More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 10:10:34

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  File that decides Maxis "townies"' names
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: File that decides Maxis "townies"' names  (Read 38091 times)
Nepheris
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
Re: File that decides Maxis "townies"' names
« Reply #50 on: 2009 August 03, 12:56:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Odd names do not bother me, it's the genderconfused ones that I hate. My whitey sims can go on being a Latoyah or Mei-Lin for all I care, but a sim will *not* be called Carmen while sporting stubble. That's just... no. Do not want.
GypsyKate
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2009 August 03, 13:12:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you, Jordi.  The weird names were making me feel like committing Simicide!
Silverdrake
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: 2009 August 03, 14:53:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like multicultural names, but Bimble has got to go! I'd love to be able to import my own list.
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2009 August 03, 18:04:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd love to be able to import my own list.

I believe that the MTS link above has instructions on how to do this yourself.

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
Ayrell
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2009 August 05, 16:32:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Awesome! Thank you very much!

Jordi, does yours work with all versions (languages) of the game?
Ayrell
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2009 August 06, 00:27:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, that's too bad. Thanks for clarifying. Smiley
Nemamiah
Asinine Airhead

Maybe not...

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2009 August 06, 20:14:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just popping into this thread for a gander and to show what happens when my Sim impregnates random townies:

Jamie Jolina and my first Sim managed to poot out an almighty fuglet though...

I am invisible to everyone but dogs and Jehovah's Witnesses...
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2009 August 06, 20:31:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you think that is bad I switched away from my main house for a bit and when I came back the one sim had dropped her kid and named it Kermit.

Well, he's a toddler now and does do a lot of flailing. Tongue

On a semirelated not to modding the names, it's not possible to replace some of the default string table values without replacing all of them is it?

I ask because I have tweaked a couple of things like changed the name of the "custom" radio station and changed the babysitter to nanny to match the elder babysitter mod I am running, but when I tried to yank out just those values and put a string table in with them I lose all my other strings. I guess it's an all or nothing situation.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2009 August 06, 20:39:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is possible now to just change the namelist. I'm working on an update, should be able to upload it within the next two hours testing permitted Smiley

Oh good news! If you get a chance can you explain how you did it? I'd rather not have to include a whole string table just to change the name of one radio station.  Undecided

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
chann
Corpulent Cretin

TS3: an "eye-opening tour de farce" (sic)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: 2009 August 06, 23:22:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

BTW, channTL's and my list are about 90% identical. I guess we used exactly the same source and just made different choices Cheesy

The majority of the male/last names I found in a baseball game Wink I used the census list as my first source though.
LilMissLoza
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2009 August 10, 19:52:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The mod over at MTS2 is very good, I recommend it to anyone whose game isn't yet contaminated by all the ridiculous preset names.

I still have a Harrison Harrison though, not sure whether this tragedy occurred before or after I installed the mod.

I was a Sim in my previous life, but the player killed me off.
cassblonde
Exasperating Eyesore

Lazy Lurker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: 2009 August 28, 23:07:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pescado has added plug in name STBLs to the Awesome mod - now could someone explain how it works?

I'm an apathetic sociopath, I'd kill you if I cared.
Havelock
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2009 August 29, 07:01:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pescado has added plug in name STBLs to the Awesome mod - now could someone explain how it works?

Got answered in Awesomod discussion/questions/helpful tips thread

The space in the config is for you to enter a key or String ID. Whatever you enter will be the "prefix" that AM will use to load the names. For instance if you enter a generator key like "MyNames" in the MaleNameGeneratorKey box in the config the game will use the names with a key of "MyNames/MaleName:Name#" in the STBL (hashed, of course).
That is correct. The male/female/lastname "keys" may all be the same, or they may all be different, if you happen to be using, at any given time, sets constructed seperately or from different sources. The "default" EA set is "Gameplay/SimNames" for all 3, so those would be using "Gameplay/SimNames/MaleName:Name#", "Gameplay/SimNames/FemaleName:Name#", etc. You can build a namelist using any of the available STBL builders, or I will, at some point when I get around to it, create a simple crappy DOS utility to convert a simple NOTEPAD list into a nametable.

I am also curious about how to enter the name files in the Auto Config. I made my own replacements, but am not entirely sure how to add them in to AwesomeMod. In other words, I do not understand what the Auto Config is asking for.
The AutoConfig is simply asking you to input the core names. If you overrode and replaced the original EA STBL to generate yours, then this method is useless to you. But if you created a new STBL of, say, "EdibleNames/MaleName:Name#", "EdibleNames/FemaleName:Name#", then you would fill in "EdibleNames" (case insensitive) into the entry.

Also, I have all 3 (male/female/last names) combined into one STBL so I was wondering if I needed to change that. If anyone could help, that would be great. Thanks!
Nope, not a problem. The actual distribution of the STBLs is transparent to the engine, so it doesn't matter whether you made each individual name its own STBL, jammed them into the same STBL, or are even using some really WEIRD thing. In fact, the default value of "Gameplay/SimNames" for the standard EAxian names already is in a single STBL.

cassblonde
Exasperating Eyesore

Lazy Lurker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: 2009 August 29, 14:34:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, that would answer it for people who had any idea what it all means. Not so much for me. Ah well ... I'll just keep using the mod I have for names. I know when I'm out of my learning curve.

Thanks, though, for taking the trouble to quote it and everything.

I'm an apathetic sociopath, I'd kill you if I cared.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: