More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 05:05:41

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  Facts & Strategery
| | |-+  Vehicle Speeds
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Vehicle Speeds  (Read 10232 times)
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
Vehicle Speeds
« on: 2009 July 17, 02:57:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I timed various vehicles traveling from one of the homesteads on the outskirts to the central park.  In the process, I discovered just how very screwy the vehicle selection can be - as often as not, the Sim would choose a slower vehicle, and on at least one occasion a vehicle that was marked as owned by another Sim.

The distance (43.6 km, or 27.1 miles) I measured by having a Sim jog the same route, and noted the distance covered in the Skill notes.

VehicleTime (minutes)Speed (MPH)
Jog2676
Run10216
Bicycle3744
Cab2858
Jalopy2663
Vorn 3282468
Stretch Limo2468
Yomoshoto Evasion2081
Police Cruiser16102
VFN Komensator15108
Bwan Speedster10163
Magaret Vaguester10163

Most trips in the game are much shorter than this, so you don't really get much real time savings from cars until you get to the Evasion, unless you're living in the boonies.  Bikes, despite what I believed before, are simply a drawback for adults.  Certain career paths slow you down because you're forced to drive the Stretch Limo everywhere even if you have a faster car.  At least the Police Cruiser is worthwhile.

Children on bicycles are the same speed regardless of whether it's a default bike or a bike you purchased: 44 mph, the same as adults.  So there's no point in purchasing bike racks, since adult bikes are a drawback and children's bikes make no difference.

EDIT: added running speed, which turns out to be roughly 2.5x the pokey Jog.
EDIT: noted child bike speeds.

- Gus
« Last Edit: 2009 July 19, 02:17:32 by Gus Smedstad » Logged

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
Re: Vehicle Speeds
« Reply #1 on: 2009 July 17, 04:53:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As an aside, I've also noticed that for relatively short to moderate trips by the time all is said and done with the telephone dialing, talking (who the hell are they talking to anyway?) and animations and what not the fastest cars can sometimes be faster than even teleportation.

What compounds this is the teleportation of say 'teleport to work' often teleports them in at the exact opposite of the side of the building with the entrance. It also annoyingly tends to force the camera to follow them to their destination even if you just tell them to teleport to work.

And you are right about their means of selecting which car to use. It often makes very little logical sense and they frequently don't opt for the fastest option. They also have an annoying tendancy to still want to use cabs and carpools when you own vehicles, or to use a vehicle to get to a location that is literally next door or across the street.  Roll Eyes

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 July 17, 04:58:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

(who the hell are they talking to anyway?)
They're talking to Scotty, duh. It's like this:
Quick! Scotty! Beam me u^?^?^?^H^H^HNO CARRIER

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 July 19, 02:22:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've completed testing.  Bikes simply suck.

Also, I fooled around with the teleporter, which I avoided previously as a cheat.  I'm not sure what you mean about "phone delays," since in my tests Sims simply walked into the teleporter and reached their destination directly.

Using the "teleport to..." interaction on the teleporter is a bad idea.  You can get a lot more precision by moving the camera where you want, clicking on the ground, and selecting "teleport here."  This puts you at the front door of the shop instead of the back.  I sent late kids to school that way a few times after getting them cleaned and fed, choosing the spot right in front of the school doors.  It's also handy (if you care to use the object at all) for teleporting right next to a target Sim on a remote lot, for questy-type things which require that you talk to a specific Sim.

- Gus

Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 July 19, 02:30:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not sure what you mean about "phone delays," since in my tests Sims simply walked into the teleporter and reached their destination directly.

You teleport back home from elsewhere via the cell phone. They will still call up and dial and talk to, err, someone. Then they'll materialize back home near the mailbox.

You can also use this functionality on your home lot such as to get back to the first floor without having to go down flights of stairs, which they are notoriously slow at doing, and you can teleport to and back from otherwise unreachable spots like a roof or an island.

Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 July 19, 03:00:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah.  I missed the phone interaction, since I pretty much never use the phone for anything but inviting Sims into the home lot.  It's useful that you can have Scotty beam you up.  If you're going to use the teleporter at all, that is, since I still regard it as a huge cheat.  I'm not a big fan of things that remove challenge from the game, though I'm still using more mundane lifetime rewards like "fast learner," "opportunistic," and "multitasker."

- Gus

Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 July 19, 03:22:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah.  I missed the phone interaction, since I pretty much never use the phone for anything but inviting Sims into the home lot.  It's useful that you can have Scotty beam you up.  If you're going to use the teleporter at all, that is, since I still regard it as a huge cheat.  I'm not a big fan of things that remove challenge from the game, though I'm still using more mundane lifetime rewards like "fast learner," "opportunistic," and "multitasker."

I agree it's kind of cheaty but I would say more often than anything I just use it to get them up or down stairs quicker since they are maddeningly slow to traverse multiple flights of stairs. Tongue

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 July 19, 13:41:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The teleporter isn't even that GOOD. It's the most outlandishly expensive aspiration reward in the game, and it's only barely competitive against the MV.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 July 19, 14:51:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The teleporter isn't even that GOOD. It's the most outlandishly expensive aspiration reward in the game, and it's only barely competitive against the MV.

It depends on what you are doing and where. If you're going somewhere far removed from a road to collect crap then it does make a big difference. If it's somewhere by a road though then yeah when all is said and done not a huge difference between it and the fastest car.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: