More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 07:07:27

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Gender-confused newspaper kids? Or me being ignorant?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Gender-confused newspaper kids? Or me being ignorant?  (Read 11663 times)
pbox
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
Gender-confused newspaper kids? Or me being ignorant?
« on: 2009 July 20, 16:16:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This may or may not be an actual issue, but I suddenly have a newspaper kid in my game that looks like a boy but is named "Tracy". To me "Tracy" has always been a girl's name, but then I'm ESL so perhaps I'm mistaken. Anyone feel like enlightening me?
Georgette
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: Gender-confused newspaper kids? Or me being ignorant?
« Reply #1 on: 2009 July 20, 16:20:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Apparently it was popular in the 1950s - 19080s in America, according to this site.
http://www.babynameshub.com/baby-names-boys/Tracey.html

I personally have never come across a male Tracy, but I'm English. Maybe it's not popular over here.

simmilk
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 July 20, 16:23:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tracy is male or female.  I work with a male Tracy.  

http://wiki.name.com/en/Tracy

...Tracy Morgan

editing for clarity... I do not work with Tracy Morgan ... I just wanted to offer a celeb as an example. Smiley
« Last Edit: 2009 July 20, 16:32:43 by simmilk » Logged
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 July 20, 16:30:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've heard of it for males, but I also have had names in my game cross gender barriers that I distinctly have never heard in real life.

Some people claimed on another thread here somewhere that insane sims have a chance to name their babies gender inappropriate names or some such.

No idea if it's true or a sim wive's tale, but I have definitely come across some gender inappropriate names being generated.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Peggy_Leggy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 July 20, 16:32:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've known at least two men named Tracy.
GelatinousSubstance
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 July 20, 16:51:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to work with a guy named Tracy. He was a real dick.

Doctor: "He was lucky... He was shot in the 90% of the brain that he wasn't using..."

There is no shame in not being ashamed.
jrcaporal
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 July 20, 21:37:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to work with a guy named Tracy. He was a real dick.

LMAO

Nothing to see here.
Zoltan
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 July 20, 23:05:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheesy  oh man...I should have been expecting that one, but I wasnt  Cheesy
Roxxy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 July 21, 02:28:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In my game I have had females with the following names;

Christopher
Parker

and males named;

Carol
Tracy
Angel
Lynne

I guess there is probably somewhere someone named with these gender neutral names, but they are very much uncommon and in my opinion quite odd.

A high post count, proves nothing... your behaviour and actions speak much louder.
SolaceDevotio
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 July 21, 02:57:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Christopher
Parker

and males named;

Carol
Tracy
Angel
Lynne

I guess there is probably somewhere someone named with these gender neutral names, but they are very much uncommon and in my opinion quite odd.

Carol, Tracy, Angel, and Lynne can definitely be boys names!  They are somewhat common, especially Angel for a boy in the highly Spanish speaking population where I come from.  Parker can totally be female.  But Christopher on a girl?  No.
Kerryee
Blathering Buffoon

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 July 21, 03:05:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Was informed by my story mod today that there was a male baby born into my neighborhood named Amanda.  Not ever in my life have I heard of Amanda being a gen-neutral name.
GelatinousSubstance
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 July 21, 03:10:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, it is fitting: a-man-duh!

Doctor: "He was lucky... He was shot in the 90% of the brain that he wasn't using..."

There is no shame in not being ashamed.
Roxxy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 July 21, 07:13:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Christopher
Parker

and males named;

Carol
Tracy
Angel
Lynne

Carol, Tracy, Angel, and Lynne can definitely be boys names!  They are somewhat common, especially Angel for a boy in the highly Spanish speaking population where I come from.  Parker can totally be female.  But Christopher on a girl?  No.

Oh I don't doubt it, and I was thinking when I typed this up that Angel was probably common in Latin speaking communities as a name.    I read on another thread, someone mentioned that they knew a coworker who's baby girl was named Christopher and how much they liked the name.   These names are gender neutral no doubt, but still some are not very common.

A high post count, proves nothing... your behaviour and actions speak much louder.
knightablaze
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 July 21, 08:14:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Then there's the ultimately unfortunate situation of having two girl's names: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracy_Morgan...
caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 July 21, 14:11:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Charlotte Bronte wrote a novel called 'Shirley' in the 1840s. The title character, Shirley Keeldar, is a young woman whose parents wanted a son, so they gave her a boy's name, Shirley. Throughout the book, jokes are made about this girl's masculine name.
A lot of names we now think of as being exclusively female were actually once exclusively male names.
pbox
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 July 21, 20:15:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow, live and learn =).

"Angel", actually, I can see -- there is the Italian "Angelo" after all, and an Engel (german for the mythical figure) is gramatically male, as well. Italian names are often quite confusing for germans though, since in German pretty much anything ending in a vowel will be regarded as female -- "Andrea" for example is a common german female name, but in Italian it's male. German naming rules (this is Germany, we have laws for that, in case you weren't aware =P) are very strict, which probably added to my confusion -- one basic rule is that gender must be apparent from a person's name, the very few ambiguous names we have can only be used as a second name.

We don't have that in German at all, but "speaking names" or whatever the proper term is for that -- Hope, Joy, Grace, and such -- I would assume would be gender neutral anyway ("Angel" isn't quite the same thing, but pretty close in my eyes).

And I didn't know Tracy Morgan -- the first Tracy that came to my mind was Tracy Chapman.
« Last Edit: 2009 July 21, 20:30:08 by pbox » Logged
Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 July 21, 20:27:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I remember within the first hour of playing TS3, my sim's townie lover named their baby daughter Joey. Now I know that it can be a girl's name, but it just screamed fail to me how the game chose that particular name out of all the possible female (and indeed femenine) names.
Writin_Reg
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 July 21, 20:30:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, but Tracy Chapman is female.
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 July 21, 20:58:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know a young man whose first and middle names are Tracy Lynn.  I'd never heard Lynn as a man's name until I moved to the rural midwest.  Now I live in the south, and there are at least two male Lynns in our organization.  (Notably, neither go by Lynn; they answer to their middle names).  Tracy, I'd heard for males before, but it is also one of my names (I have a plethora of middle names), and despite what Pescado says, I am female.

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
Swiftgold
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 July 21, 22:04:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Had a townie toddler with close-cropped hair named Stacey and I finally found out it was a guy when he became a teenager recently. I wonder if one of the parents had the Inappropriate trait, now that I think of it, because I believe someone mentioned that Sims with those traits might autonomously give their kid a name from the wrong gender's list...
caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 July 21, 23:22:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Like Tracy, Stacey can be a guy's name. I had an uncle Stacey, and there's an actor named Stacy Keach.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: