More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 02:08:31

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  question: garden inside
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: question: garden inside  (Read 12165 times)
jjsy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
question: garden inside
« on: 2009 July 20, 16:28:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have this problem with "internal" gardens.

I built a house with an enclosed (but no roof) area which I wanted to reserve for gardening, however, when I tried to plant, I get rejected by the message "must be outside".  Is there anything I can do to make the exposed plot be recognized as "outside"? Or is there any debug command/cheat or mod that I can use to plant stuff "inside"?  Or is it even possible to be changed via modding?

Any helpful info/advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
Re: question: garden inside
« Reply #1 on: 2009 July 20, 16:32:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can't you knock a piece of wall out so it's not completely enclosed, then plant, then put it back on when you are done or something like that? If that doesn't work then maybe try that and taking the roof off?

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 July 20, 17:39:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One of the tricks used to create an "exposed" enclosed courtyard is to first, jack the entire house up on a foundation, then blow a hole through the foundation, so that on the ground level, it is unwalled, but the house appears visibly enclosed.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
JBoat
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 July 20, 17:52:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One of the tricks used to create an "exposed" enclosed courtyard is to first, jack the entire house up on a foundation, then blow a hole through the foundation, so that on the ground level, it is unwalled, but the house appears visibly enclosed.
Yep, this.  Exact;y the same trick I used on the current piece of property I'm building.  Has a basement level for the manor that has both a pond and a sunken garden.  Sinking the garden a bit was necessary so that trees planted there didn't show up through the floor above.

jjsy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 July 20, 17:59:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

thanks all for the replies.  It confirmed that what I am attempting is atm impossible.  The foundation trick is good when the hole can get covered with stairs, but unfortunately, it does not work for houses without (the theme I am using will be spoilt by foundations Smiley ).  I guess I am only wait for some greenhouse expansion.  In the mean time, back to the design plans to see if a "hole or two" can be introduced discreetly.

thanks all again!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 July 20, 18:04:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We'll always have moveobjects.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
chaos
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 July 21, 03:20:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can confirm that using the moveobjects cheat works. One of my sims has a completely enclosed greenhouse, and it works fine with moveobjects on.

IN T/F J/P. Yeah, I know.
jjsy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 July 21, 09:10:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the tip.  If I understand correctly, does it mean that if I turn moveobjects on, in Live mode, I will be able to plant whatever plant "indoors"?

Sims 3 toasted my notebook.... display totally dead. sent it for repair... prob overworked the gfx card (nvidia 7000+ GO series I think)...  Notebook users out there, beware!
ZeKat
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 July 21, 10:00:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the tip.  If I understand correctly, does it mean that if I turn moveobjects on, in Live mode, I will be able to plant whatever plant "indoors"?

No, but you can plant them outside, then move them inside with the cheat.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 July 21, 10:16:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, I could have sworn I have planted stuff into an area which was completely enclosed by a foundation and walls, but no roof. No cheats used. I may have been dreaming.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
jjsy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 July 21, 15:40:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Then I think I should rework the design of the house such that the garden can be logically "outside" but visually inside.  I'll just take that as a challenge Smiley as opposed to planting outside then moving stuff in... well.. partially because for this particular house I'm building, there are no bare terrain squares outside... lol.

But then, no Sims 3 for me till I get by notebook repaired... wish I had some "Handiness" skill so that I can fix laptops within a couple of hours at home by myself...
KarateKari
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 July 21, 15:47:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims 3 toasted my notebook.... display totally dead. sent it for repair... prob overworked the gfx card (nvidia 7000+ GO series I think)...  Notebook users out there, beware!

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,15585.msg451058.html#msg451058
cefwyn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 July 21, 19:35:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In reference to that link, If you graphics card running a game without VSync is enough to kill it then you have far more serious problems as your not allowing for enough airflow through the case. With a laptop this is difficult to fix and you probably will need to adjust your driver to force VSync and limit your time playing games (Laptops aren't really designed for games anyways, even if they call it a gaming laptop). For most common PC cases you can easily achieve this by ensuring that you have a fan blowing out of the case as well as into the case from back to front or back to top, and ensure that the exhaust fan is more powerful then the intake fan in the case of a typical graphics card's fan assisted heatsink, or if the heatsink is fanless then the intake fan should be stronger then the exhaust fan. This of course means that if your silly enough to have to have the latest and greatest graphics cards then you need the biggest and baddest cooling fans or fork over the money for a decent water cooling system.
Writin_Reg
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 July 21, 20:20:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a suggestion for your enclosed garden, which worked in Sims 2 for me - I used the model from the EA/Maxis elder Monty's Spanish style house in Veronaville, sometimes putting the fenced and gated opening to the rear of the house so I could have the appropiate front entrances I wanted. I created both Spanish Villa's with enclosed gardens and Japanese style Pagoda houses with oriental gardens which looked and worked fine.

I have not tried building these styles of homes in Sims 3 yet, but I can't see any reason it wouldn't work. If i recall the house was actually easier to do in houses at ground level than those on a foundation.  I'd also suggest you may want to get your Sim to plant the garden before you enclose the court yard with the Gate and 2 section fence, and maybe the roof as well. I seem to recall the Sims didn't seem to cooperate sometimes if I waited to move them on the lot until after the house was finished and instructed them to plant. I never took the time to find out if it was the gate or the roof making them refuse to plant in any enclosure but a green house - I just know they would cooperate when the roof and the fence/gate weren't on the house yet.
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 July 22, 05:45:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I blew the foundation base out of the Goth Manor garden room and ran a wall around the base to cover the hole - works a treat - plus that greenhouse/chess room is no longer a massive suck of undecorated moodlets.

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
Batman
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 July 25, 17:54:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Isn't there an EA house in the neighborhood with some sort of "outside" room.. its a modernish one with the pool.. and it is completely covered by walls.. bah I'll have to get on and tell ya the address.

twallan
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 July 25, 18:15:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Isn't there an EA house in the neighborhood with some sort of "outside" room.. its a modernish one with the pool.. and it is completely covered by walls.. bah I'll have to get on and tell ya the address.

If you are referring to the "Pondcentric - 2br, 1ba" house, that uses a foundation to surround its outdoor pool.  It then attaches this "interior pond" to the outside by leaving a hole under the house.  As previously noted in the thread, this is works properly.

Good Day. Smiley
chaos
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 July 25, 21:47:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I built a greenhouse, the main house had a foundation, with no holes in it, but the greenhouse was on flat ground. Using the moveobjects cheat allowed me to have my sim plant directly inside the greenhouse, on top of a "dirt" floor (sims will complain if there's no floor in an enclosed space). I didn't have to use any special tricks to achieve this.

IN T/F J/P. Yeah, I know.
cuthbert
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 July 31, 07:10:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you are referring to the "Pondcentric - 2br, 1ba" house, that uses a foundation to surround its outdoor pool.  It then attaches this "interior pond" to the outside by leaving a hole under the house.  As previously noted in the thread, this is works properly.

Good Day. Smiley
I think Batman referred to Modernehaus. It has a small, enclosed, sand-covered area with some plant and benches.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: