More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 15:12:18

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  A graphical glitch with adaptive anti-aliasing
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: A graphical glitch with adaptive anti-aliasing  (Read 15309 times)
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
A graphical glitch with adaptive anti-aliasing
« on: 2009 July 21, 18:02:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was going to post in an existing thread, but I got the necromancy warning, so I decided against it.

I just thought I'd post this up as a "The moar you know" kind of piece of information, since this glitch has a quick fix. If you turn on adaptive anti-aliasing with ATi Radeon HD4870 (probably applies to other cards, too), you will probably get this glitch. Turning off the adaptive anti-aliasing in the Catalyst Control Center should fix it. Just ran into it today upon having a new (well, hubby's old) video card installed. The trees and bushes glow at close view, and in map view look slightly different but still messed up.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
Re: A graphical glitch with adaptive anti-aliasing
« Reply #1 on: 2009 July 21, 20:07:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

With my card, turning adaptive anti-aliasing on didn't do that. However, it made hairs have that white speckled look that a bunch of people were complaining about earlier. Either way, adaptive anti-aliasing +ATI card+ Sims3 = fail.

Mine is a x1950Pro Sapphire.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Horrible Halfwit

DON'T PANIC!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2009 July 21, 21:00:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mine's the Radeon HD3200, and I pointed out (probably in one of the undead threads you pulled up) that turning on adaptive anti-aliasing gave me no other problems except balding sims.  Everything looked so smooth and sparkly like a baby's bottom, but so did my sims' scalps.  Very much DNW. 

Of course, I'd thought that quite a few other games have problems with ATI's lurvely AA, not just Sims 3.

Too many retards
cum heer n tipe jus liek dis
ENGLISH, LEARN YOU SOME

INTP, if you care about that.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 July 22, 03:24:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mine's the Radeon HD3200, and I pointed out (probably in one of the undead threads you pulled up) that turning on adaptive anti-aliasing gave me no other problems except balding sims.

Hmm, odd. I had a Radeon card before, but I don't think I ever tried to turn on adaptive anti-aliasing with that one, so I don't know how that card would have handled it. Good to know the glitches come in different flavors.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 July 22, 06:06:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had this problem, but it was not adjusting or even touching my anti-aliasing settings that fixed it. I had to lower my resolution settings. Adaptive anti-aliasing caused balding sims in my game.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
chaos
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 July 22, 06:10:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had to stop using adaptive antialiasing since TS2, because things like cribs, grills, and DJ booths that used alpha edits would get all wonky. Ah, it's comforting to know that nothing's changed.
[/sarcasm]

IN T/F J/P. Yeah, I know.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 July 22, 06:22:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

IgnorantBliss - I have the same card and had the same issue.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 July 22, 07:11:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had this problem, but it was not adjusting or even touching my anti-aliasing settings that fixed it. I had to lower my resolution settings. Adaptive anti-aliasing caused balding sims in my game.

Ah, yes. I play at 1600x1200. It could be that lowering the resolution would fix it, but I refuse to use my LCD screen at a non-native resolution  Tongue. However, I don't really mind playing without adaptive anti-aliasing since I don't know even what I'm missing  Cheesy.

IgnorantBliss - I have the same card and had the same issue.

What kind of a resolution do you play at? I'm curious now if that matters.

Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 July 26, 21:53:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*sigh* Why can't I leave well enough alone? Well I just updated to the new 9.7 drivers and now I'm getting graphical glitches and oddness. I'll have to play around and see if it enabled adaptive AA by default and if so disable it.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Horrible Halfwit

DON'T PANIC!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2009 July 26, 22:08:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good to know since I was thinking about doing the same thing.

I'm also curious about the resolution people are using.  I lowered mine to test out AA at a lower res and still got balding sims.

Too many retards
cum heer n tipe jus liek dis
ENGLISH, LEARN YOU SOME

INTP, if you care about that.
chaos
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 July 26, 23:46:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't used AA since before TS3 came out, but when I was playing TS2, lowering the resolution didn't help at all. My native resolution is 1680 x 1050 but I have it set to 1280 x 960 because it doubles as my TV and is thus a few feet away from me - I like to actually see what I'm reading or typing. Disabling adaptive antialiasing is the only thing that made a difference.

Edited for clarity. And because sometimes I are teh dumb.
« Last Edit: 2009 July 28, 22:15:21 by chaos » Logged

IN T/F J/P. Yeah, I know.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 July 27, 18:25:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm doing 1680x1050 windowed. It's my flat screen's native resolution.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
WhattaHammer
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 July 27, 20:49:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That sucks, but damn does it look pretty.

Written language is a great thing. Appriciate it. Cherish it. Utilize it. Do these things for it, and it will do great things for you.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 July 28, 15:37:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can't understand why anyone would turn on "anti-aliasing" at all. All it does is turn the game into a blurry mass of crap where nothing has sharp, clearly defined EDGES. I LIKE MY EDGES. I want my edges to be so sharp that you can CUT YOURSELF just BY LOOKING AT THEM. I don't want them to be SMOOTH! That defies the point of having them be EDGES! Edges should be like this:

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 July 28, 19:21:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I cannot attest to the accuracy of these claims, but according to EAxis:
ATI video driver's "Adaptive Antialiasing" option conflicts with ingame "Edge Smoothing." The combination causes visual corruption. A note has been added to the readme encouraging players not to enable these two features at the same time.
Hardin
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 July 28, 21:56:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can't understand why anyone would turn on "anti-aliasing" at all. All it does is turn the game into a blurry mass of crap where nothing has sharp, clearly defined EDGES. I LIKE MY EDGES. I want my edges to be so sharp that you can CUT YOURSELF just BY LOOKING AT THEM. I don't want them to be SMOOTH! That defies the point of having them be EDGES! Edges should be like this:
What video card do you have? A TNT 2? I haven't had blurry anti aliasing in years. I cringe every time I play a game with aa on. Even when my resolution is 1920x1080 aliasing is still very apparent.
chann
Corpulent Cretin

TS3: an "eye-opening tour de farce" (sic)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2009 July 28, 23:42:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ATI video driver's "Adaptive Antialiasing" option conflicts with ingame "Edge Smoothing." The combination causes visual corruption. A note has been added to the readme encouraging players not to enable these two features at the same time.

So, the programming equivalent of a warning sign...one that nobody will probably ever see at this point. Who's going to read it now?
Rider
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 July 29, 00:09:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can attest to this, it does what it says, it conflicts with ingame edge smoothing, I have ati hd2600 and this is like old news.
Falin
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 July 30, 21:55:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Been a few years since you used it? :p

Anti-aliasing on my rig turns what are normally hand-saw, jagged edges into razor blade edges.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: