More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 19:40:47

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  is there a way to turn off opporunities or allow the sim to decide themselves?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: is there a way to turn off opporunities or allow the sim to decide themselves?  (Read 21373 times)
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
Re: is there a way to turn off opporunities or allow the sim to decide themselves?
« Reply #25 on: 2009 July 14, 15:42:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Back with TS1 I made a test house and ran it all night, just because I was curious about what kind of trouble my Sims could get themselves into, but I can't imagine doing that sort of thing long-term.

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
fatkitty
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Re: is there a way to turn off opporunities or allow the sim to decide themselves?
« Reply #26 on: 2009 July 14, 15:47:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I've done the same in both TS1 and 2 for testing purposes but never just while I'm playing.  I can't see the point.  To each his own I suppose.
CheritaChen
Corpulent Cretin

INFP

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2009 July 14, 15:58:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

no indie stone works differently,the way indie stone works is that it makes a family run while you're not playing it,
i want the game to NOT pause.

I've not actually tried it, but I still think, based on the online documentation, that this is possible with Indie Stone. They have a feature called a wolfing run:

* Wolfing Run Mode

If you create a single Sim with the surname 'Wolfrun', he will be immortal, his motives will never degrade and there will be no household bills to worry about. Sit him down in front of the TV and he will contently sit there FOREVER. This will allow the rest of the town to progress on high speed indefinitely to allow your population to go through several generations without opportunity pop ups or 'waking up' time slowdowns events.

So in theory, you'd switch to this Wolfrun Sim as the active Sim household before walking away from your machine, and then your other Sims will continue on with their lives.

Like I said, I've not tested the mod at all, but have you even tried it? You never answer that question.

i dont think it would be hard to turn off opportunities as someone have already made an opportunity mod (this one increases the freaquency sadly.)
and to turn off the phone >.<

sadly , i have no experience in modding the sims and would like help.

Help is available all over the place online. Google is your friend. I've seen several modding tutorials, including core modding. The people who hang out here do not react well to posters who don't answer questions, don't try their own solutions first, and come across as unwilling to make an effort themselves. You're lucky no one has barbecued you yet for your complete lack of capitalization.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: is there a way to turn off opporunities or allow the sim to decide themselve
« Reply #28 on: 2009 July 14, 16:16:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anti-popup mode will be researched.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
pbox
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
Re: is there a way to turn off opporunities or allow the sim to decide themselve
« Reply #29 on: 2009 July 14, 17:06:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nuking those silly opportunity popups would be a good thing in general, I think -- not just for people who want to let the game run unattended. They're getting on my nerves as well, because they're so completely retarded. Dude Sim needs ingredients for their meal, when Dude Sim is a *kid*? Yeah right ..  Roll Eyes I'm not using opportunities anyway, but seeing how stupid they are makes them just so much more annoying.
veezee
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2009 July 14, 17:40:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I present to you a quick mod - it would've been tested, but I couldn't be grassed. Simply raises number of days between opportunity calls to 100,000,000 and reduces the weekly opportunity numbers down to 0 from 2. Created with the Sims 3 Mod Generator, found here. http://linna.modthesims.info/download.php?t=353622

No guarantees implied or given.

* Opportunites be Gone!.package (1.21 KB - downloaded 257 times.)
CheritaChen
Corpulent Cretin

INFP

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2009 July 14, 18:21:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are the choices that pop up while a Sim is working ("Sim A should leave her current career track right now to join this other, random one. Switch, Keep Job") categorized as opportunities by the game? If so, this little mod should solve all of tides's woes. If not, that still remains as an interruption of flow in the active household simulation.

I still don't see the need for this, though--if you want your favorite Sims to behave autonomously whether you handhold them or not, just change away from their household. Either way, there is an overriding AI making choices. I hate to break this to you, but your little pixel people can't actually think and decide things themselves, whether you've got them in the foreground or not.
veezee
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2009 July 14, 18:27:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In fairness, that hadn't even occured to me - job swaps, etc. - I'll have another look through the program and see if anything suspect leaps out at me. Anyone else wants to have a look, feel free. I'm not a very savvy modder as it is, just this tool makes things so simple. If the OP wants to test and report in the meantime, feel free.
CheritaChen
Corpulent Cretin

INFP

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2009 July 14, 18:32:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In fairness, that hadn't even occured to me - job swaps, etc. - I'll have another look through the program and see if anything suspect leaps out at me. Anyone else wants to have a look, feel free. I'm not a very savvy modder as it is, just this tool makes things so simple. If the OP wants to test and report in the meantime, feel free.

If the OP were inclined to test or report anything, she probably would have been able to get what she wanted before now. Yes, that tool does appear to make basic mods child's play. Which is why I am kinda annoyed that tides had to repeatedly whine here for someone else to do this for her, instead of doing what you did and figuring it out in, what, an hour?
veezee
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2009 July 14, 18:52:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

All of 5 minutes, excluding booting the program. That accounts for another 10 seconds of my time.

Here is the new version, with opportuinity and CELLPHONE splattergating. Couldn't find anything linked to job swaps. New to MATY - anywhere I can put this up for quick testing, do you know?

* Opportunites and Cellphones be Gone!.package (12.96 KB - downloaded 240 times.)
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2009 July 14, 19:19:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mods go in Pudding Factory.

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
tides
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2009 July 15, 15:05:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

sry,haven't been on for awhile.
anyway i'll try the mod by veezee and check back in awhile.
indie's wolfrun doesn't do what i want, wolfrun makes your sim do nothing the whole day, say like he has a job, he will just sit infront of the tv,while the neighbourhood progress.

job swaps are opportunities i believe.

thanks all btw =D
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2009 July 15, 15:11:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

sry,haven't been on for awhile.
anyway i'll try the mod by veezee and check back in awhile.
indie's wolfrun doesn't do what i want, wolfrun makes your sim do nothing the whole day, say like he has a job, he will just sit infront of the tv,while the neighbourhood progress.

job swaps are opportunities i believe.

thanks all btw =D

You're not understanding what people are suggesting to you.

They are not suggesting that you name your main family "wolfrun."

They are suggesting that you make a "wolfrun" character as a sort of placeholder.  When you go to dinner or whatever, you can switch from your main family to Wolfrun and let the neighborhood progress as it will.  Then you can come back and switch to your main family and see what they've been up to.

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

CheritaChen
Corpulent Cretin

INFP

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2009 July 15, 15:14:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you, Phyllis. I was beginning to wonder if I was speaking in Sanskrit.
tides
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2009 July 15, 15:26:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ohhh.i get what you mean, but if i let indie mod run,theres a chance that my family will move away(awesome mod prevents this i think&indie too)
also indie mod will make decisions for them, for now im running a couple family,i dont want to have kids.
indie mod author and many people have said that it has a tendancy to pair people up, so i might come back with kids,lots of them!!.
if i turn off story progression in indie(so the game doesn't make decisions- on statis), the game will go nowhere.
if i turn off story progression for my house(and eenable it for everyone else) nothing wil change.

what i want is the game to continue running and my sims to not make any huuuuuuge or major decisions.
if i stay with the family and go afk, they will just do what they need to do to not die and not get sacked. they will get promoted, neighbourhood will progress.there will be no major changes in my lot =D

anyway i tried the mod that veezee posted,it doesn't work that well.
i've been runniing it for awhile, it does stop outside opportunities and phone calls (haven't got one yet)
but work opportunities still occur.

can you turn those off as well veezee? =D thanks!
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2009 July 15, 15:38:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can set the household option for children to "off," and they won't breed while you're gone. 

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2009 July 15, 15:41:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well it sounds like you want your cake and to be able to eat it too. Indie will not move your family out of town. If you don't like what it does with story progression off for your family but on for the town then OH WELL JUST PLAY THE DAMNED GAME FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!

Sims are inherently stupid. It has been this way since TS1. Left to their own devices they will make poor choices or none at all. That's what the game is about, directing them to make choice.

Look, you can't have everything 100% the way you want it in a game or in life. You're picky about what the base game does, picky about what Awesome mod does and picky about what Indie does. Then someone actually made a mod for you that wasn't good enough either.

Well I suggest you either get off your ass and learn to mod yourself or just shut the hell up and find a way to deal!

Sorry, I am generally a nice person but I have no tolerance for ungratefulness, whining and someone not being resourceful doing things on their own when clearly what they want is in a niche and not something that would not appeal to most. Other people should not have to work to cater to something that no one except you seems to be asking for!
« Last Edit: 2009 July 16, 14:12:49 by Motoki » Logged

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Saikatsu
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2009 July 15, 16:26:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't even really see a point to what the OP is wanting such a mod for. Like Motoki said, sims just aren't all that smart. Their AI does a LOT of really dumb things. You gain nothing from having the game continue to run while you're not there, it pretty much just adds to the time played (and household funds, if you want moar money that bad just use a cheat). They are not like the norns from Creatures, you aren't letting it run undirected to sift out the ones with the best genetics/survival behavior/etc. because that stuff simply does not exist in any of the Sims games. It's completely pointless and is likely to result in them doing something completely dumb.

Hell, what tides is pining for isn't even partially as useful as taping your A button down in the Lethe River area of FF6 with the menu set to remember commands, which loops you through a portion of the map endlessly and farms exp till you either untape the button or something bad happens and you die.
veezee
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2009 July 15, 20:59:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I will have a look at some point, but don't hold your breath. I did quickly scan as I put in the phone splattering, but I didn't see anything I could configure relating to work opportunities.
BrokenRobot
Dimwitted Dunce

sekrit Republican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: 2009 July 15, 23:49:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

tides, I don't think video gaming is for you.  Try television.  The characters make all their own decisions, and all the channels keep broadcasting whether you're watching them or not.
whistlrr
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2009 July 16, 08:04:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

First of all, Veezee, thank you for this mod.

I have a lot I've called the "SimCity Home for Wayward Sims Halfway House" that is a large institution packed with 32 sims (one for each lifetime want) that I also like to leave running when I go to sleep and then wake up and see how they're doing and I also don't like the popups that stop the game. I don't want to swap away from this house in order for them to keep on going. I just want to be able to run them, peek in on them, once in a while check on each sim and rarely redirect them. In this way I like to 'play' the sims almost as if they were a giant screen saver I can leave running and at my leisure and not too often just periodically intervene in a sort of voyeur mode. If somebody has made a "pay bills autonomously" mod I'll be all set. I will test this mod out too.

I barely understood all the nuances and complexities of Sims 2 (and heavily relied on mods for it to this same end); I have never played any of the Sims games quite the way they are intended (in a previous life I was probably a collie since I am often entertained by just herding as many sims as my computer can run on one lot) and I'm still working out much of this, the Sims 3, and part of how I'm doing it is this way.

The way I play, I figure I'm successful if I wake up after a long RL sleep etc and look in on them and nobody's dead, and the contents of the house have not all been repoed, etc.

Anyway, thank you again and I will go to test this right now.
« Last Edit: 2009 July 24, 05:14:01 by whistlrr » Logged
tides
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2009 July 16, 11:52:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I will have a look at some point, but don't hold your breath. I did quickly scan as I put in the phone splattering, but I didn't see anything I could configure relating to work opportunities.

kk ty

as for the rest of you all,i dont understand why you are all getting upset over this.
i want to play the game the way i want to play it. just because i dont play the game the way you guys play doesn't mean you can blast off at me and i feel sorry for you guys if you guys actually enjoy making decisions like ":can a come to my house;b wants to talk to c,can b talk to c;a needs you to make a new friend" and so on.
Aquilegia
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: 2009 July 16, 11:59:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tides, they're annoyed at you because you keep pestering other people to make your odd little niche mod for you, when one program, Notepad, and half an ounce of sense would allow you to make it for yourself. It's not so much the mod as the entitlement.
tides
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2009 July 16, 14:19:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

hey just thought of helping, but i dont tink work opportunities appear from the cellphone, you've silenced the phone and the random skill ones(eg,paint this for me blahblah/write autobiography..ect)
i think the work ones appear randomly while youre working >.<
veezee
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2009 July 16, 17:01:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

as for the rest of you all,i dont understand why you are all getting upset over this.

Tides, they're annoyed at you because you keep pestering other people to make your odd little niche mod for you, when one program, Notepad, and half an ounce of sense would allow you to make it for yourself. It's not so much the mod as the entitlement.

I can see both sides of this particular disagreement - on one hand, modding can be very intimidating. I've only begun because the aforementioned tool gave an easy entrance into it. On the other, if it is something you really do want, the tools and tutorials are out there to get you started. I have no issue trying it out, because it gives me an excuse to become more familiar with the tools available.

No need to have a back and forth argument over it, so lets just leave it there.

Does anyone have any ideas on finding said job opportunites? Either within the Mod maker, or the XML files?
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: