More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 15:53:51

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Does the Vegetarian Trait affect anything besides food choices?
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Does the Vegetarian Trait affect anything besides food choices?  (Read 77781 times)
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
Re: Does the Vegetarian Trait affect anything besides food choices?
« Reply #150 on: 2009 July 09, 09:17:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What does the killing of plants have to do with teeth hollowing out from the inside? I'm not following your train of thought. At all.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
viewpoint
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 2009 July 09, 09:28:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What does the killing of plants have to do with teeth hollowing out from the inside? I'm not following your train of thought. At all.
I was cramming too many posts into one.

Point 1: Killing is killing. The question of the factor of sentience is beyond me. Do plants feel, think? I don't know.

Point 2: It's hard to deny our bodies their natural nutrients. Carnivores like tigers have shorter intestines, so food passes through quickly. Meats carry most nutrients for them. Our intestines are so much longer; meats do turn bad inside, I hear. I'm really no expert at what our bodies need. For now, I just know I need to handle my Hunger, Social, Bladder, and Energy motives. Smiley
snabul
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 2009 July 09, 09:38:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Buddhism does not exist: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism

There are many schools that teach different ways.

In general you can say that a "buddhist" would avoid to kill any living.

Some filter water to avoid drinking protozoans, some sweep the floor while walking to avoid stepping on ants.

But you have to respect yourself as well and you have to kill others to survive.

Best is to economize. Reduce consumption to limit the burden on others.

In game terms: I guess (but do not know) that the vegetarian trait is influenting several actions concerning plants. Maybe it influences cooking or growing plants. Some traits are opposite to an other trait. Maybe there is an opposite to the vegetarian as well.
viewpoint
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 2009 July 09, 09:41:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Guns and explosives are cheap. Bullets are about $0.50 each. We're not talking about specialized ammo for accuracy (match grade, subsonic, etc) or for damage per round (hollow points for eg). At point blank, really, any ball of lead works on the head.
You pay that much? You're getting ripped off.
Yeah, you're right. That price is for precision rounds. Typical 9mm's can be $0.10 each or less. Reminds me of what the Joker said in "The Dark Knight". Smiley
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 2009 July 09, 14:12:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm all for doing what you believe in.  But I think ethics needlessly complicates things.  I prefer to look at things in a simple way.

"Are you delicious?"

Humans are omnivores.  I see no reason why (barring health concerns and opinions on taste and texture) we should deny ourselves half of our naturally intended diet.  That being said, I love meat.  I like a lot of fruits.  I'm not into vegetables mostly, but I do love me some potatoes.  A nice, think grilled steak with some Heinz 57 sauce and a baked potato slathered in butter.  Mmmmm...

I never understood the whole being squimish about killing your food thing either.  I should hope that self-preservation would take priority over "I can't kill this.  Its cute and fluffy!".
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 2009 July 09, 15:11:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, there are plenty of critters you can eat that aren't cute and fluffy. Chow down on some gator, or a snake.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 2009 July 09, 16:28:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Buddhism does not exist: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism
The page you linked to seems to refute that claim, as do the many, many temples in the Chicago area I've been to, the Buddhists I've met, and the meditation center I used to attend down the block from my old place.

Are you thinking of "Buddha is not God"? That for sure is true, and the propensity of certain sects to see Buddha as one is a bastardization along the lines of the Catholicism of Taoism.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 2009 July 09, 17:22:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I should hope that self-preservation would take priority over "I can't kill this.  Its cute and fluffy!".

I don't think cows, chickens and pigs are cute and fluffy, really. Cats are cute and fluffy. If it came down to self-preservation, I'd kill and eat my fat loser neighbor (also not cute and fluffy) before I'd kill any of the stray cats in my neighborhood for food.
snabul
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 2009 July 09, 22:52:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@Zazazu:
That is an Inside Joke.

Zen Buddhists say: There is no Soul, no Buddha, no God.

But you have to know the context to understand this.

Of course do they believe in things like that but they try to keep their heads off the clouds.

I was refering to "Buddhism is a family of beliefs and practices considered by most to be a religion"

There are 8 different wide spread sects, each having different ways of practicing "Bhuddism".

Christians have different sects, too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christians

That is all about it. Please do not be offendet by my language or the use of the word "sects" unless you are wicca...
Silverdrake
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: 2009 July 09, 23:05:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Often I think too hard about the impact of my decisions (such as whether to eat meat or not) on the environment, on the general amount of suffering in the world, greedy corporate farms, etc., and then my mind boings in the opposite direction, and I think what does any of it matter? Does it really matter that animals die atrociously to bloat overweight fast food eaters, or that 35,000 children starve every day? None of us are getting out of here alive. Maybe the suffering and pain and waste make it all more meaningful.

No offense to Wiccans, of course.
caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 2009 July 10, 01:05:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Often I think too hard about the impact of my decisions (such as whether to eat meat or not) on the environment, on the general amount of suffering in the world, greedy corporate farms, etc., and then my mind boings in the opposite direction, and I think what does any of it matter? Does it really matter that animals die atrociously to bloat overweight fast food eaters, or that 35,000 children starve every day? None of us are getting out of here alive. Maybe the suffering and pain and waste make it all more meaningful.

No offense to Wiccans, of course.

I was going to cut myself after reading that, because the suffering and pain makes my futile life more meaningful, but instead I'm posting a lolcat.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 2009 July 10, 03:19:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@Zazazu:
That is an Inside Joke.

Zen Buddhists say: There is no Soul, no Buddha, no God.

But you have to know the context to understand this.
I wasn't offended. I just thought it was funny, the exact way you stated that with a direct link to a page about Buddhism. I've heard the "There is no Soul, no Buddha, no God." before. Like I said, I've been to a lot of temples. I've read a couple books by Lama Surya Das (master of the ramble, though there are some gems hidden throughout). I've taken college classes on Buddhism, and I used to do guided meditation at a Shambhala center, though that's more Tibetan Buddhism than Zen. Yay Buddhism. Though I did run into this guy while I was freaking out about having to walk on a sheet of ice one winter who gave me a card for one of those Buddha-as-God-with-a-capital-G sects. So not the original message.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Silverdrake
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: 2009 July 10, 15:20:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 2009 July 10, 16:40:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aww, the bunny is cute and fluffy. Be careful, it's so cute and fluffy, someone might try to eat it.  Tongue
Silverdrake
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: 2009 July 10, 18:30:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, bunnies have been known to chew through electrical cords - suicidal emo rabbits!
caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: 2009 July 10, 18:58:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The next time I have a Sim write a novel, I'm calling it Suicidal Emo Rabbits.
Silverdrake
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: 2009 July 10, 19:02:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, oh, that's tempting me to start a thread for novel titles! *restrains myself*

Speaking of which, I wish the bookstore could sell the ones written by sims. I keep feeding books to the omni plant in order to re-distribute them, but sometimes it just snarfs them up without producing copies.
caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 2009 July 10, 19:06:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I'd love for them to be able to buy copies of Sim authored books in the store. At least they can read them in the library, which is an improvement on the Sims 2 novels where only one copy existed ever.
Silverdrake
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: 2009 July 10, 19:09:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Except for Raymundo! makes me miss the bonfire from Uni.  Cheesy
Georgette
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 2009 July 10, 19:43:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, memories. Fire, evil cow mascots and sprinklers were the best part of Uni.
« Last Edit: 2009 July 10, 23:02:27 by Georgette » Logged

caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 2009 July 10, 20:20:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Except for Raymundo! makes me miss the bonfire from Uni.  Cheesy

You know, I think the next novel my Sim writes after Suicidal Emo Rabbits will be called The Agonizing Fiery Death of Raymundo.  Cheesy
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 2009 July 10, 21:33:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Too many character. I forget what the exact limit is, but it's shorter than that.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
caterpillar
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 2009 July 10, 21:37:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay then, 'DIAF Raymundo' would work for me.
chaos
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 2009 July 11, 00:44:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wish the bookstore could sell the ones written by sims.

You can have your sims sell their novels to the bookstore, and then the bookstore will sell them, but your sims lose their original copies, in the process, and would have to buy new ones, if you want them to have their own books.

Edit to remove unnecessary word.
« Last Edit: 2009 July 11, 21:57:38 by chaos » Logged

IN T/F J/P. Yeah, I know.
Silverdrake
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: 2009 July 11, 15:38:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did grow some copies of one of the books with the Omni plant, and sold the copies to the bookstore, but they didn't show up for sale after that Sad I didn't know they were at the Library - I hardly ever went there, because it was all the same trash in the bookshelves at home. Time to revisit! I'm hoping townies will mention my sims' books in conversations.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: