wiki page as a good place to start).  Anyone (non-retardos only please) can add info to this.  Thanks to Witch, for no reason at all.
http://wikka.moreawesomethanyou.com/Awesomemod

Original Post:
Probably we've all wished there was one at one point or another and, although there's a really great little section in the "tips" thread, the only real comprehensive "manual" is found by digging through hundreds of pages.  Lots of times, these questions are redundant due to 1. The answers not being covered in the .rtfm 2. The answers being covered somewhere deep within the recesses of one of the many threads for Awesomemod 3. Lazy-ass people
Though we don't care about number 3, it may be nice to avoid so many number 2-heads that are number 3's...e-hem...by having a more comprehensive guide to the many functions that are frequently asked about.  I know many things are obvious but, some are definitely not and must be sought out outside of the rtfm.

I don't have the knowledge to do this.... I wish I did, but perhaps there are those who'd be willing to pool together and put in one tip or another into it's own thread where it could be filtered and stuck into a single area (even text file or html) to be referred to.  Something a little more comprehensive than the rtfm which is helpful for basics but usually becomes elaborated on later via a question on said subject.

Anyone 1. Know of something like this that I'm missing?
            2. Think it would be possible and like to to it on in some way?

What's the best way to begin something like this?

« Last Edit: 2009 July 25, 23:10:50 by OpiumGirl » Logged
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
Re: Awesomemod Manual or Help Text? Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 2009 July 24, 03:12:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think your idea is a good one, but I'm not really sure how to go about it either.  Of course, starting a new thread would work, but then we don't know all the answers, I'm sure.  And, even if we could find all the posts which purportedly clarify things, we do not have the power to move them into this new thread.  Also, what would prevent people from posting new (and sometimes redundant) questions in the thread being created to clarify, so it would need to be locked.  Therefore, a moderator would have to be involved to move the appropriate posts into the thread, and then lock it to prevent anyone from "muddying the waters", so to speak.  Thirdly, Pescado would likely need to review the posts to make certain the facts are correct, because no one knows better than him on the subject-matter.

However, as you said, it would certainly make it easier for people to see if the question has already been answered before posting, "eh-hem"!  I would be happy to compile this into a file which could then be downloaded, complete with LOLcats and Trogdorstrikesagain, et al.  Maybe even include some waffles and pancake bunnies ...!  Oh, and Grammar Cats - I love the Grammar Cats!  And Cheese with some "Whine"!  The file could then be updated as Pescado evolves the mod.  We'll see if there is any interest on the part of the moderators and Pescado.

It might save a lot of aggravation that seems to be rampant here.  Well, illiteracy does get annoying after awhile, especially from people who really ought to know better. It seems some of them are doing this JUST to be irritating.  Either that, or they really are 12.  And even then they should be more literate than much of what I've seen.  Ugh!  Then again, this is the most posting I have ever done on any Internet forum, so I'm not used to it.  Can't say that I disagree with those who have been here a long time on just how tiresome it can/has become.

On the other hand, sometimes I find it very entertaining to see the reactions and the ensuing "MOAR Fight".  It seems that almost every day there is a new "prisoner" in Retardo-Land!  I don't know whether I feel sorry for them or am on the verge of joining the attack, but, on the bright side, I LOL a lot more these days!  In any event, I digress.  Tl;Dr Tongue

In the (should be) immortal words of Ron White:  "You can't fix stupid!"
chaos
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 July 24, 03:30:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just write down info as I come across it. It's not very high-tech, but it works for me. Still, I agree that a single post or thread, in list format, that's stickied to the beginning of a forum, would be quite handy.

IN T/F J/P. Yeah, I know.
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 July 24, 03:34:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just write down info as I come across it. It's not very high-tech, but it works for me. Still, I agree that a single post or thread, in list format, that's stickied to the beginning of a forum, would be quite handy.

Well, if they agree then perhaps you could give me/us a copy of any notes you've taken, because to tell you the truth I have not written anything down.  I've just gotten used to the things I mainly use in the game and do it almost without thinking about it.  Then if anything new appears, you try to find the method.

OpiumGirl
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 July 24, 03:37:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think your idea is a good one, but I'm not really sure how to go about it either.  Of course, starting a new thread would work, but then we don't know all the answers, I'm sure.  And, even if we could find all the posts which purportedly clarify things, we do not have the power to move them into this new thread.  Also, what would prevent people from posting new (and sometimes redundant) questions in the thread being created to clarify, so it would need to be locked.  Therefore, a moderator would have to be involved to move the appropriate posts into the thread, and then lock it to prevent anyone from "muddying the waters", so to speak.  Thirdly, Pescado would likely need to review the posts to make certain the facts are correct, because no one knows better than him on the subject-matter.

However, as you said, it would certainly make it easier for people to see if the question has already been answered before posting, "eh-hem"!  I would be happy to compile this into a file which could then be downloaded, complete with LOLcats and Trogdorstrikesagain, et al.  Maybe even include some waffles and pancake bunnies ...!  Oh, and Grammar Cats - I love the Grammar Cats!  And Cheese with some "Whine"!  The file could then be updated as Pescado evolves the mod.  We'll see if there is any interest on the part of the moderators and Pescado.

It might save a lot of aggravation that seems to be rampant here.  Well, illiteracy does get annoying after awhile, especially from people who really ought to know better. It seems some of them are doing this JUST to be irritating.  Either that, or they really are 12.  And even then they should be more literate than much of what I've seen.  Ugh!  Then again, this is the most posting I have ever done on any Internet forum, so I'm not used to it.  Can't say that I disagree with those who have been here a long time on just how tiresome it can/has become.

On the other hand, sometimes I find it very entertaining to see the reactions and the ensuing "MOAR Fight".  It seems that almost every day there is a new "prisoner" in Retardo-Land!  I don't know whether I feel sorry for them or am on the verge of joining the attack, but, on the bright side, I LOL a lot more these days!  In any event, I digress.  Tl;Dr Tongue

Yes, you're right about the thread being a relatively difficult thing to accomplish for any non-moderator.  That's why making a file for download would be the preferable way unless, of course, (on the off chance) a moderator would wish to take on this project.  So, a good place to start would be to ask Simius for permission to post the tips he/she put together (which was kindly make upon my humble request) in this document and then get to gathering more tips into a document.

If anyone wants to share some sort of tip or small tutorial on anything, it'd be awesome.  I don't mind putting this together with the help of you, coconnor, and anyone else that wants to do some research or gathering of information or even posting of tips.

Edit: Ah, just notice the last two posts above...Yes, Chaos, if you have the tips together, that would be awesome for all of us.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 July 24, 03:38:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If only we had a wiki which had a page on AwesomeMod.  That would be ideal for such a project.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
OpiumGirl
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 July 24, 03:40:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh if only we had a wiki which had a page on AwesomeMod.  That would be ideal for such a project.

LOL, good to know...Hey, in my first post, I definitely asked for a link to something similar, I just never expected to see anything.

Wait, were you being facetious like I think you were?  Sometimes I can't tell...
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 July 24, 03:55:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If only we had a wiki which had a page on AwesomeMod.  That would be ideal for such a project.

So I assume there is already a Wiki page for this?  I can't seem to get the link right now.  I have been experiencing the "please wait" syndrome with links today.  Is the site slow?  Otherwise,  my internet connection appears to be fine.

chaos
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 July 24, 03:56:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The MATYwikka and RTFM don't list all of the console commands available through Awesomemod, nor do they go into detail regarding Supreme Commander functions. A thread detailing these things would still be helpful, unless you happen to be psychic.

kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 July 24, 04:00:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So I assume there is already a Wiki page for this?  I can't seem to get the link right now.  I have been experiencing the "please wait" syndrome with links today.  Is the site slow?  Otherwise,  my internet connection appears to be fine.

There is, but it appears to be a copypasta of the RTFM with a little wiki formatting, plus a 5-sentence history.

INFP or something
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 July 24, 04:09:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The MATYwikka and RTFM don't list all of the console commands available through Awesomemod, nor do they go into detail regarding Supreme Commander functions. A thread detailing these things would still be helpful, unless you happen to be psychic.

I didn't say the MATYwikka already had the information.  I said it would "ideal for such a project".  There's no reason people can't go and add their notes to the wiki to help build up a comprehensive page on AwesomeMod.

The problem with a thread for a project like this is that it wouldn't take long before it became another 32-page monstrosity that was impossible to navigate.  Wasn't that one of the problems specified in the OP that this project is supposed to solve?

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 July 24, 04:15:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote:  I didn't say the MATYwikka already had the information.  I said it would "ideal for such a project".  There's no reason people can't go and add their notes to the wiki to help build up a comprehensive page on AwesomeMod.

The problem with a thread for a project like this is that it wouldn't take long before it became another 32-page monstrosity that was impossible to navigate.  Wasn't that one of the problems specified in the OP that this project is supposed to solve?
[/quote]

Exactly.  I would be glad to help.  Does this just involve typing in people's facts onto the Matywikka page for AwesomeMod, or is there something else I need to know.  (I've never created a webpage before - non-awesome!)

Edit:  And, apparently getting more so by the moment.  The "Quote" function didn't work for me that time so I had to go back in and manually try to fix it.

chaos
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 July 24, 04:17:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't say the MATYwikka already had the information.  I said it would "ideal for such a project".  There's no reason people can't go and add their notes to the wiki to help build up a comprehensive page on AwesomeMod.

The problem with a thread for a project like this is that it wouldn't take long before it became another 32-page monstrosity that was impossible to navigate.  Wasn't that one of the problems specified in the OP that this project is supposed to solve?

Ah, that makes sense (my reading comprehension is phail sometimes). I wouldn't presume to be the one to add notes to the Wikka, however, since I'm not yet accepted as one of the regulars here. I'll be happy to list the console commands that I've written down in a forum post, perhaps for approval by management. Once approved, said management can then decide whether to add my info to the Wikka, or not.

Simius
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 July 24, 04:49:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, that makes sense (my reading comprehension is phail sometimes). I wouldn't presume to be the one to add notes to the Wikka, however, since I'm not yet accepted as one of the regulars here. I'll be happy to list the console commands that I've written down in a forum post, perhaps for approval by management. Once approved, said management can then decide whether to add my info to the Wikka, or not.

I wouldn't worry too much about not being a regular... as long as you don't act like a retard or put in false info on purpose or whatever.  I also wouldn't worry too much about getting management approval.  Pescado is busy adding new things so I doubt he wants to spend too much time micro managing this project. If your info is wrong someone can always correct it. Just try to test your commands before posting them so that you know they work and they do what you expect them to. 

Anyway, get cracking on that wiki page, I'm sure many people would appreciate it and it sounds like an excellent way for you to give back a little. 
chaos
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 July 24, 05:11:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There are moderators here, besides Pescado. I figured one of them could do it. I've never updated a wiki before, and am not even sure how to go about doing so, to be perfectly honest. Also, although I've been lurking here for ages, my post count says otherwise. It just seems disrespectful for an apparent noob to go messing with the MATYwikka. I'll do so once I have permission from someone More Awesome Than Me.

Kyna
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 July 24, 05:17:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There are moderators here, besides Pescado. I figured one of them could do it. I've never updated a wiki before, and am not even sure how to go about doing so, to be perfectly honest. Also, although I've been lurking here for ages, my post count says otherwise. It just seems disrespectful for an apparent noob to go messing with the MATYwikka. I'll do so once I have permission from someone More Awesome Than Me.

There is ONE moderator here besides Pescado.  I think BastDawn has enough on her plate, with all the tard-herding she has to do.  She doesn't need extra work.

FYI, senator is a meaningless position in terms of "the management" of MATY.  The senate was established to mock of the power structure on other boards.  The senate's main purpose is MOAR FIGHT and senators do not have any mod abilities or admin functions.

Leaving it up to "the management" defeats the purpose of a wiki.  Besides, what's the worst that can happen to you if you get it wrong?
« Last Edit: 2009 July 24, 05:23:23 by Kyna » Logged

chaos
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 July 24, 05:35:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Alrighty, then. I'll take a stab at updating the wiki. I didn't separate the EA debugging commands from the AM console commands when I wrote them down, so there may be some strays that don't belong. I'm sure that somebody will correct me, if I get something wrong.

@Kyna: I do understand that senators have no real power at MATY, but didn't realize that there was only one moderator. I thought rohina was also a mod, but for Retardo Land, which obviously wouldn't have anything to do with the moving of files, etc.

ETA: I'm not exactly sure what "discoinferno" or "trogdorstrikesagain" do, except that they probably involve fire. I'm guessing that the former will set the entire town alight, while the latter will set only a single house on fire. Will somebody please confirm this, so I can add it to the wiki? I'm too chicken to try these commands in my game.
« Last Edit: 2009 July 24, 06:03:15 by chaos » Logged

Simius
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 July 24, 06:31:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Alrighty, then. I'll take a stab at updating the wiki. I didn't separate the EA debugging commands from the AM console commands when I wrote them down, so there may be some strays that don't belong. I'm sure that somebody will correct me, if I get something wrong.

@Kyna: I do understand that senators have no real power at MATY, but didn't realize that there was only one moderator. I thought rohina was also a mod, but for Retardo Land, which obviously wouldn't have anything to do with the moving of files, etc.

ETA: I'm not exactly sure what "discoinferno" or "trogdorstrikesagain" do, except that they probably involve fire. I'm guessing that the former will set the entire town alight, while the latter will set only a single house on fire. Will somebody please confirm this, so I can add it to the wiki? I'm too chicken to try these commands in my game.
I tried discoinferno once.  It lit started all the houses/community lots on fire.  Benches... tables... etc.  I also tried the trogdor one and it at minimum set my car on fire.  Which whenever I put it out it caught on fire again.  With both it basically was an eternal blaze for me until I quit.  I don't if they are designed that way or my computer was just so overwhelmed I could never put the fires out.
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 July 24, 06:34:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Chaos:  Please talk to Motoki.  He told me that "trogdorstrikesagain" indeed sets the lot on fire.  Not sure about "discoinferno", but I would tend to think you are right.

chaos
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 July 24, 06:43:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've added the list of console commands to the end of the AwesomeMod information page of the wiki that Kyna posted upthread (it was surprisingly easy), and will be adding the two fire-related commands, like now.

ETA: The list is in alphabetical order, except for commands that just naturally go together, such as addtrait/droptrait, dresser/mirror, etc.

ETA2: Is done!

ETA3: If I've missed anything, let me know, or feel free to edit the page, yourself. You can tell exactly how to format the list by simply looking at previous examples.
« Last Edit: 2009 July 24, 06:50:54 by chaos » Logged

Simius
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 July 24, 06:51:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've added the list of console commands to the end of the AwesomeMod information page of the wiki that Kyna posted upthread (it was surprisingly easy), and will be adding the two fire-related commands, like now.

ETA: The list is in alphabetical order, except for commands that just naturally go together, such as addtrait/droptrait, dresser/mirror, etc.

Good job.  I'll try to add some as well when I have some time (probably tomorrow).  I also have a whole list of commands in the helpful tips thread and they are pretty much all verified to be awesomemod commands and not just EA debug commands.  But I don't have all the awesomemod commands in there, unfortunately.  So if you want to you can add in those commands as well.  (and give better descriptions than I did if mine don't make any sense.)
Tenjho
Blathering Buffoon

ENTP. Shall I run now?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 July 24, 20:44:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good work so far on the information page ^^. I've edited the console page to make it a little easier on the eyes.

What\'s the use of happiness? It can\'t buy you money.
chaos
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009 July 25, 01:07:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Um, you really didn't make it any easier on the eyes, IMO. By adding unnecessary quotes to the bold text (which is already emphasized by being bold), you made it look cluttered, and by italicizing everything, you've actually made it harder to read. Italics are designed to emphasize certain words or phrases, not the whole damn text field. Why, exactly, did you feel the need to do that? If you really wanted to change the format, to make it more uniform with the rest of the page, you could have simply placed the name of each console command on the first bulleted line, and used indented bullets for the descriptions. I had thought about doing that, actually, but figured that bolding the names of the console commands would be enough. Apparently not.  Roll Eyes

Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 July 25, 01:48:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried discoinferno once.  It lit started all the houses/community lots on fire.  Benches... tables... etc.  I also tried the trogdor one and it at minimum set my car on fire.  Which whenever I put it out it caught on fire again.  With both it basically was an eternal blaze for me until I quit.  I don't if they are designed that way or my computer was just so overwhelmed I could never put the fires out.

They're basically joke/Easter Egg commands. Not really meant for normal use. Tongue

But yes, the trogdor is the active lot and disco is the whole damned town.

The fires actually do go out. Eventually. It just takes a long time, particularly the discoinferno. But I have played through both and they eventually go out.

One family I even cleaned up after trogdorstrikes again (it was a mess!) and continued playing.

I did the disconinferno on a borked up town that I really couldn't play anymore (most of the sims just stand around and whine about their motives) and played it out like a huge armageddon scenario. It eventually went out after a very long time. Might have been a couple of sim days even. There were mass deaths. Most of the town died. Grim was working over time. Actually some of the borked up sims were the few to survived since they were 'stuck' and not reacting to the carnage. Sims tend to be dumb and run into fires instead of away from them.  Roll Eyes

Note that the discoinferno will slow your computer down. I have a fairly decent system and when I first ran it the game paused for a long time, then after the shit hit the fan it still ran really slow most of the time.

I honestly wouldn't recommend discoinferno unless you are really bored and you have the same motto as Pescado, I just want to set the world on fire.

I may, however, use trogdorstrikes again at some future date if I really dislike a sim family and role play an evil magician who takes a taxi to their lot, summons the trogdor to rain fire and visit carnage upon them, and the gets another cab and high tails it the hell out of there!  Grin

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Simius
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009 July 25, 01:52:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Um, you really didn't make it any easier on the eyes, IMO. By adding unnecessary quotes to the bold text (which is already emphasized by being bold), you made it look cluttered, and by italicizing everything, you've actually made it harder to read. Italics are designed to emphasize certain words or phrases, not the whole damn text field. Why, exactly, did you feel the need to do that? If you really wanted to change the format, to make it more uniform with the rest of the page, you could have simply placed the name of each console command on the first bulleted line, and used indented bullets for the descriptions. I had thought about doing that, actually, but figured that bolding the names of the console commands would be enough. Apparently not.  Roll Eyes
I got rid of the quotes and the italics... Hopefully it is how you had it.  From now on Tenjho needs to get permission from management (you) before doing anything.

Anyway, I added some other commands as well and fixed 1 or 2 typos you had in your commands (such as renamesim should have just been rename).  If I fucked something up let me know and I'll try to fix it.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: