More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 16, 16:51:47

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Intermittent hangs -- post-patch, or awesome-related? Anyone else?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Intermittent hangs -- post-patch, or awesome-related? Anyone else?  (Read 2495 times)
pbox
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
Intermittent hangs -- post-patch, or awesome-related? Anyone else?
« on: 2009 July 20, 15:31:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I recently installed/updated three things at once:

- the first OS X patch
- the 1.2.7 patch
- the current version of awesome

and after that, I experienced four seemingly random hangs in one night. I have no idea where to begin looking for a problem (searching for "hang" on this site mainly yields "getting the hang of X") -- is this a known issue with either of the patches, or with awesome?

With "hang" I mean that the game becomes completely unresponsive until I kill the process (spinning beach ball syndrome); the second time around I went to make dinner while it hung so I'm quite sure it wasn't just taking its time. I also have system-generated "hang reports" for I think all of those incidents; not sure if they'd give anyone a clue though since I'm on OS X.

I can't think of any in-game events that those hangs have in common .. the first one I don't remember, the second and third I thought might have had something to do with visitors since in both of those cases, a visitor had just arrived on the lot when it started to hang -- but the fourth one occurred in build mode so there went that theory out of the window.

This is definitely not the 1am lag, I have story mode turned off. I don't use SupCom either just in case there are any issues related to that.

I had no such hangs before this upgrade, ever; the only issues I had experienced thus far were two crashes when CAS ran out of memory. Hence why I believe this is a new phenomenon, related to the recent upgrade. Apart from awesome I only have a few handfuls of XML tweaks and a few texture replacement mods in my game.

(I'm not sure how this notion of "hang" compares to "freezes" that people report under Windows -- from what I remember, both from TS2/Windows and TS2-Aspyr/OS X, it's a bit different though. To me a freeze would be when everything locks up completely and there's no way out short of rebooting the system; the hangs I have now merely afflict the game though, not the rest of the machine. The system recognises it's hanging, in Activity Monitor (equivalent to Task Manager) it also shows as "not responding" and I can force quit just fine. I've never seen any actual hangs, with reports being generated and all, under 10.4 (I'm currently running 10.5.7), OTOH I can't find any mention that this is a new thing with 10.5 so .. I believe this is different.)
« Last Edit: 2009 July 20, 15:54:00 by pbox » Logged
nekonoai
Weeaboo
Retarded Reprobate

Hell yeah.

View Profile WWW
Re: Intermittent hangs -- post-patch, or awesome-related? Anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: 2009 July 20, 16:13:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was getting hangs too. Then I took out the frame limiter. No more hang. Tongue
pbox
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
Re: Intermittent hangs -- post-patch, or awesome-related? Anyone else?
« Reply #2 on: 2009 July 20, 16:16:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have such a thing, at least not that I'm aware of ..
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: