More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 18:12:51

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  BREAKING NEWS: TSR INSTALLS SPYWARE!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: TSR INSTALLS SPYWARE!  (Read 103590 times)
Korochuun
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: BREAKING NEWS: TSR INSTALLS SPYWARE!
« Reply #25 on: 2009 July 21, 17:13:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I posted a link to this thread on GOS but apparently it got deleted.
It makes me wonder if some people are ignorant enough not to listen when someone shouts SPYWARE!. I personally think you should listen to things like that.. but pah, it's my fault for trying to share a heads up. Their computers.
... I'm going to go install more virus killers.
jaccirocker
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2009 July 21, 17:54:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Avast does rock. Also I thank God I come here before I go to T$R.

mooose
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2009 July 21, 17:59:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It makes me wonder if some people are ignorant enough not to listen when someone shouts SPYWARE!. I personally think you should listen to things like that.. but pah, it's my fault for trying to share a heads up. Their computers.
I thought they Disliked TSR there...
Oh well..
If someone had the technological Savvy to remove the spyware from TSR's Program and repost it somewhere else.. That would be Hilarious.To be a fly on the wall...
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2009 July 21, 18:00:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think that is really shady for places, even TSR, to delete posts and threads. If someone is being inflammatory or insulting then tell them to tone it down (unless it's here, and then tell them MOAR!!) but to just out and out yank a post like it never existed makes it look like you are trying to hide or cover something up.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Drakron
Anime Fapper
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2009 July 21, 18:16:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Simsecret is open until Friday.

It makes me wonder if some people are ignorant enough not to listen when someone shouts SPYWARE!.

Maybe because people are stupid, especially the ones that shout spyware despite having no evidence?

I personally think you should listen to things like that.. but pah, it's my fault for trying to share a heads up. Their computers.

So you found out that the workshop uses a retarded setup and initiates a Internet connection.

So does STEAM ...

I fucking hate STEAM.

Spyware would indicate it would "collect information about users, their computer or browsing habits without their informed consent", being set to launch on setup is not doing that beyond being retarded annoying, like STEAM.

Yes ... go do that because its a GREAT idea to have more that one anti-virus program running at the same time, its not as if its a unnecessary waste of resources or if they will interfere with each out ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh and before someone gives me shit about this ... I would advice not using TSR workshop program because its from TSR that have no experience on that matter.

Also I dislike people that spread panic, especially ones that are bandwagon jumpers as I know how ranting on TSR is popular but when I make a accusation I try to be sure that is actually true.

The Internet being a reflection of the human soul is filled with virus and malaware, I do not fear it because I have my computer shielded with adequate protection and I only got fucked up when I did a STUPID STUPID STUPID thing despite Avast warning me.

In short, chances are you have virus (that is the plural of virus STOP RAPING THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE!) and/or malaware.
« Last Edit: 2009 July 21, 18:41:27 by Drakron » Logged
Panastasia
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2009 July 21, 18:26:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In short, chances are you have virus (that is the plural of virus STOP RAPING THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE!) and/or malaware.

Wait - virus is the plural of virus?   Cry
Britney
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2009 July 21, 18:34:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No. It's viruses.
SolaceDevotio
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2009 July 21, 18:35:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wait - virus is the plural of virus?   Cry

no
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/virus
SolaceDevotio
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2009 July 21, 18:49:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only acceptable plural form for virus is viruses.
The word does come from Latin, but does not have a recorded plural form. If it had one, it would be *vira, as virus is a neuter word. It would never be viri, that's the plural second declension of the masc. noun 'vir', man.

And *virii is complete nonsense.

Awwww.  You gotta love a man who knows his Latin.
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: 2009 July 21, 19:19:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is that a very recent build of the program?  The one I've been using has a differently named .exe and ZoneAlarm has never reported that it attempted to access the internet, nor have any of the several anti-malware programs I run regularly turned up any issues.

ETA:  Okay, apparently that version was released today and added massive new functionality to the tool.  The older version (that only included the plugin for making new patterns) scans clean according to VirusTotal, ThreatFire, SpywareDoctor, and Malwarebytes, so anyone who's been using it can probably continue to do so without fear.

In light of this report, the following sections of the EULA for the thing take on a rather ominous tone, as does the fact that the download page for the program makes a special point of directing the user to go read it before downloading:

• 5. NO WARRANTIES
    IBIBI HB expressly disclaims any warranty for the SOFTWARE PRODUCT. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is provided 'As Is' without any express or implied warranty of any kind, including but not limited to any warranties of merchantability, noninfringement, or fitness of a particular purpose. IBIBI HB does not warrant or assume responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of any information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within the SOFTWARE PRODUCT. IBIBI HB makes no warranties respecting any harm that may be caused by the transmission of a computer virus, worm, time bomb, logic bomb, or other such computer program.  IBIBI HB further expressly disclaims any warranty or representation to Authorized Users or to any third party.
  • 6. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
    In no event shall IBIBI HB be liable for any damages (including, without limitation, lost profits, business interruption, or lost information) rising out of 'Authorized Users' use of or inability to use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, even if IBIBI HB has been advised of the possibility of such damages. In no event will IBIBI HB be liable for loss of data or for indirect, special, incidental, consequential (including lost profit), or other damages based in contract, tort or otherwise. IBIBI HB shall have no liability with respect to the content of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT or any part thereof, including but not limited to errors or omissions contained therein, libel, infringements of rights of publicity, privacy, trademark rights, business interruption, personal injury, loss of privacy, moral rights or the disclosure of confidential information.

* AmberDiceless looks to jfade for an explanation.
« Last Edit: 2009 July 21, 19:43:11 by AmberDiceless » Logged

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2009 July 21, 19:19:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The word does come from Latin, but does not have a recorded plural form. If it had one, it would be *vira, as virus is a neuter word. It would never be viri, that's the plural second declension of the masc. noun 'vir', man.

And *virii is complete nonsense.

Correct, and I'll add more: virus (poison, in Latin) is a noun of the second declension (like vir), but it's a special case, as it retains the -us ending in subject, accusative and vocative case. It also doesn't have an own form for the other three cases, and it uses the synonym venenum instead. So there's no "viri", nor "viro", but the full (singular) correct declension is: virus, veneni, veneno, virus, virus, veneno.
Also (again), a plural form doesn't exist at all - virus is a singularia tantum (single only) noun.
In short, in Latin (and Italian) is indeclinable; in Italian we use the singular form (virus) with the plural article (i), but I assume that in English it's different, also because there's no different singular or plural article.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2009 July 21, 20:25:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love that ya'll are getting all defensive about the validity of "viruses" while ignoring who said it was incorrect. Drakron. Drakron is ESL, and unlike many of the excellent ESL posters we have here, still suffers from awkward sentence structure and rampant grammatical errors. He has no leg on which to stand.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2009 July 21, 22:10:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mike, empty your inbox, would you please?

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2009 July 21, 22:26:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not that I'm very happy at the moment with TSR (I am not - their ads are full of redirects that take over your browser, etc.).

However, NOD32 from Eset scans that program as clean - no virus, no malware. I am running Eset's latest build with the latest update.

Not passing any judgment on the TSR program itself...but, apparently some anti-virus programs are more prone to giving 'false positive' readings.

Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2009 July 22, 00:10:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have to leap to the defense of the word virii, not because it is correct or even appropriate, but because it is just cool, the way "fambly" is cool, i.e., a nonsense corruption of an otherwise decent word made for the sheer pleasure of indulging in corruption.  

Likewise, I defend to the death the word penii as the plural of penis.  Yes, I know, penis doesn't end with a -us, but let's not be picayune.  Penii has many uses, for instance, in describing mutant genitalia.  "And so it came to pass that their baby was born one dark, stormy night, bearing ten itty-bitty fingers, ten perfect itty-bitty toes, each like polished pink pearls, and two clear and unmistakeable penii, one pointing left, one right, like a bi-plane propeller."

Medusa stared at the two creatures approaching her across the Piazza and, instantly recognizing them as Spanish Gorgons, attempted to stall them by greeting them in their native tongue, "Gorgons, Hola!"
Viscountess
coconnor
Horrible Halfwit

Meh ....

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2009 July 22, 01:20:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Likewise, I defend to the death the word penii as the plural of penis.  Yes, I know, penis doesn't end with a -us, but let's not be picayune.  Penii has many uses, for instance, in describing mutant genitalia.  "And so it came to pass that their baby was born one dark, stormy night, bearing ten itty-bitty fingers, ten perfect itty-bitty toes, each like polished pink pearls, and two clear and unmistakeable penii, one pointing left, one right, like a bi-plane propeller."

Oh noe!  I have an image of that one now ...!   Shocked Smiley

In the (should be) immortal words of Ron White:  "You can't fix stupid!"
wes_h
Knuckleheaded Knob

Lady on Rancho Como

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2009 July 22, 02:10:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Drakron is ESL, and unlike many of the excellent ESL posters we have here, still suffers from awkward sentence structure and rampant grammatical errors. He has no leg on which to stand.

Mean. ESL is curable, and preferable to silence.

I don't think TSR's tool (which is totally absent from the ranch here) will be anywhere close to complete as long as they use the .obj format for transferring meshes, as that format does not support bone assignments and skin weights. And we have all seen on the hair meshes, including the EA produced ones, how important proper assignments and weighting are to overall quality.

So I think it is only a fitting punishment that pay meshers will have to use the TSR tool, since my stuff is not licensed for commercial use. But you can be assured my programs and plugins will never require an internet connection to phone home with.
Hawg
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2009 July 22, 02:58:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Total shitheads. Damn them with this spyware.

Mind you, maybe they want to be just like daddy (EA).
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2009 July 22, 06:55:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have to leap to the defense of the word virii

"Virii" (like "penii") is correct when using The Rule Of Funny.

At any rate, if you have more than one virus, you have bigger problems than worrying about what the correct plural form of the word would be, IMHO. For one, if infected, you probably stupidly wandered over to TSR after being fully warned in advance, and probably need a minder and a HELMUT with a chinstrap.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
nanacake
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2009 July 22, 08:11:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mac users you should already have little snitch or something else blocking internet connections.
Can mac users even use this TSR tool? I wouldn't use it in any context.

For windows I have comodo firewall, it's extremely paranoid setting works great and if you can't learn how to write port rules maybe you should let someone else set up your internets. You have no one to blame but yourself if you download applications blindly. It's not surprising paysites give it the very least effort whereas the enthusiasts and the community who give it away for free have the best quality.

TS3 is going to be hell of a lot more picky about your modified content, so it isn't really hard to see the light this time. I don't like having to reinstall my games every five days, so I make backups, I read about what it is I'm actually sticking in there first and stick with creators who listen to feedback/update. I think some ignorant people imagine computing is magical powers that they have a right to service (paying for or not), and such things as hair helmets are from the computer gods of course- wonderful things, not photoshopped L&P cloned alpha edit EA hair that costs 4.99. Can't wait for what kind of abomination of payshit comes first.  Roll Eyes How I cringe at remembering watching someone opening her computer and ripping the video card out to wash it in warm water. No, I'm not saying TSR users are that stupid at all /sarcasm

Malwarebytes and Avast/Avira should be all you need after that.
liegenschonheit
Garrulous Gimp

Mmmm...brains

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2009 July 22, 09:22:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought they Disliked TSR there...
Oh well..
If someone had the technological Savvy to remove the spyware from TSR's Program and repost it somewhere else.. That would be Hilarious.To be a fly on the wall...

I just want to clarify that the official GoS stance on TSR is that it sucks. Also, we currently are hosting a thread that was posted by Pescado on the topic. I can't speak for everyone of course, but I am waiting to hear more about this; what it does and how to kill it. I don't think anyone in their right mind would endorse viruses and spyware being installed on their machines.
Drakron
Anime Fapper
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2009 July 22, 16:39:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, TSR sucks ... if you actually download their wonderful FAILshop items you find out they are in Sims3pack format and so you must use the launcher.

And there is were the fun starts, some of then do not install as others install so its a fucking big mess.

(Edit:the launcher was just being rEtArded with uninstall)
minidoxigirli
Feckless Fool

ESFP- I'm a speshul snowflake

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2009 July 22, 16:58:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So I'm still confused.  What is this spyware attempting to do?

My claim to Sims fame?  I was featured as a Sims 2 fan on an MTV show about The Urbz.  I'm badass like that.
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2009 July 22, 17:56:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So I'm still confused.  What is this spyware attempting to do?
From the GOS thread:

-On installation the program adds itself to the startup registry without asking permission. This means by default it will try to launch every time Windows does. (I didn't screencap this 'alert')

-When launching the program, the  "Attempts to communicate with the internet" alert popped up. This is so the program can show you the latest subscriber downloads available on TSR, as well as offer you 30% off a subscription. This connection between the workshop and TSR is always open, the program launches with Windows if you remember.

Screencap of tool full of ads: http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj211/ShanOw0/tsrtool.jpg

- When using the various 'features' or saving a file using the tool, the program library injection alert popped up.

Does anybody know if they're using spyware in their downloads as well?

Edited because I can't fucking type. *smacks forehead*
« Last Edit: 2009 July 22, 21:47:12 by Sigmund » Logged

I sing along with elevator music.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2009 July 22, 19:23:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sheesh, only a sixth of that is actually the program!

Basically, it's taking up system resources when it doesn't need to. It's leaving a port open to TSR all the time, which most likely isn't being used for any sinister purpose. However, you as the user aren't being given the option to deny this usage of system and internet resources. Plus, it's TSR. I wouldn't trust them with a connection to my computer any further than I can throw them.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: