More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 20:42:39

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  BREAKING NEWS: TSR INSTALLS SPYWARE!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: TSR INSTALLS SPYWARE!  (Read 103592 times)
Sanyia
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: BREAKING NEWS: TSR INSTALLS SPYWARE!
« Reply #125 on: 2009 August 14, 14:46:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I mentioned no script to my hubby last night, the resident techie in our house. I remember him mentioning it before but as most wives do, I often tune him out so only remembered the name and not much more about it. He said it can be a big pain with all the notifications but now that Leticron has giving me a way to turn it off I'm going to give it a try.  Grin
jriggs
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2009 August 14, 16:39:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, I absolutely use ad block and no script now.  This problem at TSR goes back so long that I had issues before I knew about any of them.  The fact that we very recently had many people who had virus and other issues from their ads again simply means that it is a problem that they know exists and still have done nothing to fix.  I want people to understand that you do not have to click on anything or download anything to be at risk there.  If you visit thier site and do not have proper protection for you computer, then you are at risk.  Simple.
Marvin Kosh
Feckless Fool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: 2009 August 27, 01:15:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I learned recently (the hard way) that lack of protection means one day you will be backing up your data and doing a reformat from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure. Wink

It's a no-brainer choosing between free content which doesn't put your system at risk, and paid content which does.

suemagoo
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2009 August 31, 14:48:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is very true, tried checking out TSR the other day and wham Spyware. Thank God I use McAfee, popped up right away and redirected me elsewhere. God no wonder I barely ever used TSR. BTW newbie here and I am awed by everyones talents  Grin have a good day.
Rider
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2009 September 01, 03:32:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know if this was mentioned, but if you installed tsrworkshop, it installs another program slimdx that it needs to run it, if you uninstall slimdx or don't install it the program won't run proper or install, but they got some nerve to write a program that installs two programs that needs to interact with each other but when you uninstall tsrworkshop, It won't uninstall slimdx, you got to uninstall it by itself, boy this is how sneaky they are to leave I am going to assume the main spayware on your machine, cause this is sneaky and that it should uninstall every program it install but tsrworkshop don't, anyways, there are way better tools out here then that crap.
rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

More Nonstandard Than You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: 2009 September 03, 00:53:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Based on googling, it looks like SlimDX is a library related to .NET and DirectX APIs, not an actual executable program.  It's probably not going to hurt your computer.

I was thinking about these things and I am a feminist.

Kool-Aid
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2009 September 04, 22:36:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just joined today... I've not been here before.  I've been downloading free stuff from TSR (with WinRAR) and not the TSR thing.  I also use MTS .... I wish I would have found this site earlier...

I've caught some things through my Avast! while being on TSR, I just thought it was from corrupt people encoding crap into their uploads... I didn't know TSR was behind that, I didn't know they could be so damn low....  Angry

I've read the link posted back a bit, I just can't believe all of this... its just so sick. 

I have Avast! & Ad-Aware ... should I use anything else?  I just feel sick.

snowbawl
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 2009 September 04, 23:08:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lurk more and read, kiddo.  I imagine you will learn a thing or two.  But do not spew n00b crap everywhere.  There are members here who are very intolerant.  And don't call me rude again, because I am actually being relatively nice and giving you some good advice.
Kool-Aid
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 2009 September 04, 23:16:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm... you again I see.  Roll Eyes
snowbawl
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 2009 September 04, 23:18:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I see you are going to get along well here.  Enjoy.
wes_h
Knuckleheaded Knob

Lady on Rancho Como

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 2009 September 22, 01:39:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The subject matter on the original post was certainly correct, older versions of TSR Workshop installed a keyboard hook that caused alarms to go off. It no longer does that, nor does it even attempt to connect back to TSR unless you authorize it to. Whether this indicates that it is now just sneakier, or that complaints caused changes to be made to the program depends on your paranoia level.

I have never seen the issues with their site myself, but it has ads, and I have seen 3rd party cookie warnings from other sites with ads. Other complaints stem from fallout remaining from the nuclear winter after the war between TSR and PMBD went critical. All who remain are in Wooden Ships on the water, very free (and easy).
Captain Scarlet
Retardo Lander

Though the mysterons plan to conquer the earth....

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 2009 October 05, 16:32:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That does not mean by itself that its spyware Sigmund , EA lancher and FUCKING STEAM do exactly the same thing ... of course STEAM is in fact spyware as it does record your activity and reports it back (Valve let that up slip when they started to talk about how long did people played HL and how many finished the game).

FAILshop likely just connects to the interwebs in order to throw those TSR ads that were reported (the Launcher does the same thing).

I got in contact with Gabe Newell, chairman of valve about this

Steam does not harvest or store any information about the user aside from the password on your computer(if you click the "Remember me" box, and the game files.

I've personally used steam since it was released in 2003 and had no errors.

...This indestructible man will show what he's worth!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 2009 October 05, 18:16:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is clearly a lie. It tracks your usage habits, for one thing. That's how it knows exactly how long and when you've been playing. Given that he has lied about this, it stands to reason that he also has lied about everything else.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Captain Scarlet
Retardo Lander

Though the mysterons plan to conquer the earth....

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2009 October 05, 18:28:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is clearly a lie. It tracks your usage habits, for one thing. That's how it knows exactly how long and when you've been playing. Given that he has lied about this, it stands to reason that he also has lied about everything else.

He said it stores no PERSONAL DATA.

...This indestructible man will show what he's worth!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2009 October 06, 03:02:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

He said it stores no PERSONAL DATA.
How is this not personal data? How about I tag you with a radio tag and monitor your every move. Is that personal data I'm tracking?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
saraswati
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2009 October 06, 21:01:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Captain Scarlet, Steam is well known for data mining. It's one of the reasons I don't use the program.
Miffers
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2009 October 10, 14:18:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dang, I always knew 'The Shit Repository' had a bunch of crappy stuff, but spyware? Tsk, tsk, tsk.
alttbm
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 2009 October 31, 06:18:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

BREAKING NEWS
OMG is this a joke everybody knows that TSR is shit
grammapat
Asinine Airhead

Well at least I aint stupid!

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 2009 November 07, 20:24:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, are we all done with this issue? Guess I'm getting bored with it all, as I'm fixating on the loins of P.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: