More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 08:55:10

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  Pudding Factory
| | |-+  Three TS2 Bedding Patterns for TS3 (UPDATED)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Three TS2 Bedding Patterns for TS3 (UPDATED)  (Read 15900 times)
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
Three TS2 Bedding Patterns for TS3 (UPDATED)
« on: 2009 July 15, 04:21:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As we all know, most of the Maxis bedding in TS2 was about as attractive as a barrel of nicely-aged yak vomit.  Of those few patterns that conscience actually permitted me to inflict on my Sims, I discovered that several are not particularly well-suited to being tiled for use in TS3.  However, here are three that I managed to convert, or at least adapt.

The hunting quilt has 3 recolorable subsets, the pink quilt has 4, and the cream bedspread has 2.  Please note that these were made using the TSR pattern tool, and for reasons unknown to me they do not play well with jfade's Compressorizer Redux or Pes's Recompressor.  They will probably quit functioning if put through those tools.  So don't.  :p

ETA:  The cream and pink ones are both found in the Fabric category and the hunting quilt is under Themed.

These are presented as .package files, not .sims3pack, and go in your Packages folder like other mods.  No Launcher required!

7/15/09:  I fixed a minor texture issue with the hunting quilt (a small black spot near the corner of one of the cream-colored diamonds.)  Re-download if you like; it will overwrite the original file but probably will require resetting any items that are using the pattern.  Sorry for any inconvenience.

8/2/ 09:  I adjusted the base coloring in the pink quilt to more accurately reflect the original.

For my reference, the hunting quilt was download 102 times before the revision and the pink one 238 times.

* Ambular_TS2BeddingCream.rar (196.62 KB - downloaded 820 times.)
* Ambular_TS3BeddingHuntingQuilt.rar (117.44 KB - downloaded 706 times.)
* Ambular_TS2BeddingGirlsQuilt.rar (163.7 KB - downloaded 478 times.)
« Last Edit: 2013 April 20, 04:00:53 by Ambular » Logged

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
nekonoai
Weeaboo
Retarded Reprobate

Hell yeah.

View Profile WWW
Re: Three TS2 Bedding Patterns for TS3
« Reply #1 on: 2009 July 15, 13:26:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*yoinks the hunting quilt*

shesim
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 July 15, 13:31:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

thanks, would like to know just how did you manage to convert them...
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 July 15, 15:52:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Please note that these were made using the TSR pattern tool, and for reasons unknown to me they do not play well with jfade's Compressorizer Redux or Pes's Recompressor.  They will probably quit functioning if put through those tools.  So don't.  :p

A TSR booby trap! Haha.

Thanks for these. The recoloring of TS3 makes a lot less need for me to go out and get tons of bedding, but these patterns make me oddly nostalgic so I will use them.  Grin

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 July 15, 19:32:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Would the Teen Style Stuff beddings work like this? I'd mainly like the butterfly and the silky quilted beddings that were from the goth and socialite sets. I haven't tried making any patterns yet, so I'm not quite sure how they work or if the patterns would convert to TS3.
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2009 July 15, 20:44:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

thanks, would like to know just how did you manage to convert them...

Well, you can use SimPE's Scenegrapher Resource Finder to locate and extract the LIFO images for the beddings from TS2.  Instructions for creating a TS3 pattern are available both at TSR and at MTS using Delphy's Pattern Packager.  I happen to like the TSR utility because it has a really helpful preview function, but I'm sure you could do the same thing with Delphy's tool.  

You can't just grab the whole image and plop it into a new file, unfortunately; the bedding has wrinkle lines and shadows that would look odd if you did.  You have to find one or two good clean instances of each element you want in the new pattern and then arrange them so that they tile seamlessly in the correct order.  If you compare the pink quilt with the TS2 original, you'll see that I cut several pieces out of it and rearranged them completely to get it to work; it's not the identical pattern, only an approximation.

As far as the actual making of the pattern, there's a fair bit of fussing involved to make sure that the channels are cleanly separated.  It can be confusing at first if you're not used to working with channels (I wasn't), but once you get the hang of it it's not too bad.  I did not use HP's vector technique--I just did the whole thing in Photoshop--so these may not be the very highest possible quality, but I'm pretty happy with them.

A TSR booby trap! Haha.

Thanks for these. The recoloring of TS3 makes a lot less need for me to go out and get tons of bedding, but these patterns make me oddly nostalgic so I will use them.  ;D

Actually, although I tend to be rather distrustful of TSR generally, I doubt they intentionally made their tool to break recompression in this case.  The two utilities were developed separately at the same time and probably just suffered an invisible bike crash.  It's annoying, but probably will be rectified sooner or later.

I'm not going to go crazy converting the beddings, as most of them were crap anyway, but it's nice to have a few familiar touches back in the game.  :)
« Last Edit: 2009 July 15, 21:02:49 by AmberDiceless » Logged

Wolfeyes
Furry Yifftard
Retardo Lander

INFJ - 7, Very "F"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 July 15, 21:01:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Smiley  Yay, I LOVE the "Hunting quilt" and this will make my TS3 simmies feel like they're on vacation in the mountains... even when they aren't...  Grin  Thanks so much for adapting these patterns... very N.I.C.E. !   Cool

"Life is not about surviving the storms but rather how to dance in the rain" ~

Luther Vandross ~ Forever, For Always, For Love ~ 2005

Genius - Flirty - Friendly - Good Sense of Humor - Great Kisser ~
fatkitty
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 July 15, 21:27:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm grabbing the cream bedding.  That was my favorite from TS2 and try as I might, with what's available in the game, I just couldn't get anything that looked even remotely close.  Thanks. Wink
Roxxy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 July 15, 23:00:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Two of my favourites, and with a dash of nostalgia.  Thanks for these.

A high post count, proves nothing... your behaviour and actions speak much louder.
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
Re: Three TS2 Bedding Patterns for TS3 (UPDATED)
« Reply #9 on: 2009 July 16, 02:07:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I fixed a minor texture issue with the hunting quilt (a small black spot near the corner of one of the cream-colored diamonds.)  Re-download if you like; it will overwrite the original file but probably will require resetting any items that are using the pattern.  Sorry for any inconvenience.

shesim
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 July 16, 14:13:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

maybe i'll give it a go, great job AmberDiceless.
Srikandi
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 July 17, 05:52:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I happen to like the TSR utility because it has a really helpful preview function, but I'm sure you could do the same thing with Delphy's tool.  

Delphy added a preview a few days after the first release of his tool, too Smiley You might want to pick up the latest version. The advantage of his tool (completely aside from the cooties issue) is that it saves your pattern as .package, instead of .sims3pack as in the case of the TSR tool.

Nice job on these patterns AmberDiceless Smiley
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2009 July 17, 09:38:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I happen to like the TSR utility because it has a really helpful preview function, but I'm sure you could do the same thing with Delphy's tool.  

Delphy added a preview a few days after the first release of his tool, too :) You might want to pick up the latest version. The advantage of his tool (completely aside from the cooties issue) is that it saves your pattern as .package, instead of .sims3pack as in the case of the TSR tool.

Nice job on these patterns AmberDiceless :)

Thank you, I'll go have another look at it.  These are, however, in .package format, not .sims3pack.  I extracted them using jfade's 3Viewer.  :)

M. Ciaster
Asinine Airhead

I'm ISTP. Yay!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 August 02, 16:57:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, thanks! The hunting quilt and the cream one were mine favourites in TS2, and the pink one will suit the girl rooms and such. They all look very nice. Good work, Ambular.

It's not a bug - it's a feature!
Fat D
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 August 02, 23:27:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The cream stuff is pretty much the only style of bedding I use in TS2 nowadays, except for the blue-striped one, a few more excentric ones for kids and the default light blue for when I cannot be arsed to click on the color options or when a sterile look is appropriate.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: