More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 14:41:12

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Does the Vegetarian Trait affect anything besides food choices?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Does the Vegetarian Trait affect anything besides food choices?  (Read 77116 times)
Silverdrake
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
Re: Does the Vegetarian Trait affect anything besides food choices?
« Reply #25 on: 2009 July 01, 23:26:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, so I can harrass my friend's self sim and vice versa! Fun, fun! He hates art, too. I have no idea why we're friends - perhaps we have too good a time
mocking each other.

And nectarines are smooth as a baby's butt, tyvm. Pears have those icky gritty things though *shivers*
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2009 July 01, 23:31:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Disliking Nectarines has probably got somethign to do with where they get them from. I dislike apples. I will not buy apples. Ditto for banana's. My great uncle was an apple farmer so I know how they should taste. I grew up in the tropics so I know how they should taste.

As for meat I'm also not all that fond of fat, but you can't blame sausages fattyness on meat. I defy anyone to find identifyable meat in the generic sausage. It's all filler and lard.

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2009 July 01, 23:54:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here in Kiwiland, we mostly eat kiwifruit* by slicing them in half and scooping the fruit out with a spoon. Skins are not eaten, in fact I've never heard of that before. But then we have so many that you can't even give the bloody things away at the height of the season.

When I was a child, kiwifruit were still called Chinese Gooseberries, so I guess we stole them from somewhere else originally. The marketing geniuses have now decided to call kiwifruit 'Zespri', only no-one in the world knows what the hell they're talking about.

Personally I find kiwifruit too sour to eat, even the gold variety is a little bit sour.

*kiwifruit is what they are called in New Zealand, it's only the rest of the world that calls them 'kiwis'. This is offensive to us as native 'Kiwis'.  Tongue

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2009 July 02, 00:01:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, it makes sense vegetarianism could make people live longer, if only for the fact that malnourishment in general seems to extend lifespan.  We know that underfeeding can increase the lifespan of almost all species, all the way down to single-cell yeast.  And just decreasing the availability of essential amino acids like L-tryptophan from the diet of rats can double their lifespan.

Don't look at me...  I've been strictly low-carbing for ten straight years.  Lotsa red meat.

Medusa stared at the two creatures approaching her across the Piazza and, instantly recognizing them as Spanish Gorgons, attempted to stall them by greeting them in their native tongue, "Gorgons, Hola!"
minidoxigirli
Feckless Fool

ESFP- I'm a speshul snowflake

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2009 July 02, 00:38:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, it makes sense vegetarianism could make people live longer, if only for the fact that malnourishment in general seems to extend lifespan.  We know that underfeeding can increase the lifespan of almost all species, all the way down to single-cell yeast.  And just decreasing the availability of essential amino acids like L-tryptophan from the diet of rats can double their lifespan.

...but do you really think EA sat in a room and said, "So I'm thinking that due to the amino acids sims with the vegetarian trait should live longer.  And ghosts!  Wooooo!"

My claim to Sims fame?  I was featured as a Sims 2 fan on an MTV show about The Urbz.  I'm badass like that.
Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2009 July 02, 00:51:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, uh, I'm mocking the idea that vegetarianism is healthier nutrition. 

Medusa stared at the two creatures approaching her across the Piazza and, instantly recognizing them as Spanish Gorgons, attempted to stall them by greeting them in their native tongue, "Gorgons, Hola!"
amarynth
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2009 July 02, 01:05:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It bugs me that kids get the "sickened by meat" moodlet from eating the muffins cooked in the toy stove.  What kids make meat muffins?
minidoxigirli
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2009 July 02, 01:12:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, uh, I'm mocking the idea that vegetarianism is healthier nutrition. 

I figured from the wording.  I was agreeing with you.

My claim to Sims fame?  I was featured as a Sims 2 fan on an MTV show about The Urbz.  I'm badass like that.
Elvie
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2009 July 02, 01:49:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I expected vegetarian Sims to get a positive moodlet from eating fruit/veggies straight from their inventories. I was very disappointed.
Ayana
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2009 July 02, 02:54:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It bugs me that kids get the "sickened by meat" moodlet from eating the muffins cooked in the toy stove.  What kids make meat muffins?

I have no idea why, but the phrase "meat muffins" is making me giggle like a 12. I think Vegetarianism is just one of those 'flavor traits' that really don't do anything useful, honestly. But when your sims subsist on little more than waffles or pancakes, it's not that big a deal.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2009 July 02, 03:00:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here in Kiwiland, we mostly eat kiwifruit* by slicing them in half and scooping the fruit out with a spoon. Skins are not eaten, in fact I've never heard of that before. But then we have so many that you can't even give the bloody things away at the height of the season.
That sounds complicated. I eat them simply by cramming them whole into my mouth, swallowing them hole, and then horking out the skin-remains like a hairball.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
minidoxigirli
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2009 July 02, 03:06:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That sounds complicated. I eat them simply by cramming them whole into my mouth, swallowing them hole, and then horking out the skin-remains like a hairball.

When I was little I loved to watch this one Discovery Channel special on egg eating snakes.  That's what I'm picturing now.

fatkitty
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2009 July 02, 03:11:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheesy  You better hope the Mrs. never kicks you out...that certainly isn't going to win you any dates.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2009 July 02, 08:20:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

[Well, some vegetarians aren't vegetarians because they want to save animals. Like myself. I just hate the taste of meat and the texture of the fat globules and strings. I still like the flavor. I can't process the real stuff well, anymore, as I found out when I tried some pepperoni on a lark.

Agreed. I'm an almost-vegetarian because I find most meaty foods disgusting. Years ago I used to be a vegetarian for ethical reasons, nowadays I do eat some but not much because it mostly turns me off. I'm just generally a picky eater and many non-meat foods are not very appealing, either. I mostly live on dairy and grain products (plus candy).

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
Zucabr
Furry
Asinine Airhead

I/ENTP

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2009 July 02, 09:16:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Code:
      <!--Range: positive decimal percent values.  Description: chance each day that an elder sim will die on each Life Span option.-->
    <kChancePerDayElderWillDieShort value="30">
    <kChancePerDayElderWillDieMedium value="20">
    <kChancePerDayElderWillDieNormal value="14">
    <kChancePerDayElderWillDieLong value="6">
    <kChancePerDayElderWillDieEpic value="3">
    <kChanceMultiplierElderMarathonRunnerWillDie value="0.75">
      <!--Range: positive decimal percent values.  Description: If an elder is a marathon runner, the chance of them dying will be multiplied by this value.-->

There is THIS in S3_0333406C_00000000_C91A73DBFF35EECA_AgingManager_0xc91a73dbff35eeca%%+UNKN, but there seems to be nothing said for Vegetarian. Perhaps it was intended to lower the chance further? It's possible that the effect isn't stored in the XML tuning mods. I.E., it might be there, but untunable.
Grumblesnort
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2009 July 02, 09:16:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mmmmmm   Veins and globules.
As disgusting as the concept is, that comment cracked me up.

Why the hating on nectarines?
Zazazu said it best:

Fruit should not be hairy.

You peel kiwis? I just eat the whole thing skin and all. It's really no different than the skin of an apple.
I can't say I've ever come across an apple with straw-like hair growing out of its skin. Something like that would just prove the evilness of hairy fruits, as it would mean they're trying to breed out the smooth-skins. It could be the first step in a dastardly plan to amass an army of hairy fruit to take over the produce aisle. Next step: world domination! It could happen...
magic cookie
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2009 July 02, 10:25:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Vegetarians tend to live longer because they tend to have a diet with more fruit, veggies, whole grains, and less fat. They are also generally slimmer than carnivores, for the same reasons.

The problem wouldn't be eating protein, but red meat eaten in large quantities, trans fats ect.

My sister doesn't eat meat or fish, but doesn't like veggies at all, she basically survives on pasta and candy, which I doubt will make her live longer Wink.

I'm also someone who doesn't eat meat mainly because I never liked the taste of it, and as another poster said, am also not a fan of industrial farming to say the least.

I think the interactions added regarding the vegetarian Sims are pretty funny. People always like to stereotype vegetarians as annoying preachers whereas my experience is that most people immediately question me and want me to justify why I do not eat meat, as if I am attacking them by choosing to live differently!

I only had one vegetarian Sim and she did live a very long life. She also got a "nauseous" moodlet for hours after she ate a meat sandwich.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2009 July 02, 10:34:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheesy  You better hope the Mrs. never kicks you out...that certainly isn't going to win you any dates.
I don't care to win dates, and it's my place. Besides, we don't do "kicking people out". Females kill and eat the males. I will not be "kicked out", I will be killed and eaten.

Vegetarians tend to live longer because they tend to have a diet with more fruit, veggies, whole grains, and less fat. They are also generally slimmer than carnivores, for the same reasons.
Nonsense. Carnivores are slimmer, easily. How exactly is a fruit or vegetable going to flee from you? Whereas a fat carnivore is going to be a hungry carnivore, because he lacks the agility needed to pursue his prey. Haven't you noticed how the largest animals are either herbivorous, or have essentially herbivorous eating habits (Technically, krill is an animal, but it's not very animate).

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2009 July 02, 10:53:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nonsense. Carnivores are slimmer, easily. How exactly is a fruit or vegetable going to flee from you? Whereas a fat carnivore is going to be a hungry carnivore, because he lacks the agility needed to pursue his prey. Haven't you noticed how the largest animals are either herbivorous, or have essentially herbivorous eating habits (Technically, krill is an animal, but it's not very animate).

That works in theory, but in modern Western countries, at least, most people do not hunt their meat. Sims can fish, but it doesn't exactly require them to be physically fit, either, when they can take a taxi to the nearest puddle and then stand still for hours while fishing. And when steaks grow in trees, they don't need to run after them, either.

Not that vegetarians are necessarily slim, either, sims or otherwise.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2009 July 02, 10:59:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That works in theory, but in modern Western countries, at least, most people do not hunt their meat.
Sure, but at that point you're not really eating MEAT anymore, you're eating "processed meat food product", which is to meat what "processed cheese food product" is to cheese.

dusty
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2009 July 02, 11:28:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why the hating on nectarines?
Zazazu said it best:

Fruit should not be hairy.

I have never encountered a hairy nectarine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peach#Nectarines
The nectarine is a cultivar group of peach that has a smooth, fuzzless skin.
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2009 July 02, 11:31:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*kiwifruit is what they are called in New Zealand, it's only the rest of the world that calls them 'kiwis'. This is offensive to us as native 'Kiwis'.  Tongue

Nope, here is Aus we usually say the whole thing - well I do anyway. I remember when they were called Chinese Gooseberries too.

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
CheritaChen
Corpulent Cretin

INFP

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2009 July 02, 11:35:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sister doesn't eat meat or fish, but doesn't like veggies at all, she basically survives on pasta and candy, which I doubt will make her live longer Wink.

Sis? Is that you?

People always like to stereotype vegetarians as annoying preachers whereas my experience is that most people immediately question me and want me to justify why I do not eat meat, as if I am attacking them by choosing to live differently!

Yup, I get the same thing. Then, if it's an event with food involved, people become preoccupied almost to the point of obsession with finding things I can eat, and pointing them out for me. It's fascinating, and sometimes irritating, though I appreciate the concern involved.

I think even if there isn't an undiscovered effect from this trait, it's cool to have it just as another way to make Sim individuals different. I like the interactions related to it.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2009 July 02, 11:36:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nope, here is Aus we usually say the whole thing - well I do anyway. I remember when they were called Chinese Gooseberries too.

Well, hell, you're practically neighbours, just over the ditch an' all.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2009 July 02, 12:06:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the interactions added regarding the vegetarian Sims are pretty funny. People always like to stereotype vegetarians as annoying preachers whereas my experience is that most people immediately question me and want me to justify why I do not eat meat, as if I am attacking them by choosing to live differently!

That is so spot on. I rarely even tell people I'm a vegetarian because of the reaction I get. I've never preached my lifestyle to anyone, but I've gotten a lot of preaching from meat eaters.  I've had people whose only daily vegetable intake was the condiments on their McDonald's burger tell me my diet wasn't balanced enough.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: