More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 08:39:21

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  BREAKING NEWS: TSR INSTALLS SPYWARE!
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: TSR INSTALLS SPYWARE!  (Read 103599 times)
Baron
uknortherner
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: BREAKING NEWS: TSR INSTALLS SPYWARE!
« Reply #75 on: 2009 July 27, 12:57:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So submit secrets so we can post them. Do something instead of just bitching uselessly.

You're not honestly telling me MSTY is getting no submissions at all? Not one since the 18th?

INTJ (44/12/38/67).
"We're building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, and consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business." -EA CFO Blake Jorgensen
Rhayden
Retarded Reprobate

WaffleCat's ambassador to the Artichoke Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2009 July 28, 00:16:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So submit secrets so we can post them. Do something instead of just bitching uselessly.

You're not honestly telling me MSTY is getting no submissions at all? Not one since the 18th?

We've got nine cooking at the moment.

What, are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Rhayden.
Tsarina
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2009 July 28, 09:47:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Problem is though - MSTY seems to be exclusively MATY secrets, and 99% of those relating to Retardoland, and not really secrets at all.
Are you saying that admitting to like/lust after a MATYian should not be considered a secret?

INEPT INTP
Baron
uknortherner
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2009 July 28, 20:04:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Problem is though - MSTY seems to be exclusively MATY secrets, and 99% of those relating to Retardoland, and not really secrets at all.
Are you saying that admitting to like/lust after a MATYian should not be considered a secret?

No, what I'm saying is obvious secret makers are obvious.

INTJ (44/12/38/67).
"We're building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, and consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business." -EA CFO Blake Jorgensen
rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

More Nonstandard Than You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: 2009 July 28, 21:21:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, what I'm saying is obvious secret makers are obvious.

Does it really matter, as long as they are amusing?

I was thinking about these things and I am a feminist.

mindtempest
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2009 July 29, 09:29:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

PEs, provide an scientifical way of reproducing your input, otherwise IŽll have to discard this news as false. I will feel backstabbed, as IŽve trust you many times and now I feel thereŽs no scientifical substance here.
TSR, however, is known to be a nefarious operator: They have acquired and then misused or released to third parties personal information from users in the past. It is reasonable to say that they do so regularly and there is absolutely no physical reason why they would have stopped, and therefore, there is every reason to believe the practice continues. In fact, on PMBD, Johan himself came over to gloat about how undetectable his new system was, because he just couldn't resist the temptation to brag and gloat smugly.
I think the point is that just because one cannot find any message being transmitted in plaintext or an obviously encrypted format does not mean that it definitely is being transmitted as stegotext. True, TSR is a known nefarious site with their ad hell and previous nonsense, but there is no proof of there being any spying activity going on at the moment.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2009 July 29, 10:35:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the point is that just because one cannot find any message being transmitted in plaintext or an obviously encrypted format does not mean that it definitely is being transmitted as stegotext. True, TSR is a known nefarious site with their ad hell and previous nonsense, but there is no proof of there being any spying activity going on at the moment.
You look at the history, too: TSR *ALSO* has a known history of using underhanded means to collect user information, including passwords, and then either uses them, or gives them away to people, to break into other sites. Two datapoints is a line: When you have capability + history, you have a profile of someone who habitually performs such acts and will do so at every opportunity. Consider, for example, a thief: You know this person has stolen in the past, and still has the use of his hands. Therefore, it stands to reason that he continues to do so and will do so again the moment you give him an opening to do so.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Wolfeyes
Furry Yifftard
Retardo Lander

INFJ - 7, Very "F"

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2009 July 29, 21:12:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have to leap to the defense of the word virii, not because it is correct or even appropriate, but because it is just cool, the way "fambly" is cool, i.e., a nonsense corruption of an otherwise decent word made for the sheer pleasure of indulging in corruption.  

Likewise, I defend to the death the word penii as the plural of penis.  Yes, I know, penis doesn't end with a -us, but let's not be picayune.  Penii has many uses, for instance, in describing mutant genitalia.  "And so it came to pass that their baby was born one dark, stormy night, bearing ten itty-bitty fingers, ten perfect itty-bitty toes, each like polished pink pearls, and two clear and unmistakeable penii, one pointing left, one right, like a bi-plane propeller."

A plural of a penis would get my vote any day of the week... the more the merrier I always say...   Wink   Cheesy   Grin   Kiss

"Life is not about surviving the storms but rather how to dance in the rain" ~

Luther Vandross ~ Forever, For Always, For Love ~ 2005

Genius - Flirty - Friendly - Good Sense of Humor - Great Kisser ~
Faded
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2009 July 30, 23:49:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow.
I'm not here to be the champion of TSR, but SOMEONE needs to break this goofy "omg tsr is so evils Shocked" train.

Users of TSR are not stupid (as so many of the fanboys here seem to think). There IS such a thing as not wanting to spend hours at a time making, obtaining or installing additional content for a videogame. Hence, they're willing to use a Paysite ("Time is Money, Friends"). It has nothing to do with "stupid" so much as "just don't care to spend gross amounts of time".

I have used TSR before (no viruses, spyware, malware or anything else, ever) and I have my doubts that what the original poster found was actually anything malicious at all. Yes, spyware/malware is bad, if it IS malware that would be pretty terrible, but in all likelihood, it's just that weird Install Wizard they have at their website. It was for downloading content right from their site and installing it via the website without the hassle of unpacking anything. That's... I'm almost 100% sure, the reason the program "connects to the internet".

I haven't seen any "Threat Details" here. Yes, the EULA's legalese is ominous, but so is ALL legalese. Find me legalese that isn't ominous.

I'm not trying to invoke anyone, but I do think people are flipping wigs here for no reason other than they have a wig they need to flip over something.
Rhayden
Retarded Reprobate

WaffleCat's ambassador to the Artichoke Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2009 July 31, 00:14:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dear TSR shill:

FUCK OFF.

What, are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Rhayden.
Faded
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2009 July 31, 00:38:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dear TSR shill:

FUCK OFF.

Wow, aren't we inflammatory.

I'm not a shill, I'm not here to promote one thing or another, all I said was people are probably overreacting. Though it probably doesn't matter, you probably didn't even read my post.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2009 July 31, 00:43:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I read it, it was full of stupid platitudes, about your reductionist life and how you think money is the only important metric. What about ethics? Pride in your work? Not boning some crazy internet hag and then pretending her bad art is fabulous just so she doesn't shop you to your wife?

Still, you've drunk the Kool-Aide and probably even think TSR isn't sharing your paypal info. Move along.

SolaceDevotio
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2009 July 31, 00:48:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Faded, do you have any idea of their history?  Don't assume this is the only questionable thing that have ever happened.  Don't assume there is no history that leads people to question them now.
Faded
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2009 July 31, 00:52:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I read it, it was full of stupid platitudes, about your reductionist life and how you think money is the only important metric. What about ethics? Pride in your work? Not boning some crazy internet hag and then pretending her bad art is fabulous just so she doesn't shop you to your wife?

Still, you've drunk the Kool-Aide and probably even think TSR isn't sharing your paypal info. Move along.

Wow, I never said anything like that. You all are just blowing assumptions.
No, money is not the only important thing. Pride in your work and so forth and so on, fantastic. Did I ever say TSR was marvelous? No. I never said I was even a fan of the site.

But, please do keep on insulting me for no reason at all, even though all I've done was said that people are overreacting. I haven't been insulting anyone (even though I'm being attacked).

Faded, do you have any idea of their history?  Don't assume this is the only questionable thing that have ever happened.  Don't assume there is no history that leads people to question them now.

No, I did not know there was any sort of history, I've never heard anything about that.
All that I know is the time I used TSR, nothing bad happened to me.

Maybe they've changed for the worse (like I said, I've never heard anything about their history, I guess they've changed since I used it, in which case, it saddens me.)
« Last Edit: 2009 July 31, 01:03:41 by Faded » Logged
CheritaChen
Corpulent Cretin

INFP

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2009 July 31, 01:02:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Users of TSR are not stupid (as so many of the fanboys here seem to think).

I might agree that not all TSRers are stupid, but that also is moderately dependent upon one's definition of stupidity.

There IS such a thing as not wanting to spend hours at a time making, obtaining or installing additional content for a videogame. Hence, they're willing to use a Paysite ("Time is Money, Friends"). It has nothing to do with "stupid" so much as "just don't care to spend gross amounts of time".

In this case, I'd lean more toward "ignorant" than "stupid," as in, those who have half a brain and haven't discovered alternative sources for these materials are simply ignorant. Those who have, and still prefer to pay for something that the creators and distributors are legally not permitted to profit from, would be classified as stupid.

I happen to agree that the issue with this purported "spyware/malware" was completely exaggerated here, but so what? MATY seems to be all about drama. And I'm not convinced of TSR's innocence as I, too, tend to consider history a good indicator of probable intent. They've done nefarious things with user info before; I have no reason to believe it is beyond them to do it again.

But, please do keep on insulting me for no reason at all, even though all I've done was said that people are overreacting. I haven't been insulting anyone (even though I'm being attacked).

If you find rohina's reaction surprising or offensive, take this advice: Pretend you never found this forum. It is not a place for you.
Faded
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2009 July 31, 01:11:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Users of TSR are not stupid (as so many of the fanboys here seem to think).

I might agree that not all TSRers are stupid, but that also is moderately dependent upon one's definition of stupidity.

There IS such a thing as not wanting to spend hours at a time making, obtaining or installing additional content for a videogame. Hence, they're willing to use a Paysite ("Time is Money, Friends"). It has nothing to do with "stupid" so much as "just don't care to spend gross amounts of time".

In this case, I'd lean more toward "ignorant" than "stupid," as in, those who have half a brain and haven't discovered alternative sources for these materials are simply ignorant. Those who have, and still prefer to pay for something that the creators and distributors are legally not permitted to profit from, would be classified as stupid.

I happen to agree that the issue with this purported "spyware/malware" was completely exaggerated here, but so what? MATY seems to be all about drama. And I'm not convinced of TSR's innocence as I, too, tend to consider history a good indicator of probable intent. They've done nefarious things with user info before; I have no reason to believe it is beyond them to do it again.

If you find rohina's reaction surprising or offensive, take this advice: Pretend you never found this forum. It is not a place for you.

Thank you Cherita, I appreciate this. Smiley

Like I said above, I never have heard of TSR doing anything like that before I came here. History is a good indicator, I would have to agree there, for sure. It's just that no one has ever pulled me aside and told me anything. I'll certainly be more wary of ever using that site again, knowing there is a bad history, for sure.

I do realize there are lots of sites out there for content, it's just one of those things though that you find it through a network of other sites. I didn't know that there was a large collection of goodies here though (being this is the first time I've ever been here - directed from the ModTheSims site!) and I do like!  Grin

I'll definitely be filling my hard drive now. Cherita, you simply rock. Smiley
« Last Edit: 2009 July 31, 01:24:22 by Faded » Logged
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2009 July 31, 01:24:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Faded, do you have any idea of their history?  Don't assume this is the only questionable thing that have ever happened.  Don't assume there is no history that leads people to question them now.

No, I did not know there was any sort of history, I've never heard anything about that.
All that I know is the time I used TSR, nothing bad happened to me.

Maybe they've changed for the worse (like I said, I've never heard anything about their history, I guess they've changed since I used it, in which case, it saddens me.)

Oh, so you are an ignoramus as well as fucktard. Go get someone to read coconut's blog to you, and then come back when you have educated yourself.

Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2009 July 31, 02:03:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Users of TSR are not stupid (as so many of the fanboys here seem to think). There IS such a thing as not wanting to spend hours at a time making, obtaining or installing additional content for a videogame. Hence, they're willing to use a Paysite ("Time is Money, Friends"). It has nothing to do with "stupid" so much as "just don't care to spend gross amounts of time".

Why pay for something that is supposed to be free?

There is plenty of good quality FREE CC out there, much of it of better quality than the stuff at TSR.  You do have a choice you know: the choice between spending time browsing TSR for CC that costs you money and spending the same amount of time browsing free sites for CC that will cost you nothing.  One of these options is definitely smarter than the other, and it's not the TSR option.

Go and read Coconut's blog to find out what TSR have done in the past.  Just because nobody pulled you aside personally and made a point of specifically telling you about their past shenanigans doesn't mean those events didn't happen.  Those events include sharing user's paypal information and encouraging other paysite owners to do the same.  Then there's the question of how someone at TSR (or possibly someone hacking TSR's database as was initially claimed by TSR, although they later backed down from that claim) managed to access TSR's member database to acquire the login details of a creator from MTS2 as well as the login details of one of the owners of TSR.

TSR have already demonstrated that they are not to be trusted with user information.  I'm not going to give them a back door into my system, whether they're likely to use it or not, or whether it is currently used or not.  I'm just not naive enough to believe that they've reformed from their bad habits.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
crunk
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2009 July 31, 02:08:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, has anyone else heard that Shan0w's photobucket images were replaced with less than family friendly materials within a short amount of time of his TSR tool screenshots surfacing?
Faded
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2009 July 31, 02:14:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why pay for something that is supposed to be free?

There is plenty of good quality FREE CC out there, much of it of better quality than the stuff at TSR.  You do have a choice you know: the choice between spending time browsing TSR for CC that costs you money and spending the same amount of time browsing free sites for CC that will cost you nothing.  One of these options is definitely smarter than the other, and it's not the TSR option.

Go and read Coconut's blog to find out what TSR have done in the past.  Just because nobody pulled you aside personally and made a point of specifically telling you about their past shenanigans doesn't mean those events didn't happen.  Those events include sharing user's paypal information and encouraging other paysite owners to do the same.  Then there's the question of how someone at TSR (or possibly someone hacking TSR's database as was initially claimed by TSR, although they later backed down from that claim) managed to access TSR's member database to acquire the login details of a creator from MTS2 as well as the login details of one of the owners of TSR.

TSR have already demonstrated that they are not to be trusted with user information.  I'm not going to give them a back door into my system, whether they're likely to use it or not, or whether it is currently used or not.  I'm just not naive enough to believe that they've reformed from their bad habits.

Thank you, Kyna! I'll definitely be reading that when I get a chance.

I keep my computer locked down pretty good as adware/antivirus goes (as well as a very strong, protected router), it's beginning to look like those measures I've taken for ages now are the reason I didn't see anything bad happen to me by TSR.  Undecided
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2009 July 31, 06:16:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's just that no one has ever pulled me aside and told me anything.
My apologies. I must have missed Pull Faded Aside and Inform About TSR's Nefarious Acts Day. It was right after that festival. You know, the one with the cheap jewelry vendors and the pierogis and the Verizon booth and the beer. I was sleeping it off and forgot to look at the calendar.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
dowens
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2009 July 31, 19:00:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So everything from TSR that has been pulled  to more awesome than you has been "cleaned" of their messiness at TSR?

I personally have not downloaded anything for TS3 at TSR. I read their forums, but I have never been directed to another site from there. Personally I do not care either way since I plan on spending NO MONEY there at all.

Also, I would like to read coconut's blog. Who is coconut? And where is this blog?
keirra
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2009 July 31, 19:06:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://tsr.mustbedestroyed.org/

Prepare to be disgusted.
dowens
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2009 July 31, 19:18:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks. What is SFV site they keep talking about? Also how do they know who is downloading from Paysites Must Be Destroyed?
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2009 July 31, 19:26:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

SFV was Sims File Vault, a sort of precursor of PMBD. Now that task is covered at Sims Cave, Sharing Area.

Also how do they know who is downloading from Paysites Must Be Destroyed?

They don't, actually.
They could, in the beginning, because they embed a code/stamp (sort of) in their packages. Just like Peggy and Rose. Those files are presently disinfected at PMBD before being put in the booty for download, so they're safe.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: