More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 18, 00:53:53

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Does the Vegetarian Trait affect anything besides food choices?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Does the Vegetarian Trait affect anything besides food choices?  (Read 77606 times)
SolaceDevotio
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Does the Vegetarian Trait affect anything besides food choices?
« Reply #75 on: 2009 July 02, 17:04:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*shrug*
caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2009 July 02, 17:58:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Solace, this thread will provide some context:

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,12710.0.html
SolaceDevotio
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2009 July 02, 18:03:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you.   I appreciate it.  I was confused as to why my insinuation that the wiccans who practice witchcraft are good was offensive.

Off to read.
CheritaChen
Corpulent Cretin

INFP

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2009 July 02, 18:39:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really don't see the entire problem with animal-eating, really. Protesting the inhumane practices of factory farming doesn't mean you give up meat. It just means you kill it yourself.

This is part of my reason for vegetarianism to begin with. Somewhere over time I realized that if I could never, ever bring myself to kill a cow or chicken or pig, I had no business at all eating them. It made me feel hypocritical and guilty, so I stopped.

If I'm ever lost in the wilderness and faced with the choice between hunting and starvation, I guess I'll learn if I really have what it takes.
SolaceDevotio
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2009 July 02, 18:44:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really don't see the entire problem with animal-eating, really. Protesting the inhumane practices of factory farming doesn't mean you give up meat. It just means you kill it yourself.

This is part of my reason for vegetarianism to begin with. Somewhere over time I realized that if I could never, ever bring myself to kill a cow or chicken or pig, I had no business at all eating them. It made me feel hypocritical and guilty, so I stopped.

If I'm ever lost in the wilderness and faced with the choice between hunting and starvation, I guess I'll learn if I really have what it takes.

I came up with the same hypocrisy in myself, but instead of becoming vegetarian I took up hunting.  True story.
Silverdrake
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: 2009 July 02, 20:16:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to really like deer. I cried at Bambi, etc. But they've taken over my neighborhood! They're like an evil little gang that decimates my garden and even chased my partner when he was out walking the dog. In the absence of cougars and wolves, it'd be a blessing if someone would come and eat them.
Grumblesnort
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2009 July 02, 20:50:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have never encountered a hairy nectarine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peach#Nectarines
The nectarine is a cultivar group of peach that has a smooth, fuzzless skin.

Dagnabbit, I had it confused with apricots. I've recently had a bunch of different types of fruits crammed down my throat. "Just try it, you'll like it!" No. No, I don't like it, and I didn't like it the last time either. The shock and trauma from the torture session has left my brain jumbled, making all fruit look the same. Yeah...that's the ticket...
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2009 July 02, 21:38:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you.   I appreciate it.  I was confused as to why my insinuation that the wiccans who practice witchcraft are good was offensive.

Off to read.
The Wikka - read and learn.
By the way, wikka headlines are way out of date.

I used to really like deer. I cried at Bambi, etc. But they've taken over my neighborhood! They're like an evil little gang that decimates my garden and even chased my partner when he was out walking the dog. In the absence of cougars and wolves, it'd be a blessing if someone would come and eat them.
Your boyfriend was scared of a deer? A deer? Really? That's like being scared of a fluffy little bunny. Deer are not that smart, and not at all violent. If you want to be scared of a wild animal, be scared of Canadian geese. Those things are bitches. A few years ago, I was living in this suburban apartment complex with two man made lakes. The damn things would chase Soren when I walked him. One time, one of them decided I wasn't allowed in my building and tried to intimidate me away. I was able to intimidate him right back, but then he was alone.
« Last Edit: 2009 July 02, 21:44:20 by Zazazu » Logged

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2009 July 02, 22:30:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did once, actually... my grandmother hit a deer with her car, but since she actually has a hunting license, and it was within hunting season, the police let her take it home after they checked it out... Free venison!

Shit.  And they wanted to arrest me for dynamite fishing!  This is just too unfair.

Medusa stared at the two creatures approaching her across the Piazza and, instantly recognizing them as Spanish Gorgons, attempted to stall them by greeting them in their native tongue, "Gorgons, Hola!"
ZeKat
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2009 July 02, 22:47:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your boyfriend was scared of a deer? A deer? Really? That's like being scared of a fluffy little bunny. Deer are not that smart, and not at all violent.

We have problems in a nearby forest/park every spring. People like to jog in there, but during mating season, the stags get bloody aggressive, and chase people around. Some people even got attacked and got hurt pretty badly. Don't fuck around with anything that has antlers!
scummy_minus
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2009 July 03, 00:02:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your boyfriend was scared of a deer? A deer? Really? That's like being scared of a fluffy little bunny. Deer are not that smart, and not at all violent.

We have problems in a nearby forest/park every spring. People like to jog in there, but during mating season, the stags get bloody aggressive, and chase people around. Some people even got attacked and got hurt pretty badly. Don't fuck around with anything that has antlers!

At a college I considered going to, part of the tour was to warn us to be very, very scared of deer.  Somebody gets attacked about every year, and that year someone had gotten killed.  It's mostly people who saw Bambi and want to pet the baby; they'd never seen a deer in the wild before.  (A lot of people from countries without the things go to that college.)  The guy who died was trampled by a doe, so you should be scared of anything that has antlers or babies.

I'm also a vegetarian because I'm opposed to fake meats.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2009 July 03, 00:09:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, I'll give you horny stags. I didn't even think of those. Where I grew up, for the longest time the majority of the neighborhood was undeveloped and there was a huge corn field buffer in between the developed portion and true woodland. We had deer in the yard all the time. The females and fauns will let you get within a few feet of them. But stags I think I've only seen in the distance. I'm good with animals, and tend to monopolize all the creatures at petting zoos (my one best friend has a picture of me at her house with two deer, three goats, and a bunny crowding my lap at the wild animal park in San Diego), and have actually touched a rhino before and lived to talk about it, but horny creatures with horns are not good cuddlers.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2009 July 03, 01:24:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Deer never chase me. They seem to instinctively recognize me as a predator and run away. Damn right, I say. If one of them comes at me, it's going to be nomfodder.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Silverdrake
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: 2009 July 03, 01:31:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, this was five deer, and of course, the dog had to stop in the middle of it all and take a crap, too. I should get more insurance on my partner.
Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: 2009 July 03, 02:33:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Funny thing.  I eat meat therefore I get plenty of protein, potassium, and a lot of amino acids that aren't in any other food source. When I shop for groceries I'm not looking for food substitutes I'm buying food (whether it be meat, fruits, vegetables, nuts, legumes, etc.).  I rarely see a vegan or vegetarian NOT look for a meat substitute while shopping.  I see products like tofu being advertised for their meat-like qualities and all kinds of weird things like that.  (I have tried tofu and that stuff is darned disgusting.) If a particular style of eating is good for a person, why do they need to be looking for substitutes for the foods they don't eat?  I don't eat much in the line of grains and I don't bother looking for grain substitutes.  I don't eat processed sugar, and I also don't use sugar substitutes.

Re: comment on peaches and nectarines.  Peel the peaches or eat nectarines!  Nectarines are completely smooth skinned.

Euphemism
Blathering Buffoon

In Soviet Russia, cupcake laughs at YOU!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: 2009 July 03, 03:54:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

People always like to stereotype vegetarians as annoying preachers whereas my experience is that most people immediately question me and want me to justify why I do not eat meat, as if I am attacking them by choosing to live differently!

I think even if there isn't an undiscovered effect from this trait, it's cool to have it just as another way to make Sim individuals different. I like the interactions related to it.

Buuuuut, wouldn't it be cool if we could have coolness aaaand actual features?

Is that too much to ask? Thus, I say, down with EA's idea of vegematarians. I'll keep my horny baby-makers.
gamb
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2009 July 03, 04:23:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Funny thing.  I eat meat therefore I get plenty of protein, potassium, and a lot of amino acids that aren't in any other food source. When I shop for groceries I'm not looking for food substitutes I'm buying food (whether it be meat, fruits, vegetables, nuts, legumes, etc.).  I rarely see a vegan or vegetarian NOT look for a meat substitute while shopping.  I see products like tofu being advertised for their meat-like qualities and all kinds of weird things like that.  (I have tried tofu and that stuff is darned disgusting.) If a particular style of eating is good for a person, why do they need to be looking for substitutes for the foods they don't eat?  I don't eat much in the line of grains and I don't bother looking for grain substitutes.  I don't eat processed sugar, and I also don't use sugar substitutes.
This.  The more I find out about food, the more I'm realizing it doesn't actually matter what you're eating, so long as it's actually food and not some strange chemical walking around pretending to be food.

Also, all the talk about peaches being like baby heads is making me want to chomp on the peaches sitting on my counter.  Mmmm, peaches!  I like fuzzy food; it tickles when you eat it!
Drakron
Anime Fapper
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2009 July 03, 04:41:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really don't see the entire problem with animal-eating, really. Protesting the inhumane practices of factory farming doesn't mean you give up meat. It just means you kill it yourself. Try some 100% organic, free-range, all-natural, automotively processed meat.

On the other hand there is this:

http://web.archive.org/web/20041107084521/http://eesc.orst.edu/agcomwebfile/news/food/vegan.html

I guess the "inhumane practices of factory farming" do extend beyond meat ...
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2009 July 03, 05:29:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Re: comment on peaches and nectarines.  Peel the peaches or eat nectarines!  Nectarines are completely smooth skinned.
Yeah, well, you're just special. Trust me, I wish I wasn't picky. The past couple years, I've been retrying all the foods I wrote off in childhood to see if I can expand what I can eat. So far, I've added asparagus, capers, and fresh peas. That's about it. Meat is still off the list, excepting fish.

Raw tofu is disgusting. Plain tofu cooked is disgusting. I don't see the point of making yourself eat something like that for the protein. Eat some yummy beans. Eat the Quorn chicken thingies (have you had those? They're the only spicy food I'll take the pain to eat because they are just that good). Eat some falafel. The chickpea is a wonderful thing (current healthy addiction is wheat spaghetti with homemade sauce and tiny falafel balls).

Of course, substitution isn't as hard for me since I love fish. I have to worry more about watching my mercury intake.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2009 July 03, 05:34:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wish I liked fish, because it would be a nice source of protein and some healthy kinds of fat. I like fish in an aquarium but not on my plate, though.

My sims, on the other hand, devote most of their lives to fishing.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
Marquis
fway
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2009 July 03, 05:58:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wish I liked fish, because it would be a nice source of protein and some healthy kinds of fat. I like fish in an aquarium but not on my plate, though.

You don't know what you're missing. When I was a 6-12 I never really liked the taste of fish. I suppose over the years my taste buds changed and I can enjoy a nice filet of haddock. Shrimp (alone, no cocktail sauce either) is great, too. Salmon steaks with lemon are delicious. When I was a 6 I loved lobster legs. They were probably the only thing I ever ate. Haven't had lobster in a while, though. I don't think I could afford fish due to my budget, unless I got the frozen kind (not fish sticks, but something like "Gorton's" fish filets), but it would be insulting to my taste buds.  

chaos
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2009 July 03, 06:03:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some of the Gorton's things are good, believe it or not. They'll never be as good as fresh fish, of course, but they aren't bad, IMO.

IN T/F J/P. Yeah, I know.
caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2009 July 03, 12:05:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When you say you rarely see a vegetarian or vegan not looking for a meat substitute, how do you know who is and isn't a vegetarian while shopping? Do you look into people's carts to see if they have meat products? Do you follow around shoppers who don't have meat products to see if they buy tofu or frozen veggie burgers? Why the fuck do you care what other people eat? You are the kind of person some of us were talking about, you see a discussion about vegetarianism in which no one is saying anyone else should give up meat if they don't want, and you come in to tell us why vegetarians are wrong.
« Last Edit: 2009 July 03, 12:54:09 by caterpillar » Logged
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2009 July 03, 14:40:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When you say you rarely see a vegetarian or vegan not looking for a meat substitute, how do you know who is and isn't a vegetarian while shopping? Do you look into people's carts to see if they have meat products? Do you follow around shoppers who don't have meat products to see if they buy tofu or frozen veggie burgers? Why the fuck do you care what other people eat? You are the kind of person some of us were talking about, you see a discussion about vegetarianism in which no one is saying anyone else should give up meat if they don't want, and you come in to tell us why vegetarians are wrong.

Right. And also some non-vegetarians do buy those products too. It does happen. While I am a vegetarian, my mother is very much not one but she loves Morningstar bacon and buys that because she likes her bacon undercooked and is afraid to do it with the real thing so she's fine with having that and does like the taste of it. I also saw a woman in front of my at Trader Joe's once with a whole bunch of meat and dairy products buying Tofutti Cuties (little dairy free ice cream sandwiches made from soy ice cream) so you just never know.

As for the meat substitutes, I like them so what. People are allowed. They're not 'fake foods' they're just processed foods but so are many meat products.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Trubble
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

:P

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2009 July 03, 15:28:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As I said before:

they don't really taste like meat and don't have the weird bits, I'm a vegetarian for mostly ethical reasons, it prevents arguments about dinner with my carnivorous boyfriend (he seems happy to put up with the fake meat as a compromise) and why the hell shouldn't veggies eat these products? That's who they're made for!

I don't eat them for the protein. I've never once thought "I need more protein, I'd better eat some Quorn". In fact I've never even thought twice about my protein intake. Anyway, I could easily go without the substitutes and live on fruits, veggies and dairy, but why should I when these products exist to add a bit more variety to my diet? I would actually estimate I have some faux meat product 3 days out of the week (usually as part of a healthy home made meal, I don't buy the premade meals), and given 14 lunches and dinners, 3/14 isn't that many.

I wouldn't call many of the meat products on the shelves food either. They're all processed in one way or another depending on how you look at it.

Things only in meat - do they really only exist in meat? I've never been told I'm deficient in anything and as far as I'm aware there are plenty of other places to get the useful nutrients.

I do agree with the part about tofu though, it's disgusting.

A proud thread pirate.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: